cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5220 Driver is unavailable

Kenttiffany
Apprentice

Hello,

I have this printer on two other computers and one laptop and it works perfectly on those 3. But when I go to add it to another laptop I just got, it downloads but it says Driver unavaibable. On my new laptop I have windows 11. Am I suppose to download a driver somehow? I never had to do that before on the other computers. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Thank you. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The MG5220 is a 12 yr old printer.  Currently, no drivers are available for Windows 11, and I do not know if drivers will be released to support this OS.

You can try using/installing windows 10 drivers in compatibility mode.  They may or may not work or might work with limited functionality.

Support | MG Series | PIXMA MG5220 | Canon USA

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Kenttiffany,

As Rick stated, the PIXMA MG5220 is not supported with Windows 11.  You can try downloading and installing teh Windows 10 drivers, but this is not supported and would be done at your own risk.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monady throuigh Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The MG5220 is a 12 yr old printer.  Currently, no drivers are available for Windows 11, and I do not know if drivers will be released to support this OS.

You can try using/installing windows 10 drivers in compatibility mode.  They may or may not work or might work with limited functionality.

Support | MG Series | PIXMA MG5220 | Canon USA

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Kenttiffany,

As Rick stated, the PIXMA MG5220 is not supported with Windows 11.  You can try downloading and installing teh Windows 10 drivers, but this is not supported and would be done at your own risk.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monady throuigh Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

So you are a Canon employee and don't know about the option to print via the LPR protocol?

Groovydust
Apprentice

This stinks.  I know what the response is going to be from Canon.  I am using this printer on a MAC with OS 11.6   The computer will recognize it as a scanner, but won't recognize it for printing.  Certainly, this could be solved by duplicating some small file and changing a few lines of code.   Because of this, you want me to buy a newer printer when this printer works perfectly fine?   

I found a workaround and posted it for Windows. Maybe there is also a LPR way for macOS.

Splitframe
Apprentice

For everyone that lands here because their MG 5200 series or other old Canon network printer do not work with windows 11 anymore there is a fix / workaround.

Make sure your printer supports "LPR" and that it's enabled! The MG 5250 (mine) definitely does.
In Windows go to settings and search for "windows features" then select "turn windows features on or off".
There enable LPD Print Service and LPR Port Monitor.

Next go to settings again and Bluetooth & Devices -> Printer and Scanners.
If you already had your Printer installed select the Canon and then "printer properties".
There go to the "Ports" tab uncheck the "Canon BJ Network" entry and add a new port.
There select LPR Port and as adress use the IP Adress of your Canon. Name can be anything I think.
Create the port and then close the small window (if it doesn't close itself). In the Port list
should be a new entry with the format "ipadress:name" where both are what you just entered so
probably starting with "192.168.". Make sure it's checked. Apply and OK out.
Printer should now work.

I can't get the printer to install at all so I can't go to the ports. How can I get it to install so I can try this?

normadel
Authority
Authority

I have an MG5420 that works perfectly in Windows 11  with the Windows 10 software/driver. Also a Pixma iX6520.

There is no "risk" to trying the  Windows 10 driver on Windows 11.  Either it installs and works or it doesn't. Windows 10 and 11 are not so different "under the hood" that they can't use the same driver, most likely. 

Splitframe
Apprentice

I don't know about printing through USB, but network does not seem to work even in compatibility mode.

Announcements