cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MP490 faint print on iMac, OK on Windows laptop

cholodoco7
Apprentice

I have a 10 year old MP490 that I had not used for about 2 months.  It is connected to an iMac, and had worked fine prior to the two month hiatus.  When I tried to use it after the two month period, the print quality is extremely faint.  It worked just fine when I hooked it up to my Windows laptop.  Any ideas of what the problem could be, and how to resolve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi cholodoco7,

The reason the printer will work on your Windows computer is because the printer is compatible with Windows XP through Windows 10. The last driver made for Mac was OS X Sierra 10.12.

You may be able to use the Mac OSx 10.12 driver with Mac OSx 10.13. If it does work, there may be some limitations which are unknown to Canon. 

To install the driver, please click here to access our Drivers and Downloads website, change the Operating System to Mac OSx v10.12. Download and install the MP490 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 16.10.0.0 option in the Drivers section.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi cholodoco7,

There may be a issue with the printer driver. Please let us know what version of Macintosh is installed on your computer? 

We look forward to your reply.

The Mac OS version is 10.13.6 and it cannot be upgraded on this machine.  Don't recall if I mentioned this in my original post, but I was able to hook up a Windows laptop, and the printer performed perfectly.

Hi cholodoco7,

The reason the printer will work on your Windows computer is because the printer is compatible with Windows XP through Windows 10. The last driver made for Mac was OS X Sierra 10.12.

You may be able to use the Mac OSx 10.12 driver with Mac OSx 10.13. If it does work, there may be some limitations which are unknown to Canon. 

To install the driver, please click here to access our Drivers and Downloads website, change the Operating System to Mac OSx v10.12. Download and install the MP490 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 16.10.0.0 option in the Drivers section.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I think you may have put me on the right path.  I called Apple support again.  They advised (if I understood her correctly) that I cannot go back to OS 10.12 unless I first back up everything to an external hard drive.  Not feeling comfortable doing that myself, I am going to make an appointment at the local Apple store Genius Bar, and ask them to do it.

I certainly appreciate your help.  

If that does not work, can you recommend a printer, preferably a Canon that uses the same ink cartridges (210 for black and 211 for color) as I already have a supply of that?

Fhecker
Apprentice

MP490 wouldn't work when I upgraded to MacOS Monterey - because Canon never updated their printer driver.  The printer is only used lightly and worked well prior to the OS  upgrade.  I had just bought a fresh set of inks.   Canon's only suggestion was upgrade to a new printer, even though the MP490 was completely operative.   I found a 3rd party app called Printopia which for $19.95 provides printing support for the MP490 under Monterey,

Canon should be shamed for trying to force obsolescence on a perfectly good piece of hardware and for their greed in trying to make me buy a new printer. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements