cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Notice: UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down

TeamPrinter
Product Expert
Product Expert

Canon U.S.A., Inc. has recently become aware of a situation where select Canon inkjet printers continuously reboot or power down after the Canon logo appears if the product is connected to the internet. If this occurs, the printer cannot be used.

Update

When a printer is powered on and connected to the Internet, it will access an external server. Beginning on May 30, 2022, an update in information sent from the external server to the affected printer models resulted in an error that caused it to go through a continuous reboot or power down.

On June 7, 2022, the matter was resolved.

Note:  If the printer continues to reboot, turn it off or unplug the power cord from the printer.  Wait up to ten seconds, and then power on the printer.

Recommended Action

Although the matter is resolved, we recommend that the affected printer models’ firmware be updated to help prevent risk of reoccurrence.

Below are options to update the firmware on the affected printer models.

•  Option One (Recommended)

On nearly all the affected printer models listed below, the firmware can be updated from the printer’s operational panel while it is connected to the Internet.  The printer’s display will typically indicate when a firmware is available for updating via the operational panel.

See the table below to confirm if this option is supported by your printer.  If supported, click "Yes" under Option One for your printer model in the table below.  This will take you to Canon’s knowledgebase article for detailed instructions on updating the firmware.

• Option Two

For printer models whose firmware cannot be updated via the operational panel, the Remote User Interface (also referred to as Remote UI) can be used for this purpose.

See the table below to confirm if this option is supported by your printer.  If supported, click "Yes" under Option Two for your printer model in the table below.  This will take you to Canon’s knowledgebase article for detailed instructions on updating the firmware.

• Option Three

Alternatively, the firmware for each of the affected printer models can be updated immediately using an updater that is currently available on Canon’s website.  To use the updater, see the requirements listed below.  Please click "Yes" under Option Three for your printer model in the table below.  If the website does not automatically detect the computer’s operating system, select it from the Operating System drop-down.

v Requirements for Option Three:

• USB cable
  • Printer’s driver installed on the computer in which the firmware update will be performed

Affected printer models and link to its respective firmware update procedure:

Model

Option One

(Update Firmware from Operation Panel)

Option Two

(Update Firmware using Remote UI)

Option Three

(Update Firmware using Updater)

PIXMA iP110

-

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY iB4020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB2020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB2320

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB5020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB5320

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MG6620

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MG7520

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MX490 / MX492

Yes

Yes

Yes

Note:  If Canon determines that additional models are affected by this situation, we will issue an updated Service Notice.

Support

If you have not already done so, please register your Canon printer at MyCanon. By registering your product we will be able to notify you via email of any future announcements regarding your product.

This information is only for residents of the U.S.A. and its five territories. If you do not reside in the U.S.A. or its five territories, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region for registration purposes.

Thank You
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Get personalized support via MyCanon Account. Click here to get started.

65 REPLIES 65

gwhite2152
Contributor

Fixed?  only print on WS

gwhite that's where I was Saturday, with print on Ws which I don't want.  After much poking around I deleted the print Q object for it and I think I created another and then I monkeyed with the port assignments for the Q's until they matached up.  

Lostasusual
Apprentice

I am unable to download firmware for some reason on my laptop. Can this be done from a cell phone? I need to print and do not have the cable and I am far farm from being technically savvy? ugh ;/

I hate to go "old school" on you, but are you getting an error when trying to download?  Is it in your downloads folder and you just don't realize it?  Is your antivirus software blocking (protecting) you?  Sorry I don't work for Canon, so can't help about specific phone capabilities.

Deekennedy1175
Apprentice

I tried to do the firmware update and it said that I had the latest version but when I try to print, it starts turning off and on again 

Suebee
Apprentice

That such a major brand, could blow decades of trust for superior, dependable products (going back to at least 1969) is astounding. Since the day I replaced my HP printer, w/my Pixma MG - ironically on 6/2/15, exactly 7 yrs to date I turned it on (6/2/22) & it went berserk - I‘d frequently considered it one of the best purchase decisions I’d ever made.

For all of us who experienced this, and thought it was just our own printer failing, it was so unnecessary. When I read the posts from so many owners, of not just my model, and noted the date/time when the 1st users posted - it was initially a huge relief 🙆‍♀️ Thinking all I had to do was wait for a press release (or some news media) acknowledging there was a major issue, & that Canon was working on resolving it ASAP. Nope, zero zip nada. 🙈🙉🙊

I had stumbled across the Canon community site, while trying to search for info to help determine if my printer was dead, or worth fixing. I was not about to try any of the various work-around fixes mentioned, & risk screwing up all my internet connectivity for my iMac, iPhone & iPad. Tried calling Canon 800 # about 5 days in - lol, just to see if any mention of “Hey, we’ve had a problem & check back for updates.”

Gave that 1 hr 45 minutes, only confirmed that Canon was indeed pretending like there was no problem. So I just decided to stop wasting my time, & wait it out B4 calling my local ClickAway, knowing they’d answer their phone, & could give either a 👍 or 👎....

So decided it was time to bite the bullet. 6/16. Powered on my 🖨. It stayed on. Printed a shipping label, but too streaked w/gaps to be functional. So maybe it might be salvageable!
   Turned it on today, 6/17 - got display msg re: firmware update. More hope ! After trying all options, which were not accessible, or “occupied” I was so upset about getting sucked down the rabbit hole...when suddenly it started downloading. Then updating. Was waiting for the final sucker punch. But when I dared to hit “print” & worked exactly like normal, I could have cried. Except I’d never give Canon the satisfaction of how much torture we all went thru. 
   I’ll love my 🖨 for as many days it has left. But there is no way I’d ever buy another Canon product. The PTSD from this ordeal is permanent.

So I just realized the best path

Announcements