cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG2522 Can't Install cartridge - Get Bizarre Error Message

thailen
Contributor

I have a PIXMA MG 2522 printer and bought a new black CL-245 cartridge. I inserted the cartridge correctly and got the following message: cartridge not inserted. Please insert the correct cartridge. I havw used this printer and inserted replacement(new) cartridges in the past with no problems. what's the solution?

2 REPLIES 2

thailen
Contributor

The screen shows no ink. The exact message is:

Operation on the printer is required.
An ink cartridge cannot be recognized.

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Thailen! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that your PIXMA MG2522 is not recognizing the Black cartridge that you installed.

You mention that the cartridge number is CL-245. Please check the black tank and make sure that the cartridge number starts with the letters PG. The black cartridge number should be PG-245.

I also recommend that you check the color cartridge (CL-246) and make sure it is properly inserted. The message you are getting indicates that one of the cartridges is not properly installed, so it may also be triggered if the color ink cartridge is loose or missing. The printer will not work unless both the black and color cartridges are installed.

If you are trying to use the printer without the color cartridge, you will need to install the previous color cartridge. It does not matter if the color cartridge is empty. It just needs to be installed. If you no longer have the color cartridge, you will need to purchase a new one.

Next, I recommend that you make sure the color and black cartridges are installed in the appropriate slot. The color cartridge should be installed in the left slot. The black one must be installed in the right slot.

If both cartridges are installed in the proper slot, please try restarting the printer. You can use the power button to turn it off and back on. If restarting the printer does not help, there may be a problem with the printer or the cartridge.

You can try reinstalling the previous black cartridge (empty one) to see if the error goes away. If the error does clear after you install the older cartridge (or a new one), then the error was being caused by a defective cartridge. If the error remains after you put the old cartridge (or new one) back in, there is a mechanical or electrical issue with your printer. There is nothing else you can do.

If you purchased your printer within the last 12 months and you have a receipt that shows the purchase details, please create a My Canon Account in the following website and register the printer:

https://myprofile.americas.canon.com/us/signin?redirect=%2Fus%2FaddProducts

After you create your account and register the printer, you can click on SERVICE & SUPPORT (in the left column). After that, click on the red box that says GET SERVICE & SUPPORT (on the right side of the page) to get the information on our phone and chat support options.

If the printer is no longer in warranty, it may be more cost effective to purchase a replacement than to pay someone to fix it. Through our Canon Upgrade Program, we can offer you a discount and free shipping on a new printer if the warranty is expired. If you are interested in that, please call (866) 443-8002 from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time), Monday through Saturday to speak with one of our sales agents who would be happy to help you.

I hope this information helps. Thanks again.

Announcements