cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

c100 has too much green in the video, doesnt disappear when adding magenta

JerTob
Apprentice

So last night I was just doing some testing with the c100 and I noticed that in the viewfinder after auto white balancing, there ws a bit too much green in spots where there relly shouldnt be. I took some video and wanted to see if this was just something in the LCD screen or the actual video, and the green cast was indeed in the video. I went into the color profiles and tried adding magenta but it actually did nothing to reduce the green in the areas I was seeing it in and only made everything else more magenta. 

I'm just wondering if this is a known issue or if anyone has experienced this and if there;s any real fixes.

17 REPLIES 17

JerTob
Apprentice

I noticed that it seems the c100 WB isnt really accurate and seems to adjust too much towards the blue side. tests I've done show that it can be off almost 1000 K.

Also, why is it that that the way the c100 gauges kelvin is completely backwards? If I raise K, it should turn more blue, correct? Blue is hotter. So why then does the camera add more red the higher in kelvin you go?

Mykolas
Authority

Hi JerTob,

Thank you for posting about this. 

What you are seeing when you adjust the color temperature is correct.  Higher Kelvin is for cooler lighting, while lower Kelvin is for warmer lighting.  The camera will not make the image cooler when you raise the Kelvin setting.  It is compensating for the cooler lighting temperature.  By setting a higher Kelvin, you are telling the camera that you have cooler lighting, not telling the camera to make the image cooler.

What other color matrix settings have you changed to get the image to appear less green in certain areas?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Mike, Thanks for explaining the white balance. 

As for the green color cats, I was basically tweaking the color profiles with added magenta instead of green and the green would not come out of the picture, yet it still made midtones and such magenta. Attached is a pic showing what I mean. You can see in the upper right area on the floor by the couch that the area on the floor in that section has a green cast to it. Also in the lower left by the dresser, it seems the shadow on the ground ius a bit green and there is some green on the metal. Mind you there is nothing in that other room that is in any way green. in fact the walls in that room beyond are the same shade of off white you see in the foreground and they appeared VERY green (I dont have that video)Sequence 01173.jpeg

Hi JerTob,

We are sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the color casts.  I suspect that this has a lot to do with the color temperature of the lighting that you are shooting in.  What you have shown us is indoors, it's hard to make a distinct determination on the lighting because you could have any number of temperature bulbs in the mix.  This type of mixture of lighting can have distinct effects on the color casts you see in the final image.  This is especially true if shooting with household bulbs in an overhead or something to that effect. 

What I would suggest would be to shoot outdoors, with the camera calibrated for such, and see if the same effect occurs.  Lighting indoors can be very tricky and most videographers shooting in a professional environment use specialized lighting to correct for such casts and  work with a colorist in post production to correct for exacting color. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

螢幕快照 2013-11-17 上午12.00.45.png螢幕快照 2013-11-17 上午12.01.01.png

too many green inside
This is a very serious problem
Whether indoors or outdoors
I can only use the "auto white balance" Others are greenish

New to the forums.  Did you ever figure out what is causing the green cast when using custom white balance?  I have this exact same issue.  Even though it's the same Kelvin number, switching from auto to custom results in a greenish tint.

No i haven't drew. I don't own the camera, my business partner does, so i haven't had time to really mess with it. . Recently though we have been noticing that there' no way we can match in camera the color balance between teh c100 and the 60d we own. Setting them at the same kelvin never results in the same look. The last event we shot showd the c100 much heavier in the yellow end than it should have. People's faces in the 60d looked mroe red and natural while in the c100 they looked lkike they wer wearing a thin coating of mustard.

Hi a33333

Did you ever find a fix for this....it is happing on my c100 also....here is a short video with 2800K on Auto and then 2800K on custom.

https://vimeo.com/90188793

Brad

Hi Everyone!

In order to properly address your questions regarding the color abberations in your individual videos, we'd need to know the specifics of your set up, and attempt multiple walkthrough tests to determine exactly where the problem with the lighing sensitivity lies.

The Canon Forum is not designed for this kind of specialized support, and your issues would benefit most from a customized one-on-one tech experience. Please get in touch with us HERE and we'd be happy to get you up and filming again!

Afterwards, if you’d like to report back with your experience for the good of the community, feel free to do so!

Announcements