cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxify 2720 - Removing Full (but Defective) Ink Cartridge

BayHarbor
Apprentice

I installed a new Magenta ink cartridge in my printer.  The Printer recognizes it but no ink will dispense.  As a result, my printing is all green and yellow. I have tried cleaning and deep cleaning with no success. 

I don't know how to center the ink carrier so I can remove and replace the defective cartridge.  I don't want to damage the mechanism.

2 REPLIES 2

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi BayHarbor! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that your MAXIFY MB2720 is not printing colors correctly after you installed a new ink cartridge.

You mention that your prints are coming out green and yellow. In that case, I believe it is the magenta ink that is not making it to the page. You also mention that the printer is recognizing the cartridge and not displaying an error.

It’s very likely that the nozzles for the magenta ink are clogged (dry). It’s like trying to write with a dry pen. None of the ink is coming out of the nozzles.

The nozzles are not part of the cartridge. The cartridge supplies the ink to the print head which contains the nozzles. To troubleshoot this issue, I recommend that you print a nozzle check pattern. This pattern will show which inks are missing and which nozzles are clogged.

The remedies for clogged nozzles are the Cleaning and Deep Cleaning options in the printer’s maintenance menu. If the cleaning does not help, you can perform a deep cleaning. After each cleaning or deep cleaning, you can print a nozzle check pattern to see if the ink has returned.

Should the first cleaning/deep cleaning set not work, I recommend that you wait at least 6 hours. That will give the ink time to soak through the clog and loosen it. Then, you can perform another cleaning/ deep cleaning and print the nozzle check pattern.

If the problem is not resolved after the second set of cleaning/ deep cleaning, you should wait another 6 hours. Then, do a third set of cleaning/ deep cleaning.

You’ll find the instructions for printing the nozzle check pattern and cleaning the nozzles in the following section of the online manual:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/All/MB2700%20series/EN/BG/bg-maintenance1000.html

If you would rather use your computer to perform the cleaning operations, you’ll find the instructions here:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/MB2700%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-overview05_01.htm... (Windows)

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/M/MB2700%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-overview05_01.htm... (Mac)

The only recommended solution for clogged nozzles is the cleaning and deep cleaning options available at the printer or on your computer. If the cleanings do not bring the magenta back to the page, the nozzles may be too dry to unclog. In that case, I recommend contacting Canon support if the printer is still under warranty.

If the magenta ink does come back, I recommend the following tips:

• Use the printer at least once a month (preferably once every two weeks) to keep the ink flowing through the nozzles.
  • Replace the inks as soon as they run out to keep the nozzles from drying up before the next cartridge is installed.

There is not a way to remove an ink cartridge after it has been installed. You can damage the printer. The ink would also start spilling out as soon as the cartridge is pulled out.

Through our Canon Upgrade Program, we can offer you a discount and free shipping on a new printer if the warranty is expired. If you are interested in that, please call (866) 443-8002 from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time), Monday through Saturday to speak with one of our sales agents who would be happy to help you.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

BayHarbor
Apprentice

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful response.  I performed the cleaning and deep cleaning procedures several times.  I was also able to move the carriage and try alternative cartridges without damaging the mechanism.  (There is actually a youtube video on removing an ink cartridge before Ink has run out).  Unfortunately, I was not able to get the magenta ink to print at all.  I finally ordered a new printer.  It is a shame as the unit was otherwise working well.  I may keep it for black and while printing.  Thanks again.

Announcements