cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Pixma ip8720 will not print color and will not print what I ask it to print

whatthepeck
Apprentice

I bought a brand new Pixma ip8720 from Best Buy when my previous printer (same model) stopped printing in color. Before buying new, I did nozzle checks, I cleaned twice and then deep cleaned once, I aligned print head, I did everything they tell you to do and none of it worked. Since none of the usual suggestions worked I just assumed my old printer was dead and unable to be saved, so I bought a new one.

I just set up the new one today and I'm having the exact same problems. But not only will the new one not print in color, but it also will not print what I'm asking it to print. I pull up a PDF file I want to print, and instead of printing that, it prints me a test page that is black and streaked with yellow. If I try to print from Silhouette Studio I get the same outcome, and the same outcome when I try to print from Photos. 

I decided to uninstall and reinstall the software to see if that made a difference, but unfortunately it made no difference. The ink tanks I'm using are brand new and completely full. I'm not using weird paper, I tried testing on the Plus Glossy II that came with the printer as well as just plain printer paper. I only use a wired connection to my printer because wireless never worked for me so I never bother with it. I changed USB cords thinking that might be the problem since the one I was using is pretty old now, but no, even with a brand new cord I still have the same problems. 

I truly do not know what else to do. Why am I having the same issue with a brand new printer? Why did the old one stop printing color? Is there something I am missing? Is there something wrong with my computer and what it's telling my printer, even though I reinstalled the software?? I'm so confused, and very frustrated as I use this printer for my small business and now I'm out of commission because of it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Based on the steps you have already taken, I recommend reaching out to Canon support for further troubleshooting in real time. You will need to register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

We look forward to hearing from you. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

whatthepeck
Apprentice

Also, I double checked that it wasn't my computer having issues communicating with printers by hooking it up to my laser printer and trying to print the same image - and it printed perfectly in color. I went back to my Pixma and got black and white from every application I printed from. I'm out of ideas.

whatthepeck
Apprentice

Do you have any methods to fix it? The Pixma ip8720 that I've been using for the last 6 years stopped printing color, and nozzle check, clean or deep clean, alignment, nothing worked. I made sure all the print settings were correct for printing color. Grayscale/B&W were not checked. Still no color, and eventually it stopped printing black too. I put brand new ink cartridges in, still printed nothing. So I bought a brand new printer. Unfortunately I'm still having the exact same problems - it won't print color, and sometimes prints nothing at all. So I uninstalled all the canon software on my computer and reinstalled it - same problem. I don't know what else to do, considering this printer is brand new and is giving me the exact same problems as the old one. I never had any problems with my old printer (same model) until now... so what gives? Do you have any suggestions on what else to try? Nothing in the maintenance tab is making any difference.

Hi,

Based on the steps you have already taken, I recommend reaching out to Canon support for further troubleshooting in real time. You will need to register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

We look forward to hearing from you. 

I did end up doing this. They ruled that my brand new printer was defective and replaced it with a new one. The new one works perfectly.

Announcements