cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C300 MkII Slow Motion Mode - Optical IS disabled?

MattWilliams
Contributor

I use a few Canon stabilised lenses (24-105) and (70-200) and these work well with the IS on. However, I’ve been shooting in slo-mo mode and the IS doesn't work which makes the filming very shaky. I’m not sure why this is? I have two (70-200) lenses and it is the same with both of them, so it is not a fault with the lens.

Apparently the auto focus features of this camera are disabled when shooting in slo mo (this in itself is not a problem as I don’t use auto focus) but I’m just wondering if the fact the AF is disabled in slo mo mode means that all power is cut from the lens also? This would mean the lens is unpowered and therefore no power for the IS (image stabilisation) feature. Is this the case? If so then it seems a big oversight as when shooting video with this lens the IS is essential, especially given the crop on the higher framerate slo mo as it crops in, so a 200mm becomes a 400mm – shooting anything like this needs the lense’s image stabilisation feature to be working without a doubt!

UPDATE - It's worth mentioning when setting the camera's frame rate to 50P the IS function works fine, however when selecting 50P in slow motion mode the IS doesn't work. So it would seem to be connected to the fact that auto focus is disabled in slow motion mode - seems likely this does cause power to the lens to be be disable also which is very unhelpful as means IS doesn't work. I wonder if this could be fixed in a firmware update?

Matt

4 REPLIES 4

JonKline
Enthusiast

I would be surprised if there was no connection at all to the lens, since you're still able to control aperture and get EXIF data. It does sound like it could be a firmware glitch, though.

I am not sure if you have resolved this issue. I had a buddy of mine who had the same issue. Firmware fixed his problem. I hope this helps. 

www.jasoncases.com

Lifetime abstract photo enthusiast who just so happens to work for the best camera case company in the world.

Yes - that firmware was a big help! Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Glad it worked out. And you're welcome. 

www.jasoncases.com

Lifetime abstract photo enthusiast who just so happens to work for the best camera case company in the world.
Announcements