cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep PIXMA MX475 from making noise in the middle of the night.

pisula
Apprentice

Hello all,

I have a MX475 that I purchased a few weeks ago.  It has woken me up 2 times in the middle of the night since we bought it, and I want to know, short of shutting it down every night, is there a way to keep it from doing whatever it is doing during that time?

Details:

• About 4am last night, the printer made some loud noises (I'm guessing print head cleaning?)
  • The printers time had not been set yet, and was off by about 3 1/2 hours from real time.  So, from the printers perspective, it woke me at 7:30 or 8am.
  • I have the printer set to use "Quiet mode" already (that doesn't seem to help with this)
  • We leave the printer on at all times right now
  • In the past 2-3 weeks, it has woken me up 2 times in the middle of the night (at different times it seems)

Steps (Did the following just now, to see if it would help...)

• Fixed the time, to match reality...
  • I changed the "Quiet Mode" to a schedule (quiet between 21:00 and 09:00), in hopes that the printer is smart enough to then avoid these loud noises during that period of time.

Question

• What is this noise?  Is it a regular cleaning?  

Assuming it is...

• What is the regular schedule?  
  • Can the regular schedule of this operation be controlled?

TL;DR -- how do I keep this printer from waking me up randomly in the middle of the night! 😉

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Question

• What is this noise?  Is it a regular cleaning?

Please be realistic.  You can't expect that anyone would be able to tell you what a noise was without actually hearing it. 

You want us to guess?

Maybe its losing power briefly?

Maybe its charging the ink system?

FYI, Quiet Mode does not mean the printer will be completely silient between the selected periods.

Quiet Mode Setting 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

> Please be realistic.  You can't expect that anyone would be able to tell you what a noise was without actually hearing it. 

Ditto 🙂  

As I said, it woke me up.  Didn't have my phone handy, ready to record.

Next time it happens, I'll try to do a better job remembering what it sounds like, and then ... run the "Cleaning" maintenance to see if it is the same.

Best I can remmeber though, it sounds like the "Cleaning" maintenance. (not deep cleaning)

Maybe you can answer…

- does the "Cleaning" phase auto run from time to time, say once a week or so?

- or are there any well known maintenance things that run on a automated schedule?

Maybe you can answer…

- does the "Cleaning" phase auto run from time to time, say once a week or so?

- or are there any well known maintenance things that run on a automated schedule?

The answer to both questions is basically yes.  The printer might "charge" itself if it doesn't detect correct readiness to print.  Many canon printer's have this "logic" built in to ensure optimal performance.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for confirming

> Please be realistic.  You can't expect that anyone would be able to tell you what a noise was

“the printer made some loud noises (I'm guessing print head cleaning?)

Loud noises, similar to print head cleaning, seems descriptive enough.

If you simply don’t know the answer or don’t want to help, why bother replying at all? Also read the forum guidelines, as to what this forum is meant for, and how to interact with other users.

Announcements