cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm told my c100 mk ii files are surprisingly small.

aponomarev
Contributor
I'm set to AVCHD, 24Mbps, 23.98p. Is there anything else I can set to increase the quality of my image?
7 REPLIES 7

Tim
Authority

Hello Aponomarev, 

The settings you have are capable of being applied while the camera records 1920 x 1080.  So provided this is the recording quality you require then those settings are adequate.  When you say that the files are too small, it would help if the community had clarification on how large the resulting files that you record are.    

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

aponomarev
Contributor
Specifically, I have a 24second clip that's about 65mb.

Hello aponomarev, 

If you wouldn't mind supplying a bit more information surrounding the video clip it would be of benefit to both myself and the community.

- Are these files coming straight off the camera or post processed?

- All relevant video quality and recording parameters

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is the unprocessed footage straight off the camera, given AVCHD, 24Mbps, 23.98p. I would say the color temp was set to 5200, 1/48 speed, and 850 (native) iso. rokinon 35mm lens, open all the way (1.5).

If there are other settings, then let me know what you are specifically looking for. Thank you!

AP

Hello aponomarev, 

You can change this to 28 Mbps LCPM / 28 Mbps under AVCHD 1920 x 1080.  Or, you would switch to 35 Mbps under MP4 1920 x 1080. This would increase your file size.  

aponomarev
Contributor
Well the goal here isn't just to increase file size. I intend to use 24fps frame rate, so I can't go to 28 Mbps. And from what I understand, avchd is superior in quality to MP4 (correct me if I'm wrong). No point, right? Any way, if the sizes are normal, that's fine. Maybe avchd is just one hell of a good codec.

I asked Canon support about this issue because the file sizes are so different between the MKII and the original C100. Got this response.

The older C100 did not use the same optimized variable bit rates that the C100 Mark II does, and therefore did use a bit more data per second than the newer C100 Mark II.  The C100 Mark II can capture the same scene with the same detail while getting more footage in the same amount of storage media in many cases.  You'll notice the bit rate jumping up toward the maximum bit rate if you have a busier scene with more detail and movement and a higher gain level

Seems correct

Announcements