cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely blurry photo printing on glossy 4x6 photo paper

LonnieC
Contributor

I have a new PIXMA MX992 with my Mac Mini. Everything prints as it should except 4x6 photos on glossy photo paper from the upper tray.  If I load glossy 8x10 photo paper in the lower tray, I can print a 4x6 photo on it perfectly.  The same photo from the upper tray on 4x6 paper appears grossly out of focus, blurry, and remains wet for a long time, as it uses way too much ink.  When I tried printing a 4x6 photo from the upper tray, on a piece of regular paper cut to 4x6, it printed perfectly.  Any idea why I'm getting a truly terrible print with glossy paper?

Thanks in advance for any help.

12 REPLIES 12

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi LonnieC,

What brand glossy paper are you using?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm using Staples "Photo PLus" 4x6 paper.  I used Staples "Photo Basic" 8x10 paper.  The 4x6 paper printed terribly.  The 8x10 paper printed very well.

Hi LonnieC,

Please try using Easy-Photo Print EX to print your image.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start go to All Programs.

2.  Click on Canon Utilities and point to Easy-PhotoPrint EX.

3.  Click on Easy-PhotoPrint EX to open that program.

4.  In the main menu, click on Photo Print.

5.  Next to #1, Select Images, choose the folder that your images are located in.

6.  On the right side, click on a photo to print.  A number 1 should appear below the image.

7.  Click on the #2 button, Select Paper, on the left hand side.  Choose your 4" x 6" and Plain Paper.

8.  Click on the #3 button, Layout/Print, on the left hand side.  Choose your desired layout.

9.  Click the green Print button.

How does your image print?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Sorry.  I'm using a Mac.  The commands you suggested are not the same.

Thanks anyway.  I do appreciate your help.

L. Clar

Hi LonnieC,

To print using the Easy-PhotoPrint EX application from your Mac, please follow these steps:

1. Go to your GO menu and select APPLICATIONS.

2. From the APPLICATIONS folder, please double-click on the CANON UTILITIES folder and then select the Easy-PhotoPrint EX application.

3. Once you are in the Easy-PhotoPrint application, you will see a folder structure on the left-hand side where you can select a photo or image. Please navigate to the location of the photo/image you would like to print. When you do, all available images in that location should appear in the right pane of the window. Please note: If a screen appears with options to Photo-Print, Create an Album, Sticker Print, etc., please select the PHOTO-PRINT option to view the area with the folder structure.

4. Underneath each of the photos appearing in the right pane of the window, you will see an up and down arrow, as well as a "0". Please click the UP arrow once underneath the image you would like to select, then click the PAPER SELECTION tab.

5. Please select the desired PAPER SOURCE, PAPER SIZE, and MEDIA TYPE, then click the LAYOUT/PRINT tab at the top of the window.

6. Please select the desired layout from the left-hand pane of the window. When you do, a preview of what the image should look like when printed will appear in the right-hand pane of the window.

7. Once you have selected a layout, please click the PRINT button. The photo/image should print. Is the quality improved when printing from Easy-PhotoPrint?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry.  I just had a chance to try your advice.  I got as far as double-clicking on the Canon Utilities folder.  However, there was no "Easy-PhotoPrint EX" application, nor anything that looked at all like it, so I couldn't follow your next step.

I tried making another print, in hopes that now that the printer has been operating for a while (and printing everything other than "4x6 prints on photo paper from the upper tray" very well), it might print what I wanted.  No luck.  I still got a heavily inked, blurry print.  So, no luck.

I certainly appreciate your help, and apologize for the long delay in responding to you.

Thanks again.

Hi again LonnieC,

Since Easy-PhotoPrint EX is not installed on your Mac, we can download it from the Canon USA website so that you can print the photos from it to see if the quality is improved.  Please click here to go to the Drivers and Software page for the PIXMA MX922.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "SOFTWARE" section and click the EASY-PHOTOPRINT EX file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded the Easy-PhotoPrint file, please double-click on the file and follow the steps provided to install it on your Mac.  Once the program is installed, please follow the steps in our previous reply to print a 4 x 6 photo; is the print quality improved?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Nothing.  You've been very helpful, but I keep hitting a wall wnehever I try something you've suggested.

The latest is that I can't seem to pull up my iPhoto pictures when I try to get them through Easy-Photoprint EX.  I can't seem to find iPhoto in the long listings of files that show up.

I appreciate all of your help, but I quit.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU, AND I DECIDED TO TRY THE MATT SIDE OF MY PAPER, THAT WAS BY HAVING THE MATT SIDE FACING UP.  AND BINGO, IT WAS PERFECT AND SHINY TOO.  THEN I REALISED THAT YOU DON'T HAVE THE SHINY SIDE FACING UP, YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT FACING DOWN.

Announcements