cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo prints 8 x 10 with 7.8 x 10?

jaymack
Enthusiast

I have Canon iP7220 printer, new. I printed an 8x10 but there's a thin white rim about 1/8th so it's not true 8. I don't like those odd square prints as they're not real, try to find a frame for one of them. Anyways, Someone suggested that b5 size was good. How can I get a real 8x10.

11 REPLIES 11

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Try using our free Easy-PhotoPrint EX program to see if you can perform the 8x10 printout with the unit.  Visit www.usa.canon.com and search for your printer to access the downloads.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried your Easy Photo and printed 2 of the same photo and each (borderless) of them had different visible white edges, one was 1/8th along the bottom and the 2nd was 1/4 of white along the bottom. My Epson printer had no problem but finally died before Christmas so I bought the Canon.

Before this, I called Canon and the person there told me to get the Easy-Print. Unfortunately I already had the software which came with the printer. I also noticed there were no markings for 8x10, but had 4x6 and 5x7 markings on the top slide. Those two printed fine.

What's the problem with inability to print a classic 8x10 borderless?

I read somewhere that the reason printers and computers have those odd sizes is due to the fact that when computer screens came on the scene they were meant for writing on regular paper size, thus the odd printing. although my Epson did print 8x10.  When's the last time you found a picture frame 8 1/2 by 11?

Frustrating.

Easy Photo Print is a free Canon download. Did you crop the photo to an 8x10 format before you tried to print?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Not sure what you mean by cropping 8x10, 8x10 is the format although it doesn't show on my new Canon. Why would I have to crop it? 8x10 has been around for at least 60 years and still is sold.And stores still sell 8x10 frames.

My Epson easily made 8x10. 4x6 and 5x7 has markings.  I've been through 3 Canon people, none of who has any idea as to what I'm saying.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
8x10 is the print size you want, but an uncropped image would be in 2x3 aspect ratio.

If you print your image bordered on 8x10 I am betting you get uneven borders. When you go to print borderless the printer expands the image to cover the paper, but if the aspect ratio is much off 4x5 the expansion may not be enough.

Open your image in your editor, crop to 8x10 and then print borderless and see what happens.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, that's exactly what's happening. It was simple on the Epson, but it's gone. Since all my previous inkjet printers all did 8x10 I'm not quite sure how to crop. M

Sorry, accidentally pushed button before finished. Anyways, I'm know cropping as I worked in a film lab back in 1969 but cropping can be different things in digital. I'm using the Easy-thing software that comes with Canon printer. It's still confusing to me and I wonder why Canon killed 8x10. Although they still make the paper.

So, do I crop on my laptop screen onto the Easy software. It's probably really simple but I tend to make it difficult.

i'm not sure why you say  Canon killed 8x10. I attached a screen shot of Easy PhotoPrint EX. I circled the crop tool in red.

The image is from camera, so its 8x12 equivalent. The crop overlay shows how I can make it an 8x10 image; I loose some of the image.

Capture.JPG

You can also go into the printer driver and change how much extension the printer applies in borderless printing.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John, I appreciate the time you're taking. My comment on Canon is that the paper size the last 4 printers I had gave me the 8x10 slot. Canon printer slots has A4, LTR, B5 and A5. I used B5 just to see what it does.

Re: cropping, I don't want to crop, I want to print a photograph from the full image of my camera. I tried the Easy Image Garden etc. software and used the 8x10 just like the image you did. On three prints, I got a white trim on the bottom of the prints 3 different times. One was about 1/8th, another was 1/4 and the other vaguely between, almost impossible to make clean cuts on my cutter.

This is for a job, so I'm going to have to find another way to make an 8x10 with good paper.

thanks anyways

Jim

Announcements