cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon C70 Remote Handgrip Help! GR-V1! Cameo Grip, Sony also tested.

aclark
Contributor

Hi all,

I'm close to getting the GR-V1 grip to work with Canon C70 and wanted to share some findings and get some advice!

I pre-ordered the C70 with the intent of using on my shoulder on occasion and having on-grip controls. It would be a massive flaw if this camera were unable to do so, as that means it simply can't compete as a documentary camera.

I'd love anyone's assistance helping me find a cable/adapter to work from the 3.5mm Canon C handgrips to the 2.5mm remote terminal. I'm fairly certain this will work based on the below findings.

FS5 and FS7 Grips
Connected via LANC cable, both of these handles are recognized by the camera and the joystick functions with up/down/left/right and select. The record and other buttons do not work, which is expected because they are mapped differently. But it shows that the remote link's capable of receiving multiple signals.

C100/C300 Grips
Do not work, because audio cables don't provide either enough power or consistent signal. (Or maybe I just can't plug them in all the way)

Cameo Gear Grip
This thing is ugly and buttons are a bit flimsy but it works via hirose to lanc cable. I've tested this as well. Iris and button mapping work. These are somewhat hard to find as they are entering EOL.

GR-V1
This, of course is the natural choice to use. I've purchased it and am looking to connect it to the C70. Any help in selecting a cable (or cable+adapter) to make this happen?!

Attached are a few photos

The Canon 3.5mm grip connection on the GR-V1 (C-series grip). The C70 only has 2.5mm remote in.

the canon grip connection.png

This cameo gear grip works but it's really not intuitive and no longer supported by manufacturer.
(Yes, excuse the tripod ball.)
cameo grip working.png

Lastly here are some of the cables I have tried. I was advised to use 3.5mm to 2.5mm audio adapters but they either do not fir or do not work with the GR-V1

3.5mm to 2.5mm audio cables that did not work.png

Any thoughts on where to find a cable or combination of cables to get the GR-V1 grip working on c70? Thanks all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's been a while, but I solved it!!!

The Canon C70 can be used with an assignable handgrip. It turns out it was all in the menu settings.

First update the handle to the latest firmware.

Then, re-connect the handle and under "assignable buttons" tab in the MENU, toggle to the number 3, and you should see a sub-menu titled "REMOTE A". That's your handle. You'll be able to assign those 4 buttons there.

IT WORKS with these grips so far:
Cameogear Cameogrip
FS5 / FS7 Grips (which feel really nice!)

DOES NOT YET WORK WITH
C100/C300/GR-V1 Grips. But someone let me know!

Hope this helps the one other person in the world trying to use the C70 on their shoulder.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

aclark
Contributor

Update: 

I'm still trying to get the GR-V1 (or any canon grip) to work with the C70. This is a tremendous oversight on Canon's part imo.

After cutting a Canon grip extension, it appears the Canon cable has 6 cables, a standard lanc has 3. I've ordered a 2.5mm TRRS cable which may work, and will also test all combinations of connecting it with a 3-cable lanc.

If anyone has any knowledge on the below, do let me know which might connect to which to at least get partial functionality out of this grip.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 10.25.05 PM.png

It's been a while, but I solved it!!!

The Canon C70 can be used with an assignable handgrip. It turns out it was all in the menu settings.

First update the handle to the latest firmware.

Then, re-connect the handle and under "assignable buttons" tab in the MENU, toggle to the number 3, and you should see a sub-menu titled "REMOTE A". That's your handle. You'll be able to assign those 4 buttons there.

IT WORKS with these grips so far:
Cameogear Cameogrip
FS5 / FS7 Grips (which feel really nice!)

DOES NOT YET WORK WITH
C100/C300/GR-V1 Grips. But someone let me know!

Hope this helps the one other person in the world trying to use the C70 on their shoulder.

Hi there,

Incredible documentation - thanks for trying all these different grips out. I’m currently on a similar quest and had a couple of questions for you.

I’m used to flying our C300iii on a Mōvi Pro and use an extension cable to mount the handgrip on the ring to easily adjust iris, toggle AF, and run/stop REC. I was also disappointed to find there’s no way of  connecting the C300 handgrip to the C70 and have been looking for alternatives.

I guess my questions are:

- The FS5 looks to be the closest in build quality to the original Canon grip. Any suggestions on where to purchase one? It doesn’t seem to be listed on B&H but i could be not searching for the right model

- For the Cameogrip: a) would I be able to update the grip on the latest OS X or do I require a legacy operating system? b) is the build quality ok enough to handle being used as a grip on a gimbal like the RS2.

- Lastly, you mentioned there’s four buttons that can be mapped to a remote. Would both of these grips be able to toggle AF on and off, dial exposure, and run/stop record without any limitations?

Thanks again for your detailed post!

-Best bet for the FS5 grip is either ebay or a rental shop with old gear. If you have an existing FS5 serial number, there is a chance Sony will send you one and charge you for it.

-I used the cameogrip with the latest OS. The software works fine out the box. The build quality is partially metal. It's solid for 10+ pounds, but requires some tightening. I've found it loosens a bit during heavy use.

-I was able to toggle AF, dial exposure, and run rec with the FS5 grip, the Cameogrip works for ISO or aperture with joystick plus a couple basic functions (peaking/zebras). I chose IRIS and manually adjusted aperture when necessary.

I also have one button set to ND, which helps, but it's unidirectional.

Thanks for clarifying! One last question - does the joystick on the FS5 grip also let you move the AF square around the frame? That's the last huge feature that makes the C-Series grips essential when on a gimbal.

Yup, it appears to work by default in cardinal directions.Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 5.00.43 PM.png

Thanks again! Just ordered mine today and excited to have the same functionality from a C70 as I do with my other cinema cameras on a gimbal.

One more question, have you tried the FS5/7 grip with a land extension cable? Does it retain its functionality?

Hey!

So I ended up ordering an FS7 grip which just came in today. I was going to ask if there’s a special trick to assigning functions to each button? So far, I’m only able to map button 4 which corresponds to whatever function I assign it on the Remote A menu, but I’m unable to get any buttons on the handgrip to respond to what I’ve assigned for 1,2, and 3 in the menu.

Record button works and so does the joystick/select - just hoping to assign more than just button 4 or even just be able to control Iris with the dial.

Let me know if you’ve figured out a workaround!

Hi all,

Thanks for the info on grips. 

I also have been trying to get a grip to work. Bought the Cameo gear and works quite well but I need to be able to control the focus point (move it around with a joystick) and start stop when using the ronin rs2. Cameo grip can’t move the focus point around. It does control Start/Stop and aperture and can assign the other button to most options, It can not control the focus point (move it around screen). Used it the other day for filming fast moving ballet on the ronin and realized the focus point control and start/stop is what I need most for autofocus tracking. If I continually tap to focus the C70 screen to track focus it micro jitters the ronin and shows up in the footage.

In other filming situations on the ronin (slower moving subjects) it wouldn’t be a problem as much, but with dance and very random and fast moving subjects I find I need the joystick grip control to focus on the ronin. Can’t rely in the camera to track alone. It looses the subject. 

So have a ordered a used fs7 grip from eBay. Hoping it will work with a lanc extension cable?? Fingers crossed. Any feedback welcome. Hoping didn’t buy an paper weight. 

If it can control the focus point (move it around with thumb joystick, and start/stop I would be content. Aperture would be amazing but guessing it doesn’t work.

Really wish the canon grip would work. Have a c200 and that grip is magic. Almost tempted to go back to mounting that on the RS2 though heavy and 8 bit with sd cards. The focus worked amazingly for fast moving action with the detachable grip on rs2. Could track easily.

Announcements