cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to live stream with a Canon EOS C100 video camera

Ben2013
Apprentice

Hi, I'm very new to live streaming and have been having some problems getting it set up. I'm hoping to live stream through Google Hangout on Air, but haven't been able to live stream through anything at this point.

The equipment I am using is:

-A Canon EOS C100 with HDMI out
-A Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt with HDMI in and Thunderbolt cable out
-A 13-inch Early 2011 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt cable in
-Audio cable connecting the video camera to the Shuttle 

I've been using Flash Media Live Encoder to try to get the camera live stream setup. The Blackmagic settings do show up in Flash Media Live Encoder but I can't get the picture to show up. (The picture does show up in FMLE if I use the Mac's built-in FaceTime HD Camera). 

So, does anyone know how I can get the picture from the Canon C100 video camera to show up? There are quite a few Blackmagic settings, and I've tried each with no success. Any and all help with this matter is greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

Mykolas
Authority

Ben2013,

Thank you for posting!

The HDMI port on the EOS C100 will send out a live signal that you can pick up on, but we have not tested and therefore cannot guarantee that the signal will be properly received when adapted from HDMI to Thunderbolt.  Have you tried capturing the video signal directly over the HDMI connection without changing over to Thunderbolt?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Mike, thanks a lot for your reply.

I have connected the C100 to a TV via HDMI and the picture from the camera showed up on the TV. I have not yet tried connecting the C100 directly to a computer via HDMI.

I don't have a great understanding of the process and the Thunderbolt was recommended to me as a way to be able to livestream from the C100. Is this accurate? Is there a different alternative to the Thunderbolt that is known to work with the C100 (and MacBook Pro preferably)?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Ben2013,

We have not tested the HDMI output with other connection types, so we cannot say one way or another if it will stream to your Macbook properly.  We are not aware of any alternatives to streaming live video.  We recommend directly connecting via HDMI.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Ben2013,
Did you figure out a workflow for the C100 to livestream via a Mac laptop? I just bought a C100 and have a streaming gig in a few weeks. Thanks for your experiential info!
cheers!
Stephon
Transformative Media Producer
Oneness Media

Just so you know. HDMI on the computer is OUT only. There is no HDMI input on your computer. You can have USB or Firewire or what ever but not HDMI input. 

Got it to work with Thunderbolt connection via Blackmagic Intensity Extreme hardware.

Here's the event I filmed:  https://new.livestream.com/accounts/3645078/events/2364685

Cheers!

Stephon

Transformative Media Producer
Oneness Media

Hi, 

please please let me know how you got it to work. I'm using c100, BM intensity Extreme, FLME,  Imac running 10.8. i have tried everything I can think of.

Hi Stephon, would you be so nice, and let us know, how did you make it work? I'm using matrox monarch, and trying to use the c 100 with it. Thanks.

Can't speak about the Matrox box, but we had some trouble using the Black Magic Intensity Extreme and Livestream Producer, on a Macbook Pro running 10.9.4:

We could not get a signal into Livestream until we changed the expected framerate to 59.94

In our troubleshootins it seems like the C100 only outputs 59.94 (aka 60i) via the HDMI output, so changing our framerate settings on Livestream Producer solved the problem.

Best of luck!

Announcements