cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG2522 printer works but scanner claims it's not connected

amethyst
Apprentice

I've downloaded the full driver pack from the website, and the printer is working fine, the copying function is working fine--but when I click on any of the options in the IJ Scan Utility, I get this message:

"Cannot communicate with the scanner for these reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- USB cable is disconnected.

[...]

Code: 5, 156, 69

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Amethyst! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you can use your PIXMA MG2522 to print and make copies, but you are unable to use the IJ Scan Utility on your Windows 10 computer.

The error that you are getting (Code 5, 156, 69) indicates that the program is unable to communicate with the scanner. While it is possible that there is an issue with the scanner driver, the more likely cause is security software (or a setting) interfering with the communication. The communication is being blocked, so the computer thinks the scanner is turned off or disconnected.

If you have a security program installed on your computer, try disabling it before you use the IJ Scan Utility. If that does not help, I recommend that you try using a different program to test the scanner. For example, you can try using the Paint program to scan from your computer.

To scan from Paint, please do the following:

1. Click on the Windows Start icon (the left-most icon in the bar at the bottom of the computer screen) and then use your keyboard to type the word paint.
  2. When the search window appears, click on the Paint program that is listed as an application (app).
  3. When the Paint program opens, click on the File option in the top menu, and then click on FROM PRINTER OR SCANNER.
  4. Use the menu that opens to start scanning.

If you are able to print from your computer and you can scan from Paint or another Windows program like Scan and Fax, it is very likely that a security program or a computer security setting is preventing you from using the IJ Scan Utility. I recommend that you contact the security software developer or your computer manufacturer. They may be able to adjust the program by making an exception for the IJ Scan Utility.

If you believe there is an issue with the scanner driver, please follow these steps to delete the printer and uninstall the driver:

1. Turn the printer off and disconnect the USB cable. Leave the cable disconnected.
  2. Right-click on the Windows Start icon (the left-most icon in the bar at the bottom of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  3. When the Run window opens, type the words <  Control Printers  > in the box and then click on OK.
  4. When the Devices and Printers window opens, right-click on the icon for the MG2500 series printer and select REMOVE DEVICE to delete the printer. If there is no MG2500 series listed, go to the next step.
  5. Close the Devices and Printers window.
  6. Right-click on the Windows Start icon (normally located in the lower left corner of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  7. When the Run window opens, erase the words Control Printers and type the words <  Control Panel  > in its place. Then click on OK.
  8. When the Control Panel opens, click on UNINSTALL A PROGRAM or PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.
  9. When the list of programs opens, right-click on the Canon MG2500 series MP Drivers and select UNINSTALL.
  10. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the MP Drivers.
  11. Once the MP Drivers is removed from the list, close the Control Panel.
  12. Restart your computer.

When your computer has finished restarting, please open the following website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-mg2522

After the web page opens, please click on SOFTWARE & DRIVERS to the right of the picture of your printer. Then, you’ll see a list of Software & Drivers (showing 8 options). Please scroll down that list and look for the MG2522/MG2525 MP Drivers Ver. 1.02 that is 14.90 MB. It is the FOURTH one on the list. If you do not see the list of software, please make sure that the correct Operating System and Version is listed under Downloads.

Please click on the DOWNLOAD button to the right of the MG2522/MG2525 MP Drivers Ver. 1.02. When it finishes downloading, please run it and follow the instructions. Please do not connect the USB cable until that program tells you to turn the printer on and connect the cable.

When the installation is complete, you should be able to use the printer and the IJ Scan Utility.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi amethyst,

I can assist you with this, but would need a little more information.

What version of Windows is installed on your computer?

If you are using a Mac, what version of OSX is installed?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

amethyst
Apprentice

Hi, Patrick - I'm using Windows 10.

Hi Amethyst! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you can use your PIXMA MG2522 to print and make copies, but you are unable to use the IJ Scan Utility on your Windows 10 computer.

The error that you are getting (Code 5, 156, 69) indicates that the program is unable to communicate with the scanner. While it is possible that there is an issue with the scanner driver, the more likely cause is security software (or a setting) interfering with the communication. The communication is being blocked, so the computer thinks the scanner is turned off or disconnected.

If you have a security program installed on your computer, try disabling it before you use the IJ Scan Utility. If that does not help, I recommend that you try using a different program to test the scanner. For example, you can try using the Paint program to scan from your computer.

To scan from Paint, please do the following:

1. Click on the Windows Start icon (the left-most icon in the bar at the bottom of the computer screen) and then use your keyboard to type the word paint.
  2. When the search window appears, click on the Paint program that is listed as an application (app).
  3. When the Paint program opens, click on the File option in the top menu, and then click on FROM PRINTER OR SCANNER.
  4. Use the menu that opens to start scanning.

If you are able to print from your computer and you can scan from Paint or another Windows program like Scan and Fax, it is very likely that a security program or a computer security setting is preventing you from using the IJ Scan Utility. I recommend that you contact the security software developer or your computer manufacturer. They may be able to adjust the program by making an exception for the IJ Scan Utility.

If you believe there is an issue with the scanner driver, please follow these steps to delete the printer and uninstall the driver:

1. Turn the printer off and disconnect the USB cable. Leave the cable disconnected.
  2. Right-click on the Windows Start icon (the left-most icon in the bar at the bottom of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  3. When the Run window opens, type the words <  Control Printers  > in the box and then click on OK.
  4. When the Devices and Printers window opens, right-click on the icon for the MG2500 series printer and select REMOVE DEVICE to delete the printer. If there is no MG2500 series listed, go to the next step.
  5. Close the Devices and Printers window.
  6. Right-click on the Windows Start icon (normally located in the lower left corner of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  7. When the Run window opens, erase the words Control Printers and type the words <  Control Panel  > in its place. Then click on OK.
  8. When the Control Panel opens, click on UNINSTALL A PROGRAM or PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.
  9. When the list of programs opens, right-click on the Canon MG2500 series MP Drivers and select UNINSTALL.
  10. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the MP Drivers.
  11. Once the MP Drivers is removed from the list, close the Control Panel.
  12. Restart your computer.

When your computer has finished restarting, please open the following website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-mg2522

After the web page opens, please click on SOFTWARE & DRIVERS to the right of the picture of your printer. Then, you’ll see a list of Software & Drivers (showing 8 options). Please scroll down that list and look for the MG2522/MG2525 MP Drivers Ver. 1.02 that is 14.90 MB. It is the FOURTH one on the list. If you do not see the list of software, please make sure that the correct Operating System and Version is listed under Downloads.

Please click on the DOWNLOAD button to the right of the MG2522/MG2525 MP Drivers Ver. 1.02. When it finishes downloading, please run it and follow the instructions. Please do not connect the USB cable until that program tells you to turn the printer on and connect the cable.

When the installation is complete, you should be able to use the printer and the IJ Scan Utility.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

Using Paint worked great. I don't have time to follow up on the security program solution right now--super grateful to be able to get what I need to get DONE. 

Thanks!!!

Just wanted to say thank you, this worked for me. It scanned with paint. I only have windows defender so I allowed the utility and printer through but it still wouldn't scan so I reinstalled the drivers as instructed and it instantly scanned with the utility. 👍

Excellent solution, EXCEPT that version 1.02 for 14.9MB is no longer present as the fourth item on the list. The THIRD item on the list is a security patch at 42.41KB. And I've uninstalled my Canon device and print driver. NOW what do I do? 🤣🙈

Scratch my last. I found it; it's first on the list, under "recommended." Now, should I also install the security patch?

I am having the same issue, but with the Pixma MG2922. I've disabled the firewall (since this machine isn't internet-connected), but still no-go. Error code is similar (2,156,50), and the OS is Vista Home edition (32-bit). The drivers I installed were:

MG2900 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.01:  mp68-win-mg2900-1_01-ejs

MyPrinter:   mypr-win-3_3_0-ea11_2

Is there a different one that will fix this?

The machine will appear to begin scanning . . . and then stop, followed by the error code.

jsmchen12
Apprentice

what about the same issue for mac IOS 13

Announcements