cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 How Do I Turn Off Color Ink?

ryevick
Contributor

I have the MX922 and it is using up color ink fast even with the preferences set to grayscale printing. How do I disable use of color ink and monitoring? I'm sick and tired of having to buy color ink cartridges when I am only printing black text documents!

22 REPLIES 22

yes, you're right, i'm making it all up.,, i have nothing better to do

I just noticed this thread has 9479 views. Seems like A LOT of people want to know the answer to the simple title of this thread.

What about replacing the color cartridges with blank ink cartridges? 

Plain paper has nothing to do with the ink!

At the suggestion of another comment here I went to my printer options for the TR4500 to fix this same issue. I have printed 5 copies of the same black and white picture, absolutely no colors, and no matter what settings I put it on, it still prints grey. My current settings are set to print with black ink only, as that's an option. However, when I try to print, even after turning off "let the app change my printing preferences," a pop up error tells me, "The [Print With] setting below will be disabled if you print with the current print settings.

Print With: Black Only"

So no matter what *I* want, the printer is set up to do what *it* wants. Why have those options in there if I can't use them? Was the point just to give me the illusion that I could do what I want? As soon as I can I'm getting another printer that isn't a Canon. This is shameful. I don't want grey pictures, I want BLACK pictures.

This is how I print with black only on a TS5300:
1. Page Setup->Print Options->Print with: Black Only
2. Media Type: Plain Paper

It seems that selecting some other media types (e.g. photo paper) will give the warning "[Print With] setting will be disabled"

VTprinter
Apprentice
Will you please answer the question why you cannot turn off the color ink? I am tired of blowing through color just printing black documents.

It sounds like you might be able to print using only the black cartridges by specifying MONOCHROME or BLACK & WHITE instead of grayscale. I haven't tried it myself, but that sounds like it may work.

Or - someone earlier mentioned swapping all the color cartridges with black.  If that does work, you won't be able to use the printer for color printing again without changing the printhead.

VTprinter
Apprentice
I specify Black and White and it still uses color. I am blowing through color cartridges while the larger black cartridge remains unused. This is true with my windows device, Mac and iPad. Cannon, How about some help? Ryevick got the run around. This is not a PICNIC error.

I've found another method.

I'm using a Canon TS9120 on Windows, so it may be different for others.

Wtihin the 'Devices and Printers' section of the Control Panel:

1. RIGHT-select the printer and choose 'Printing Preferences' from the drop-down menu
  2. At the top of the next window, select the tab 'Page Setup'
  3. Near the bottom of that page, select 'Print Options'
  4. Another window should open, select the 'Print With' dropdown menu and choose the 'Only PGBK (Black)' option.
  5. Select 'OK' until you exit the opened windows

That might do it.  It works for us.

original post:

Do you have a choice for monochrome instead of Black & White? If not, I'm all out of ideas on that.

Announcements