cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon Pixma MX420 scanner driver is not conpatible with Windows 8 64 bit.

rlhag
Contributor

I have tried all the drivers.  All I get is a window stating Cannot start MP Navigator EX.  Everything works except the scanner.  It just disappeared.  Are there any compatible drivers that actually work for my Windows 8 64bit?

7 REPLIES 7

Karl1
Rising Star

hi rlhag,

There may be a third party scanner driver interfering with MP navigator.  Please try the following:

1.  Put your mouse in the top right corner to open the Charms menu and click Search.

2.  In the search field, type File Explorer, then open the File Explorer program when it displays.

3.  On the left-hand pane, click the down arrow beside Computer.

4.  Click the down arrow beside Local Disk (C: ).

5.  Click the down arrow beside Windows to open the folder

6.  Highlight the twain_32 folder.

7.  The folder should have a folder that starts with PIXMA MX420 and a file called wiatwain.ds.  Any other folders or files should be dragged to the desktop. 

8.  Reboot the computer and try scanning again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

There is a waitwain.ds. file and it had a USB 800 file that was empty and I dragged it to the desktop. No file for my Pixma MX420. Solutions?

Hi rlhag,

This means that the scanner driver was not installed correctly.  What we should do is try to reinstall the drivers while in Selective Startup to see if this helps.  What this will do is disable all background programs and should allow the scanner to install correctly.  Please perform the following:

1.  Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard. In the Run Windows’s ‘Open box:' type ’msconfig’ (Without the quotation marks) and click ‘OK’.

2.  Click on Selective Startup, then uncheck the two boxes.

3.  Click Apply, then OK.

4.  Confirm the reboot.

We can then perform the reinstall.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Put the PIXMA MX420's CDROM in the CDROM drive.  If the welcome screen appears, exit it. 

2.  Click on Start and then Run.  If Run is not in your Start menu, please follow these steps to add it:

2-1.  Click Start.

2-2.  Right click the Start menu and left click on Properties.

2-3.  Click on the Customize button next to 'Start Menu'.

2-4.  In the Customize Start Menu window, place a checkmark next to 'Run Command'.

2-5.  Click OK in the Customize Start Menu window.

2-6.  Click OK in the Properties window.

3.  Click Browse.  In the browse window, on the left hand side in the row of big icons, click on My Computer. 

4.  In the window to the right, double click the CANON_IJ CDROM. 

5.  Double click the folder named WIN.

6.  Double click the folder named Driver.

7.  Double click the folder named DrvSetup.

8.  Double click the file named DELDRV64.  In the Run box click ok.  Follow the on-screen prompts to remove the driver.

Once complete, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start and then Run.

2.  In the window to the right, double click the CANON_IJ CDROM. 

3.  Double click the folder named WIN.

4.  Double click the folder named Driver.

5.  Double click the folder named LAN.

6.  Double click the file named CNMNPU.exe.

7.  In the Run box click ok.

8.  Follow the prompts to uninstall.

9.  Once complete, restart the computer.

To install the unit for use over your network wirelessly, please follow these steps when the computer restarts:

1.  Press the <Setup> button.

2.  Use the up or down button to select Yes for Wireless LAN activate and press <OK>.  Once enabled, the Wi-Fi lamp lights blue.

3.  Select Easy setup and press <OK>.

4.  Select your access point name and press <OK>.

5.  Enter your WEP key and press <OK>.  Please verify the WEP, as it is case sensitive and if entered incorrectly, will cause the printer and router to not communicate.  To switch between letters and numbers, press the * key.

6.  Press <OK> on the confirmation screen.  The PIXMA MX420 will search for the access point.

7.  When found, press <OK> on the Connected to the access point screen.

8.  Take out and then reinsert the CDROM that came with the PIXMA MX420.  The setup program will start automatically.

9.  If the Autoplay screen appears, click Run and then Continue.

10.  Click on Easy Install.

11.  When the Easy Install screen appears, click Install and then "Use the printer with wireless LAN connection" and follow the prompts to complete the installation.

After it is installed, we need to return to Normal Startup.  To do this, press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard. In the Run Windows’s ‘Open box:' type ’msconfig’ (Without the quotation marks) and click ‘OK’.  Click Normal Startup and then try to use the printer.

I really appreciate your help! I have a barn camera streaming live at all times. Today I stopped and disconnected it to perform your previous suggestion. I will do the same tomorrow, it also resets the flash encoder, and allows me to update windows during the daytime. At night we all watch my mare who is overdue to foal, and they usually foal at night. So tomorrow I will try these suggestions.

Okay, here it is late October and I still cannot use your last instructions.  I have a start screen on this Windows 8 but no start menu to right click, then left click on properties.  I have tried to type in properties on the start screen, no can do. I USED to be able to on my Windows XP, but I could also use my dang scanner on Windows XP.  I need this solved, I have a very expensive yet useless Canon multi function printer.

Okay, my laptop likes to make an idiot of me. After 10 months, I just tried the driver in my downloads again. It worked and everything loaded like it should. All my functions for scanning show up again, haven't tried it. Now I am not the only one who tried to get this going, can't figure why all of a sudden the drivers did, but very happy about it. Thank you for your help.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Additional troubleshooting will have to be done to narrow down the cause of your issue.  Please contact our support group using the link below for additional assistance with this matter.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements