cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor glossy photo printing: Pixma TS9500/Pixma TS9520 w Mac OS 12 (Monterey)

Planted101
Apprentice

Hello. I am facing an issue with my canon pixma ts9520 printer and MacBook Pro M1Mac os 12 laptop. I want high-quality, saturation-rich glossy photos; however, my printer is producing desaturated results.

I have the latest driver available for my printer and it had produced great results with my windows laptop which I can no longer use. I have tried different types of glossy papers and inks but with no success. I have set the Mac OS printing prompt to Photo > Best with no good results. I have tried directly connecting my laptop to the printer via USB and wirelessly. Same, bad results.

To get a good idea how desaturated the results are, I would have to re-feed the printed photo twice into the printer in order for me to get the same saturation I used to with Windows.

Currently, the issue is most likely with the driver, as I noticed the following differences with my MacBook:

1.) There is no separate canon application window for my canon printer when printing; t takes me to the default MacOS print window. Whereas on windows, there is a canon application window that opens separately with the print prompt which allows me to preview my print page and adjust the print quality as needed.

2.) When used with a windows laptop and/or the proper driver, the printer prints on glossy photo paper much more slowly than it does with the macOS laptop and/or latest driver. 

3.) Strangely, matte and normal paper don't seem to be affected and I'm able to produce good colors with these papers. It's only glossy paper.

I'm listing as much details as I can in hopes that there is a solution to my printer's strange behavior. I print art for a living and this printer is my lifeline. Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Planted101
Apprentice

SOLUTION:

Okay, so I figured it out after trying some more stuff.

1.) Make sure printing is set to Photo > Best

2.) On the PRINTER, go to settings > feed settings > Plus glossy II

This is assuming that there are no problems with the paper and inks, of course.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Planted101
Apprentice

SOLUTION:

Okay, so I figured it out after trying some more stuff.

1.) Make sure printing is set to Photo > Best

2.) On the PRINTER, go to settings > feed settings > Plus glossy II

This is assuming that there are no problems with the paper and inks, of course.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"1.) There is no separate canon application window for my canon printer when printing; t takes me to the default MacOS print window. Whereas on windows, there is a canon application window that opens separately with the print prompt which allows me to preview my print page and adjust the print quality as needed."

This is correct. The last macOS that had a dedicated printer driver was macOS 10.15. For macOS 11 and later you will be using the Apple AirPrint driver.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements