cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C300mk2 Purple glitch line of death the new thread

Arctistic
Apprentice

Hi all,
So my C300mk2 are giving me purple lines in backlight situations. Especially while filming from inside and out, but also when things are illuminated in a room. There has been previous threads but no public answers to what to do or solutions to this.

Because of that....a new thread! 🙂

Is it to be expected? In loads of other places online people say they have been told by canon reps to just do their exposure correct, but all shots in the world shot with the C300 can't reasonable be low key shots exposed for a bright background right?

I have made a video on vimeo with just a few examples:
https://vimeo.com/298751506/c480340a9f

The footage is ungraded and example 1 is the exact reason for why I did get the C300mk2. To be able to use it's full dynamic range and get coverage both on the sky and inside the car. To my knowledge my exposure is not "wrong" from a tech point of view. But then again...the purple stuff kind of ruins the party.

Example 2: As bad as it gets. I did blur the text bc NDA, but the "lines" follows the lines of text.

Example 3: This should not be a difficult situation for any camera.

Example 4: Test shoot changing the F-stop up and down from 1.8 to about 5.6.

All shoots are done in C-log2,
ISO 800
1080p 4:2:2 10Bit

No grading.

ABB done.

Should I accept this quality from canon? Or are my camera way to bad?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello Arctistic, 

We are sorry to hear that this issue has caused purple lines in back lit situations.  If the issue persists, you may wish to set up service to this unit at the Canon Factory.  

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tim
Authority

Hello Arctistic, 

We are sorry to hear that this issue has caused purple lines in back lit situations.  If the issue persists, you may wish to set up service to this unit at the Canon Factory.  

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Tim.
To me this answer is fully acceptable and I read out from it (combined with other answers I have seen around the interwebs) that some minor CMOS-smear could be concidered acceptable because of the way CMOS works, but when appearing with the amount in my example no 2 it would be a service matter and may potentially be resolved by repair.

once again,
Thanks for clearing things up.

Besides the now ever so present purple bars I am super happy with the camera 🙂

Was Canon able to fix the purple glitch issue?

Hi,

That seems to be a very common issue with this camera? Can it be fixed by sending the camera in for repair? If so, what is the repair needed in that case? 

Thanks

Nope. Here is final conclusion on this:
All Canon C300mk2 sensors have more or less of this, and there is no repair solution.

My personal opinion is that it got worse with time even if it was present from the beginning but this is not something I can confirm.

This was a faulty sensor design with a flaw that Canon never adressed properly.

There was other great things with the C300mk2 and it served me very well, but the way the Canon corp dealt with this, and how they never even adressed it publicly with even a disclaimer and a tech-note on such a wide spread issue made me leave the canon brand.

It became the end of line for me with the mk2 and instead of a mk3 I went with Z-cam for my more cinematic projects and FX6 is for my ENG work.

Hi, 

Thanks a lot for your reply! Yes, I am trying to get help from Canon on this, but the service is horrible. I was thinking of switching to the MKIII soon, but I'm looking at other options right now. Maybe the FX9...

The MKIII do not have this issue, but it was the general approach to the issue that made me jump the Canon ship.

I have no issues with local tech-reps or local canon service organizations. It was the Canon HQ corporate call to pretend to be blind to the issue that resulted in my call on this.

Announcements