cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C300 MK III RAW and OIS

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hello,

I've just received my C300 MK III, and in the process of setting up the camera I was surprised to learn that the camera's electroinc stabilization is not funtional when recording in RAW.  If I had to guess, I would say that it is processor related.  However, am I correct in assuming that Optically Stabilized lenses should still be functional while recording RAW?

One other question: The camera came with a "Thumber Rest," but there is no guidance in either the quick start guide or the pdf manual as to where it is intended to be installed ... any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Ron

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Please refer to the User Manual.

The page on Image Stabilization (89) calls out that it's not available for RAW clips.

The thumb rest is covered on pages 40 and 41.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky, 

Thank you for your reply, in re the thumb rest, I must have somehow overlooked it in the pdf manual. But it appears to be a replacement for Grip if it is to be removed, so, not important.

Not sure you'd read my initial post, where it had clearly repeated what the manual had stated about IS and RAW, so, yes I saw that and it is the reason for the post.

However, as for Stabilization, I believe that the manual is referring to the camera's 'electronic stabililization'.  OIS (optical image stabilization) is within a lens, independent of a given camera's IBIS or IS, and, logically, should funtion independently of the camera, as it does with stills cameras that do not have IBIS.

This is an addendum to a prior post regarding OIS, RAW recording and the C300 MK III. Below is a confirmatory response from Canon Technical Support:

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 12.17.12 PM.png

Unfortunately, Canon does not offer many stabilized lenses, and my limited use of the C300's electronic stabilization suggests that it is not terribly effective.  

In reference to optically stabilized lenses and the C300 Mk III, I wonder if the stabilization is always "on", or if it is only activated when the record button is pressed?  Anyone???

ADDENDUM:

Canon techincal support had been kind enough to answer the above question, and it appears that OIS is controlled by the lens stabilization switch, regardless of whether the camera is in record mode or not.  If the lens is switched on the OIS will always be active.  

Announcements