cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner Errors 15, 157, 0 on Pixma MX472 (Mac)

whatisaclaire
Apprentice

I just bought this printer and have been trying to get it to work with my Mac that's running OS X 10.7. At this point, I'm at a loss; I've tried plugging the scanner into the computer via USB, but that doesn't seem to get it to connect either. 

I connected it to the wireless network just fine. I just keep getting this message when I try to scan:

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:
- Scanner is turned off.
- (If using Wired LAN connection) It is disconnected from Wired LAN.
- (If using wireless LAN connection) Signal strength is poor due to obstructions.
- Network connection is prohibited by security software.
- Different scanner on the network is selected.

Please check and try again.

Code:15,157,0

And when I use the panel on the printer itself, it doesn't do anything--I can choose all of the settings I want, but when I press Start, it tells me to "Please wait a while" and then nothing happens.

If I don't figure this out soon, I think I may have to return it and find something else that's more Mac-friendly. I'm pretty tech savvy and am usually very patient with things like this, but I have no idea what else to do... I've spent several hours trying to get it to work.

Please help!!

14 REPLIES 14

Tiffany

Hi Whatisaclaire!

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forum! The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team.

Thanks!

Ramona
Authority

Hi whatisaclaire,

You will need to have the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX running on your computer in order to scan wirelessly.  To ensure it is running, from the Go menu of Finder, select Applications, then double-click the Canon Utilities folder, IJ Network Scanner Selector EX folder, then Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX icon.  If you still experience difficulty scanning, please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, 

I have the Canon MG5750 and get the same error. Do I need the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX? If so, where do I find it? I have installed printer, scanner and drivers multiple times... Thanks for any help!

Hi!

Since recently using an Epson scanner (to scan slides) which  is not connected except when used  , I am unable to scan from my Cannon 7700 Series printer / sacnner. and get the above message.. printing is fine.

If I click on preferences / printer / scanner - it recognises the printer / scanner - but when I click on scan I get the error message.

If I go through Applications etc I find it only recognises an old Canon printer (6300) I used to use and does not recognise the 7700 series - I have reloaded the printer driver but this does not help.

Your help will be most appreciated

meganraby
Contributor

I contacted support, telling them that I had tried unpluggin, repluggin, restarting, etc. They sent me here: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART140120&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&search...

...so, basically, they just told me to unplug it and replug it. Not helpful at all. I'm stuck. I have no idea how to fix this. Obviously there's some communication from the scanner to the computer, since it automatically boots the scan utility. But I just get the error message

"

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:
- Scanner is turned off.
- USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again.

Code:15,156,0"

Very disappointed. There's nothing wrong with the machine, as I can actually get it to work on my husband's Dell. Is it possible there's a software problem with getting it to work on Mac , running El Capitan?

CasCyber
Apprentice

Solution For a MAC

To scan, do not use Canon utility.

Go on upper left of your screen and click on the Apple

Click on System preferences

Click on printers and scanners

Once this is open you will see the list of printers you have

Click on your Canon printer

On the right of this window you will see Printer/Scanner

Click on scanner

and do your scans using this option.

Hope this helps

Thanks for tjhis, very helpful

@CasCyber wrote:

Solution For a MAC

Click on scanner

Hope this helps

@CasCyber wrote:

Solution For a MAC

Click on scanner

Hope this helps

Thnanks for this - but of a long ork around. Two things. Why is there no simple solution to this dilemma in the Quick Menu? And, I cannot help but wonder why when in Set Up I click on how to set up for Sierra on a M<ac it takes me to out of date instructions for Montain Lion (four years old). Thanks

I had the same problem, and as CasCyber said, it worked from System Preferences, and I was somewhat relieved. 
But it's not convenient to go there every time, so I tried reinstaling the IJ Scan Utility. Once I installed it (I guess it overwrote the old one), it now works fine!

Download it from here.

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0200482010.html

Hi, I have tried the following method you've mentioned. However, I am not able to select between printer and scanner. 

I am also not having the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX folder in my macbook. 

Kindly assist me on what could have went wrong? Thank you. 

2016-11-19_17-32-22.png

Announcements