cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG6120 scanned to pdf with Windows 7 but not after I switched to Win 8.1/64

tomseeley
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pixma MG6120 printer that has scanned documents properly to a pdf file in the past, but will not do so now.

The last time I scanned a doc to pdf was July 1 when I was running Win 7 Home Premium with whichever driver was then installed.  The entire printer worked correctly in all modes.

I then bought a new desktop that came with Win 8.1/64.  I thought it would automatically update all my device drivers, and since all the print and copy functions on the Canon work right, until yesterday I had no reason to suspect anything was wrong.

Now when I try to scan a doc to a pdf file, I find I cannot scan anything, in any format, even though the other printer functions work fine. 

I have used Windows to check for up to date drivers and it reports that I have the correct one.  But there are two cryptic messages on the devices and printers "events" window when I review exactly which driver I do have:

• Driver Management concluded the process to install driver prncacla.inf_amd64_19fbb18075fefb90\prncacla.inf for Device Instance ID USBPRINT\CANONMG6100_SERIES\7&47229F9&0&USB001 with the following status: 0xE0000246.
  • Driver Management concluded the process to install driver mg6100p6.inf_amd64_7a61593f9c801b4c\mg6100p6.inf for Device Instance ID USBPRINT\CANONMG6100_SERIES\7&47229F9&0&USB001 with the following status: 0x0.

And I do not know how to determine exactly what driver or version I actually have.

I do not recall having messed up the settings but I must have.  But I cannot figure out how to reset them so that I can scan anything, even as a JPEG.  Here is the sequence of messages I get when I try.

• I put the doc in the correct position on the screen.
  • I choose scan and then press "black" to start scanning (or "color"; it doesn't matter)
  • it says "processing...please wait..."
  • nothing happens; the machine reverts to the original screen from which I can only try again, and nothing happens then either
  • so I get to where I can click "scan settings" .  I always forward scanned docs to my desktop PC via my USB cord
  • I click "scan settings" and I get:
  • size:  8 1/2 x 11 (which is what I want)
  • format:  PDF (which is what I want); there is an exclamation point and I can click "error details" so I do that.  I get:
  • "specified function not available with current settings.  Change the following setting(s):  Format"
  • So I change format to JPEG.  I click "black" and it says "processing...please wait" and then it reverts to the start window like it did when I tried to scan to a pdf; nothing works!
  • So I get back to where I can try to review the settings for pdf, and the only one I can change at all other than choosing JPEG, etc., instead of PDF, is something called "unsharp mask" on or off.  Choosing either one has no effect at all.  The printer will not scan at all, to a pdf or anything else.

I.e., nothing works. 

I'm thinking I don't really have the right driver, but Windows says I do.

Please help.

Thx.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Please make sure that our MP Navigator EX program is installed.  This program controls the scanner.

You can download the program from our website at the following link:

MG6100 Series Drivers & Softare

If additional assistance is needed, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Please make sure that our MP Navigator EX program is installed.  This program controls the scanner.

You can download the program from our website at the following link:

MG6100 Series Drivers & Softare

If additional assistance is needed, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Perfect! Canon corp support told me to reinstall the basic printer drivers but didn't tell me to install the MP Navigator EX driver. That solves the problem completely. Thank you, Michael!
Announcements