Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code B200

grampatex
Apprentice

Suddenly error code B200 no explanation in manual have canon pixma mx850

103 REPLIES 103

More than likely need a new print head to fix it. But might as well buy a new printer.

I tried your fix for this code message .  Did not work.  Please advise another solution.

Hi -

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I was going to write in as a few days ago, the B200 code came up once again for me. I have utimatley figured out (for me), that the print head needed replacing. Period. And this may be your final solution as well. I found print heads on eBay for around $60.00, but instead I chose to buy a new printer. One reason is that this code wasn't my only issue. Prior to my PIXMA coding for the 3rd time, it wouldn't print certain .pdf or word documents. Some would be blank or have half a page printed, it also was having a hard time staying connected to Wi-Fi for the first time ever. There were more problems than just this code. So, for $89 I bought the new PIXMA 922 at BJ's. I am not happy having to do this, but in the end it was the better option. I am also not happy that I only got 2 years out of my first machine with moderate usage.

I have no other advice but to either get a new head or a new machine. I wish I had better news. The new printer works great! But will it for only two years? Who knows.

A bit disgruntled. Woman Frustrated

Diana

Hi Mworrick,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I don't have any other solution to suggest. You may try the cleaning of the print heads, but, as you see in other posts, that's not guaranteed to work either.

My MX850 has been running fine for 5 years and I'm fairly happy with it. The solution I gave has worked for me and I haven't had a problem since my last post. Apparently this error doesn't call for only one solution.

Bye.

Here's my 2 cents worth.  I tried Diana's solution to clean my print head (never had done and probably 4+ years old) and it worked.  At least for awhile.  About a week later the dreaded B200 came back.  I cleaned the head again and it worked for maybe a week before the B200 came back.  This time I tried the solution of pressing the power key simaltaniously with the back arrow on the OK key and after about 5 presses I could hear the printer reset and the B200 error went away.  Yeah, for several days.  I have been able to get it back running by using the last solution although it might take 15-20 presses or turning the printer off for several hours and retrying, but it eventually comes back.  I have found that if I have to change cartrigdes or run out of paper I will certainly get the B200 back, but it also comes back just printing.

I talked with someone more knowledgable than I who said it was probably caused by a bad printer head or the hard drive on the printer was going bad.  Since it worked after cleaning the print head, it most likely was the hard drive going bad.  I will try to keep fixing it until I can't any more and the buy a new printer.

Bill G.

Before getting into the print head cleaning, try just removing all the print cartridges and re-powering the printer up. Hopefully it will go through a complete cycling and come up with the message "can't recognize print cartridge," or something similiar. At that point re-install cartridges, (making sure they all have ink in them) and re-cycle the power. Be sure all the cartridges are pushed down all the way to the "click" and locked down.

If the cartridge ass'y is all the way to the right, just pull gently on the ribbon cable until it's accessable. 

Pulling the ribbon cable is very bad advice, think about it. What if the head is jammed or locked, the cable may become dislodged or broken.

A B200 error means 'Abnormal head voltage', visit help and support for your model and check the error code.

There is one thing you could try and appears quite logical,  get the print head in the middle either by doing a 'change cartridge, power ON wait for the cleaning cycle then open the top and remove the plug the hard should be unlocked and freely  moveable.

Removed the print head, with a clean soft cloth moistened in warm water clean the gold contacts on the back, then try again. DO NOT touch, or scratch the print head nozzels on the bottom.

A B200 error usually means a new print head..... you will be very lucky should a new one work, because when the print head goes it sometimes takes the logic board. Should the logic board be faulty 'pop' goes the new print heat.... and these are NOT returnable.

Sometimes a B200 error will pop up and a series of flashes of either amber or green, or amber lights and green might flash alternatively - count the flashes, i.e  the amber or green and amber flashes 10 times, pause and flash another 10 and so on until the printer is powered down.

The correct way to release a print head is to turn the large gear on the left hand side, this unlocks the head parking unit, the head can then be easily slid by grasping the head unit..... not the ribbon cable. Sometimes the wiper breaks off and jams the head, this will also cause error codes.

Dave

Nice answer. Too bad it does not work.

I have this in Pixma MG5220.

I cleaned the print heads and the "parking area". To no avail.

A new printhead is $90 and not sure that it will solve the problem and not returnable.

I'm buying an Epson Expression Premium XP 830 for $130. And it's also cheaper on ink maintenance than the Pixmas according to Consumer Report. 

Hello:

The Ink tanks are all to the right and not accessible.  I unplugged the power cord, waited the 30 minutes.  Checked that there were no paper jams. Plugged the power cord back in. The ink cartridges still were not accessible.  I pulled the ink cartridge carriage to the right to make it accessible. It slid without resistance very smoothly to center. I removed the cartridges, pulled and replaced the head. Replaced the cartridges. Shut it off. restarted it , same Error code.  What to do next?

Announcements