cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility of Canon MX870 & MG5620 with new Mac OS Catalina...

larryis1
Contributor

I have not upgraded yet to Mojave to Catalina on my two iMac (27" & 21.5", both 2019 versions).  Does anyone know or have experience yet with OS Catalina compatability with both the AIO Canon MX870 & MG5620 printers?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,  Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sure...I got the instructions from here:

https://www.dmoonc.com/posts/canon-pixma-mx870-and-macos-catalina/

I followed the instructions on this page, and it was a mostly smooth trip.  I may have had to reboot after copying the PPD file to the appropriate location, but it eventually worked.

Now, I also wanted to change some of the default settings, but couldn't figure out how to do that in the normal printer dialog boxes.  Since macOS uses the CUPS printing system, you can go into the CUPS setup for the printer and find a lot of default items to change to your liking.

To get to the interface, you may first need to enable the web interface.  To do that, open up the Terminal and enter the following:

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

Once you do that, access the interface from a web browser by entering this in the address box:

localhost:631

When prompted, enter your account name and password.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

This worked for me sort of but only works when my old computer is open and seems to act as a server.  When the old computer is closed my printer says it is offline.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

I know this thread is a little old, but it totally worked. I was able to get the MX870 to install. Mine was a completely new install on an iMac 27 (2017). I had to go install the old driver from El Capitan 10.11 and it did act a little like it wasn't going to install at first, but then it allowed me to move forward after dismissing the "not apple approved screen". The scanner driver was installed as well but I haven't tested that it yet.

Thank you so much for responding and helping me -- it worked!!

jimonqa
Contributor

Thank you dm1723 & leodvthorn.  I had better luck by following leodvthorn's link to install V3.3 older drivers on my iMac with Catalina 10.15.7.  I also got the "incompatible" message and to "Quit".  However, I then found a version V3.4 drivers so went back and installed them.  That one succeeded (maybe 3.3 helped, maybe not).  I setup my Canon PIXMA MX870 to be wirelessly connected using the physical printer's settings dialog (clumsy interface for entering WIFI password, but it worked).  Then I went to my iMac's System Preferences to Add Printer and there it was, allowed me to select the Canon MX Series and successfully completed.  Printed a page, all is working.  The scanner interface showed up as well when adding the printer, but I have VueScan so will likely just use that instead.

V3.4 drivers:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1928?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements