cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need more Cinema RAW Development options!!!

scottwild
Apprentice

If any Canon engineers are on here please read this...

I've shot with the C200 and I love it so far, the only problem is that the workflow is horribly crippled at the moment. 

On a Mac it's not so bad as you can render out ProRes 4444 with the Cinema RAW Dev tool, but that's still not enough options. On a PC it's a nightmare, DPX is simply too massive for the camera's pricepoint, we aren't Lucasfilm. The storage requirements for a 2 min video in DPX would be terabytes of data. That is not workable.

Consider this a formal request for DNxHR HQ or DNxHR HQX or DNxHR 444 for PC's. I'd like to have all three if you can swing it. I'd take Cineform options as well. On a Mac, please give us ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ.

With those flavors you've got yourself an amazing camera that can do just about anything.

sincerely,

Scott Wild

3 REPLIES 3

JonKline
Enthusiast

Why not just use a recorder to convert raw output to ProRes or DNxHR? And if you're comfortable transcoding to ProRes on OSX, why aren't you comfortable with DNxHR on Windows?

The c200 is quite clearly designed with the mid-range codec gap in mind. If Canon fixed this with a firmware update, it would really muddy the waters between the C100 mark II and c300 mark II. It's pretty clear that the decision to hold off on XF-AVC support is not because of a difficult technical limitation, but to push higher end shooters toward the c300 mark II.

"Why not just use a recorder to convert raw output to ProRes or DNxHR? And if you're comfortable transcoding to ProRes on OSX, why aren't you comfortable with DNxHR on Windows?"

What????

Isn't the whole purpose of the C200 is to record rawlite? Why in the world would I want an external recorder???

I'm not asking for more options out of the camera, I'm asking for more options in the RAW Development tool. I don't need other options out of the camera, rawlite is fine.

The problem is the RAW Development tool lacks useable codecs to encode to. If you read my orginal post you'd see I'm not happy only exporting to Prores 4444...it's overkill. I'm super not happy with DPX on the PC. A few minutes of rawlite could be terabytes of DPX when rendered.  

Like I stated in my orginal post, we need more RAW development tool export options. I have a feeling Canon knows Premiere and others will be able to work nativily with rawlite soon so they didn't take the time to make the RAW Development tool useful. It's half baked. It also sucks that they didn't even think of naming the proxies the same thing as the RAWs so it's slow as hell to match the footage up. 

Definately CRD needs these CODECs! DaVinci (16) has em'... a mjority of DNxHD & DNxHR High & Low Res, all in FREE vers.(Except ProRes 444... gotta buy!)

For now, for us... More storage! (Solid Pod (CFast) with 1TB mSATA III) 133 Min.per SSD of RAW... and transcode! Works awesome! Gets better if your equiped with USB 3.1 Gen2 Ports @ 10Gb/s (for $100 bucks). Doesn't help with on-set monitoring for overlays or Ext. recorder side tho.

But  we're waiting patiently for Canon to commit to those who committed to them... and an update that will bring at least 4:2:2 10-bit @ 4K to the HDMI and/or SDI outputs... Maybe even simultanously! It CAN happen... RIGHT Canon??

Another wishlist item:  Get T/C out of the camera for master sync! Besides HDMI. 

Maybe be able to route T/C to Audio output! 

Announcements