cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get C305 MXF transcoded to open in Final Cut Pro X?

beecee
Apprentice

We have the Canon 305 camcorder and Canon Utilities loaded on an iMac. But while the MXF clips open in Utilities, there's no obvious way to save or upload them to Final Cut Pro X. The import from camera function doesn't open them, and the import files doesn't recognize the MXF format. Does Utilites transcode the files to .mov or prores formats and put them somewhere else on the iMac?

And short of Utilities, has anyone used another transcoding app like Handbrake to sucessfully transcode MXF to .mov or prores? Or opened them in FCPX

Thanks

Will

7 REPLIES 7

Mykolas
Authority

Hi beecee!

Thanks for posting.

Final Cut Pro X supports MXF files, but there is a specific way they need to be organized to get FCPX to see them.  Canon XF Utility will bring the files over to your computer using the same folder/file structure that is on the card.  You can also do this from a card reader if you would prefer, but in any case, the exact folder/file structure that you would see on the card must exist on your computer in order for the files to be recognized by FCPX.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mike & joleen,

Thanks for the feedback. The situation is I have four CF cards that were shot with the 305 camcorder, and the clips were downloaded to my iMac's desktop and put in one folder to back them up.

All of the original CF cards are on  hand except one had to be cleared and reused. So to import those clips from the first CF card that was cleared ( whose file structure was erased so the card could be reused), do I have to rebuild the file structure of that first card, putting the saved clips into it? Or will Canon Utilities take those saved files and reconstruct the card's file structure for me?  

Nothing is working consistently.

My original problem is that I shot four CF cards with the  305 and was not able to preserve the cards--I had to recycle one (it was a long shoot). I thought I could backup the cards by copying all their contents onto my hard drive. I put all the files in one folder on the desktop. But none of these backed up files will open in Canon Utilities and will not import into FCPX. I understand now that is because the file structure has changed. If I could rebuild the file structure, what is it?

A second problem is that of the other three originally shot cards, only one will open in Canon Utilities.Why? Nothing changed on those cards. They have their original file structure. But CU only will open one of the cards.

A third problem is FCPX imported all the clips from the single CF card that is readable, but when I ejected the CF card, two of the imported clips disappeared. But not the other clips which were imported at the same time. Why?

Any advice how to save these files in such a way that they might be readable/importable? Is there any other file transcoder out there that can directly transcode MXF to either .MOV or ProRes formats?

beecee,

Since you have copied all of the files to the same location, the original structure you need most likely cannot be rebuilt.  Every single file must be there in the exact order they appeared in the original contents folder, including the index file that was there.  If they were all copied to one folder, the original index files were overwritten.  XF Utility also requires this original structure, so this is why only your final card is being seen by either application.

In order to be able to import the files, you will need to transcode them into another format.  I recommend searching the internet for a transcoder.  There are quite a few out there, so you should be able to easily find one that works for you.

When you import from the card in the future, make sure FCPX is done transferring all of the data from the card to a local storage location before you pull the card from the reader.  It is also recommended that you eject the card by dragging it to the trash.  If this is not done, it is possible for data on the card to be corrupted.

When you transfer video from the card to your computer in the future, please make sure you copy all of the original files as they appear in the Contents folder, as well as the Contents folder itself.  This will ensure you are able to work with all of the files without having to transcode them.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

jaroleen
Contributor

Canon XF Utility doesn’t work well wtih 50Mbps (CBR) 4:2:2, 1920×1080 mxf fiels . But sometime is working well, more time

kobelili
Apprentice

XF Utility software provides a simplified first step in the process of managing and playing back your clips, without the use of full-blown NLE software. XF Utility isnot intended to replace NLE software and does not include any video or audio editing features — it offers various options for managing and playing back clips recorded with Canon HD camcorders compatible with MXF files, including the EOS C300 and XF-series cameras.

Janekong
Enthusiast

Thx for posting your probelm, bro.

I have the similar probelm like you.  And I am not such technicl guy. Canon mxf plug was just so pain. So I turn to the third party software. imixmxf which is an converter app I have found in an blog and it solved my problem. 

Hope this post can help someone who are just start to use FCP for editing.

http://digital-video-lover.over-blog.com/import-pdw-850-mxf-to-fcp-x-with-multi-track

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements