cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon C300 .mxf files import to Final Cut Pro 7 [Apple ProRes]

Daron
Apprentice

I shot footage on the Canon C300. I would like to import my .mxf files to Apple ProRes so that I can edit in Final Cut Pro 6 and Final Cut Pro 7.

Any simple step by step method to get my footage onto my timeline so that I can edit.

Been going around in circles for 2 days with this.

Thanks Daron

www.daronkeet.com

PS I'll buy coffee for anyone who helps me figure this out  when you are next in Santa Monica

12 REPLIES 12

Tim
Authority

Hello Daron,

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty importing clips from the EOS C300 into Final Cut Pro.  While we are unable to provide you with a step by step procedure, there are some things to try to make your import successful.  For starters, ensure that you have the Canon XF Plugin for Final Cut Pro 1.3 installed on your computer.  This would ensure that files from the EOS C300 can be imported.  Also make sure that you are using the log and transfer function within Final Cut Pro.  Bringing video and trying to put it into the timeline without using log and transfer may not be successful.

There is an article on our web site about the Plugin too if you wanted to take a look at that as well. 

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2012/20120224_xf_plugin_fcp_x.shtml

If you still experience issues with Final Cut Pro, you may need to contact Apple directly for assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The Canon XF plugin does not appear to support the newer C300 record format (1920X1080, 23.976fps), at least for FCP version 7.0.  I went so far as downloading it from Canon's page, but then got a warning during installation.

Hey Tim!

This is a great starting point! I'm having the same issue now, but in 2015 - any new solutions (the plug-in isn't supported by this version of MAC's OS anymore - 10.9.5)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

KennyCutz,

As of a certain point, Apple no longer supported Final Cut Pro 7 and only continued to support the current version, Final Cut Pro X.  We did provide an update to the plugin for FCP 7 (version 1.4), but the latest version of the Mac OS we know it will work with is OS 10.7.  I still recommend that you download it HERE by selecting OS 10.7 as your operating system.  In some cases, it still works, but we cannot guarantee it will.  If it does not, you will need to convert the MXF files into a format that FCP 7 still supports or you may consider using FCP X.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I use iDealshare VideoGo to convert .mxf files to Final Cut Pro supported Apple ProRes to successfully import and edit mxf in Final Cut Pro.

kayla
Apprentice

I use  Aunsoft TransMXF for Mac to solve MXF questions, and have used for a period of time, I think it is as good, so I want to share with you. it offers special formats ProRes 422 MOV for editting MXF videos in FCP, so I think it can help you.

jaroleen
Contributor

Method A: Using Canon XF Plugin Softwares (Plugins: latest Canon XF Plugin for Final Cut Pro, Canon XF Utility)

Method B: With a MXF Converter.  which better? you can read this article:  canon xf plugin vs converter

chrisking
Contributor

Here I'd share something just happened on me. I got some C300 MXF file, when I import them  to FCP, the program didn't recognized the videos. Got some tech support from others, I know my Canon C300 card structure was broken. I've tried my best to find out a way to solve the issue. Now it was resolved. Anyone here got some broken MXF files for editing in FCP, link here

Tip: When you handle your MXF files, you'd better backup your file structure first. 

In order to make Canon C300 MXF files editable in FCP, Canon launches some related XF plug-ins, via which you can transfer your MXF recordings to your Mac editing software. But as far as we know, Canon XF utility was not used to capture videos from CF cards on location. That is to say, XF utility is not effective for importing Canon MXF clips from CF cards.  Besides, due to the limitation of the XF utility, even though you have installed the XF utility, you still get the error message: "(folder name)" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.". The problem may lie in that the version of your Final Cut Pro or your Mac OS has not been up to its requirement. And it will cost you more money to update of FCP and OS. What is the best and most convenient way to get Canon MXF clips from CF cards to FCP? The answer is a UFUSoft MXF Converter for Mac, which is good at MXF to ProRes conversion for FCP editing.

Announcements