cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA TR4720 Setup Instructions are a SCAM

djdfiveo
Apprentice

I recently visited Canon URL (https: // ij . start . cannon/Tr4720 ), which was what came with the box.  I was asked by a Shawn at customer support who aske me if he could call instead of chatting to make it easier.  His number was 617-420-[xxxx] from Everett, MA.  He told me I had all kinds of viruses (18,435 to be exact), including a trojan virus.  He tried to scam me out of $459.00 for cleaning up the computer and adding Windows 11-which my computer can't even support.  I told him I would call him back because this certainly didn't sound right even though it was coming right from Canon support.

I had a reputable computer repair service check my computer and it was virus free, with no problems at all!  Canon-you need to do something about this!!  I don't know how many people have been scammed this same way!  Cano-you bear responsibility for this and  should correct this before the lawsuits come rolling in!

[URL edited to protect other users.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Danny

Hi, djdfiveo!  We can understand your concern and we can assure you that you did not speak to a Canon USA representative.  We don't provide any virus support and we don't charge for support for in-warranty printers.  Our phone numbers are also all toll-free, beginning with area codes like 800 and 866.  Our name is also misspelled in the URL you provided.  Other organizations are counting on spelling errors to drive traffic to their imitation sites.  Our name has always been spelled with just one N in the middle.

You can get everything you need to set up your PIXMA TR4720 at https://ij.start.canon (again, please note the spelling).

Hope this clears things up!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

See this thread: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Discussion/Scammed-by-Non-Canon-Support/td-p/405828

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't think Canon would misspell Canon as "Cannon" in the URL.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Go here instead: Canon : Official | ij.start.canon | TR4720 (manual.canon)

I suggest you delete your thread.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Turn in the phone number to the county/city attorney. Let them handle it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Danny

Hi, djdfiveo!  We can understand your concern and we can assure you that you did not speak to a Canon USA representative.  We don't provide any virus support and we don't charge for support for in-warranty printers.  Our phone numbers are also all toll-free, beginning with area codes like 800 and 866.  Our name is also misspelled in the URL you provided.  Other organizations are counting on spelling errors to drive traffic to their imitation sites.  Our name has always been spelled with just one N in the middle.

You can get everything you need to set up your PIXMA TR4720 at https://ij.start.canon (again, please note the spelling).

Hope this clears things up!

Thank you for your help!

here’s the problem. We followed your instructions in YOUR manual. And this happened. 

@Eblanton81 wrote:

here’s the problem. We followed your instructions in YOUR manual. And this happened. 

Greetings,

This is inside the manual. 

Your printed manual should show:

shadowsports_0-1698787824601.png

Which takes you here:

shadowsports_1-1698787942723.png

Does your manual show something different?  If so, where did you get it.  Did you buy your printer from a retailer or from a online store?

Is it possible you mistyped something and visited another site or page?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That's how I got into trouble in the first place

Announcements