cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX490 FINE color cartridge disables black ink cartridge

rmbrewerwv
Apprentice

Please tell me what I need to do.  I bought my daughter the MX490 to use for school.  Now I find out that since it has a FINE color cartridge the black cartridge will not work when trying to print documents.  On-line and troubleshooting says that if a FINE color cartridge is installed it will only use the color cartridge and disables the black cartridge.

IS there a work around?  IS there such a thing as a regular (Unfine) color cartridge?  I need help on this.  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe if you select Plain Paper you can use the pigment black ink. 
Stated the other way, you can only use the pigment ink cartridge if you select Plain Paper. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe if you select Plain Paper you can use the pigment black ink. 
Stated the other way, you can only use the pigment ink cartridge if you select Plain Paper. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have tried that a couple of times.  Even changed the print settings from draft to standard to best and tried to print black only.  Still does not work.  I tried with plain paper, which is my default setting, and still no luck.  As I said above trouble shooting said if you are using a FINE color cartridge it will always go to it and not the black only cartridge.  Can I run the printer without the color cartridge?  

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-01-24 155921.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

rmbrewerwv
Apprentice

Thank you so much.  I will try this tonight.  I hope it works as I have tried most everything else I can think of. I was head of an IT department for a banking institution with several locations for 30+ years.  Just think of doing this.

Thanks again  

marypr2
Apprentice

I could finally print with black ink when I changed to plain paper.  I  have no idea how it got off of plain paper in the first place.  Just glad I can now print with black.  I guess I used up my color cartridge using that instead of the black.  What a waste.

Announcements