cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple Glitch of Death - C300 Mk II

BenJoyner
Apprentice

I'm sure this has been discussed before but has anyone experienced this awful purple glitch with the C300 Mk II? (footage stills below)

I'm shooting a feature doc right now and it's constantly giving me trouble when shooting in backlight. Even rented another body and we're still having the same issue. I took it to canon and they said it was just normal and to avoid shooting in backlight. I do not believe this is acceptable for a camera. It's hideous and completely baked into the footage even in the log. Looking for any workarounds or advice before considering a different camera for the remainder of our shoot. 

Screenshot 2017-11-29 10.34.41.png24131767_10214863918335064_8824983347233337615_o.jpg

unnamed-1.png

10 REPLIES 10

Tim
Authority

Hello BenJoyner, 

I understand that there is a purple tint to footage captured with the EOS C300 Mark II.  In order for the community to assist you, all the settings you used for recording should be detailed.  With so many methods to correct for something like a tint, it would be beneficial to the community if more information was present such as if this tint has been present in all your attempts to color correct.   

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Here's a frame from a shoot I just did as well.  See the stripe across the talent's chest.  Shot in CLog3, Cine Gamut, 1080p 10 bit 4:2:2.  Latest firmware.

Purple line.jpg

Hello motionmaker, 

Thank you for posting the screen grab describing this issue.  We do see what you're referring to.  Does this issue seem to persist only once the footage is imported to the computer, or does it appear in other methods of playback?  

Would it be possible for you to test shooting footage with a different set of parameters to see if the effect is present in all modes?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Canon,

I see that this is an issue that hasn't been resolved. Why is that? 

I've attached a frame grab of the footage, and screen grabs of the camera settings. Pretty simple stuff here. The subject is being lit by daylight fixtures (ARRI Skypanel)A002C009_19072407_CANON_10500008.JPGScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.59.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.59.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.59.24 PM.png

Apologies for the long delay, never saw the reply here.  Not sure if the purple was visible on camera or on playback from the camera.  Didn't notice it until post (in Premiere and Resolve).

Yes, I'd be willing to try and recreate it while shooting in different modes.  Do you have specific parameters you'd like me to use?  Does this not appear on all C300mk2 cameras?  Are you able to recreate it on your end as well?

Hi motionmaker,

If possible, I'd be interested to see the same scene shot in Canon Log versus Canon Log 3 both before and aftrer applying your desired LUT from CanonLookup Table version 201902 available on the EOS C300 Mark II product page if you do not have the latest one (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/cinema-eos/eos-c300-mark-i...). Your other settings appear as expected so shooting as you have been should be fine.

I have seen this in Log footage when a bright highlight is just on or very near the margins of the frame corresponding to a horizontal band of magenta but when the corrective LUT is applied this usually appears to go away. This could be due to the way the sensor is receiving and holding input data that is broader than the final output. If you wanted to test this just a little bit extra, you could shoot a fairly flat scene and move a strong light from outside the frame all the way across the scene and out of the other side of the frame at two or three different altitudes to see if what you are experiencing actually does correspond to bright highlights or if we are dealing with something different.

Will do and will get back to you with the results.  Thank you.

@Mark35mmF2 do you have a word concerning what I post?

Hi Tim,

I have the exact same issue with my C300 MKII with the latest firmware (v. 1.1.3.1.00). Is there any workaround or anything that can be done to solve that issue?

Thanks!

Announcements