cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C300 Mark iii Long GOP incompatible with FCPX

ralphographx
Contributor

Hey, anyone else experience the Long Gop XF-AVC being incompatible with NLEs? Only the audio shows up in the editors. VLC can open the MXF file but it can't be edited. I've converted the files with other programs but the timecode doesn't carry over and it's such a hassle. Love the C300iii but need that efficient codec working!

11 REPLIES 11

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi ralphographx,

Thanks for checking in with us.

To help us get a better sense of what you're facing, it would help to know what resolution and frame rate you're using.

Also, what format are you using for your editing codec, and what program are you using to do the conversion?

ralphographx
Contributor
Hi, I’m using XF-AVC, 4096x2160 23.98, Long GOP, only audio shows up in the viewer for FCPX. I’ve downloaded latest plugins. Apple compressor can’t open it as well. I downloaded latest version of XF utility 3.6 and it doesn’t recognize it either.

Hi ralphographx,

Thanks for your response. Are you seeing similar results when you shoot at HD? How are you converting the footage for editing? Are you using ProRes or something else?

With that information we can look into this further, and see if we can give you some additional options.

Similar results when I shoot in HD. Also tried 2k and and 4K UHD. I directly import to Final Cut, Final Cut can't transcode it to Pro Res or Proxy. I used VLC and Acrok to transcode it to MOV and ProRes respectively. The quality deteriorates and timecode does not carry over.

Additional Note. Raw and All-I works great. It's just Long GOP thats not working

ralphographx
Contributor
Any updates?

Hi there,

As far as I can tell there should not be any incompatibility between your XF-AVC footage shot in Long GOP and FCPX, but in what I've looked into I didn't find any specific instance of anyone claiming in the affirmative that they did not find such an issue either. Do you happen to have acces to BlackMagic Da Vinci Resolve? The XF705 had similar issues with compatibility in Adobe and FCP early in its release that were fixed with a FCP/Premiere software update but Da Vinci Resolve was able to handle the files early. This isn't necessarily a permanent workaround but it would let us know if the issue is software related.

ralphographx
Contributor
Thanks for following up. I did try it on DaVinci Resolve and it does work. But I also tried it on my friends MacBook Pro and it has the same problem of being blacked out. I’ll try to do more troubleshooting but it seems at least for me at the moment, long gop doesn’t work on FCPX. It would nice to hear from someone here that has got it working.

Alban06
Apprentice
Hello ! I have the same problem.
Alban from France.

ralphographx
Contributor
Thanks for letting me know. I was starting to wonder if it’s just me. My current workaround is rendering it in DaVinci resolve and exporting it out as prores to work in FCPX. Thank goodness Resolve is free. But definitely would save time if already just worked on FCPX. I’ve tried different frame rates and resolutions and it seems like FCPX just can’t read C300 Long Goo
Announcements