cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Noise Reduction in C100 mkII

cenges
Contributor

New to this forum, so forgive me if this has been addressed within the forum.

I can't seem to access the noise reduction setting in the custom picture menu. It is grayed out.  I have tried resetting the camera. I am using a Canon 24-70mm mkII with it. I am sure it is an operator error, but I have looked online for the answer and can't seem to find out what I am doing wrong. The manual doesn't address this.

Thank you ahead of time.

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I wanted to follow up with you after I talked with Canon tech Tim. Before I do however, I have to tell you that the Canon tech guy came on the phone within 30 seconds after the call was picked up by Canon. I have never had support come on that fast in any other technical support I have accessed! I am very, very impressed. Your tech guy had my problem solved within 3-4 minutes. You guys rock!

Now why I couldn't access the noise reduction menu? Wide Dynamic, EOS Standard, and C Log all have baked in noise reduction or won't let the camera access the noise reduction menu and are all locked. He had me go to C1, where there was no profile and instantly I was able to access both noise reduction and noise reduction selective. This is not apparent in the manual and only the cinema lock is mentioned that it must be off to access the NR. 

I have a multiple shoot next month in several venues around the state. I normally am shooting outside or with lights inside an have never needed noise reduction.

I shot a local city council meeting a couple of weeks ago in ambient light at iso 2000 with my 24-70l mkII at f4 (I had seven council members spread out and didn't want them out of focus with a shallow depth of field using f2.8 as I was at an angle to them) in EOS Standard and when I got into post I noticed a lot of noise in the dark areas of the clip. Although it cleaned up for the most part, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have this same problem with the conferences I plan to shoot.

Your tech guy said I might want to shoot in Wide Dynamic range, as it would be the least noisy. Your take Tim?

Again, thank you so much for the help! Canon tech is the best!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tim
Authority

Hello cenges, 

There is a setting in the camera which can lock this function out.  If [Camera Setup] > CP Cinema Locked is set to [On], the custom picture menu cannot be accessed and custom picture files cannot be used. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I believe I saw that in the manual and made sure the CP Cinema Locked was not [On]. I can access the custom picture menu and all of the other items within it it, but the noise reduction is grayed out and it won't let me access it. Any other reasons that it might be unaccessable? Thank you for the reply. 

Chris

Hello cenges, 

You are most welcome for the assistance.  The next couple options down in the custom picture menu would be the selective NR function.  If you seem to be able to access all the other functions, check to see if this works or if you are able to have it to [Off] in the menu and have the NR option open up. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

While the selective NR is not grayed out Tim, when you open it all the menu items, the Effects Level is [Off] and grayed out, as well as Hue, Chroma, Area, and Y Level and can't accessed. Very strange. Thank you up front.

Hello cenges, 

We are sorry to hear the issue persists.  At this point we recommend contacting us for live, step by step assistance at your earliest convenience.  

Cinema EOS - Cameras and Cine Lenses 1-855-246-3367 7 days a week: 24 Hours

Yeah Tim, I figured I might find myself having to contact Canon support. Thank you for your effort though. Regards, Chris

I wanted to follow up with you after I talked with Canon tech Tim. Before I do however, I have to tell you that the Canon tech guy came on the phone within 30 seconds after the call was picked up by Canon. I have never had support come on that fast in any other technical support I have accessed! I am very, very impressed. Your tech guy had my problem solved within 3-4 minutes. You guys rock!

Now why I couldn't access the noise reduction menu? Wide Dynamic, EOS Standard, and C Log all have baked in noise reduction or won't let the camera access the noise reduction menu and are all locked. He had me go to C1, where there was no profile and instantly I was able to access both noise reduction and noise reduction selective. This is not apparent in the manual and only the cinema lock is mentioned that it must be off to access the NR. 

I have a multiple shoot next month in several venues around the state. I normally am shooting outside or with lights inside an have never needed noise reduction.

I shot a local city council meeting a couple of weeks ago in ambient light at iso 2000 with my 24-70l mkII at f4 (I had seven council members spread out and didn't want them out of focus with a shallow depth of field using f2.8 as I was at an angle to them) in EOS Standard and when I got into post I noticed a lot of noise in the dark areas of the clip. Although it cleaned up for the most part, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have this same problem with the conferences I plan to shoot.

Your tech guy said I might want to shoot in Wide Dynamic range, as it would be the least noisy. Your take Tim?

Again, thank you so much for the help! Canon tech is the best!

Announcements