cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon TR8620 printing faded color

tired1
Apprentice

I purchased the Canon TR8620 6 months ago, working in design I wanted it primarily for color prints on different paper. I use a macbook pro, running Big Sur. I hadn't used the printer much and the few times I did the color looked off (too much pink/cool toned) and very faded. But the black printed solid, and the nozzle check was clear (if just faded) so I figured it needed tinkering and I'd solve it another time.

Recently, having the same issue printing photos--faded and slightly cool toned/pink toned.

I spent about 3 hours troubleshooting and came to the conclusion it's the lack of native print drivers + being forced to use airprint that is resulting in the poor quality. I tried downloaded past drivers from Gutenprint, but this model isn't included. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with and without the canon setup program. I tried all different combinations and variables of letting the printer color manage vs photoshop vs custom icc profiles. Nothing helps, if anything the custom icc profiles just made it worse.

I'm running Mac Os Big Sur, and was unaware that this printer:

-isn't compatible past Catalina (and even then has issues)

-doesn't have printer drivers, forcing you to use airprint only

-doesn't have USB cable for alternate modes of install

...which basically makes it completely useless to me now. Unless anyone has any other suggestions to try, otherwise I need new suggestions for a better printer that's more color customizable/accurate. :')

1 REPLY 1

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have the TR8620a - same as 8620 but no Bluetooth.

MacBook Air with macOS Monterey 12.4.

Yes, it is AirPrint only. My install worked perfectly over the air, so I see no reason for USB to install.

What software are you trying to print from? I printed from Canon DPP4 and Lightroom Classic.

No problems printing photos on Canon paper; you are correct that third party ICC profiles don't seem to be able to be used (but I haven't fully researched if I can add them).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements