cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS C100 Mark II Face AF with Prime Lenses

virmagnavi
Apprentice

Hello! Could I use my Canon STM 24mm and 40mm for Face AF? I have 1.0.5 firmware but still it not working. What problem with it? Why must I use only zoom lenses?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Tim
Authority

Hello virmagnavi, 

Those two lenses will not enable face detection AF within the EOS C100 Mark II.  Technical design specifications are at the behest of Canon engineers and are not decided at the technical support level.  We are however sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Lenses that support face detection AF:

- EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

- EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM

- EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM

- EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM

- EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS STM

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Are there any third party lenses that work with the face af? specifically, sigma EF-S 17-70, tokina EF-S 11-17?

Also, do the prime EF-S canon lenses (50mm 1.8 & 24mm 2.8)?

thank you!

80Doesthejob, 

We are not aware of third party lenses that are compatible with this feature as those are not tested by Canon. 

Only the STM versions of these lenses are listed for compatibility with this feature. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi
I wondered if there might be an updated list of Face Assist AF compatible lenses please?
I'm looking at buying a used Canon C100 Mk2 but many of the lenses listed above are no longer being sold and have been superceded.
Thanks!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Felicity1,

This thread is almost 6 yrs old.  Since the C100 MKII is super 35, Canon primarily recommends EF-S lenses.

shadowsports_0-1677590667690.png

Its true that one by one, many of these lenses are or have been discontinued.

The CN-E 70-200mm T4.4 also supports Face Detect, but is pricey and for that money I'd consider a new product.  

shadowsports_1-1677590806377.png

Other lower cost alternatives:

EF 70 ~300 II USM

EF 16 ~35 f2.8 III

Latest version of FW available for the camera as of this writing is v1.0.5.1.00

Prime lenses may not be the best choice for face detect unless the subject is stationary and not moving.  

I don't know what your budget is or if you own any lenses currently.  It sound like you don't and are shopping and considering options.  

What you may want to do is start your own topic and tell us more about what your planned use for a video camera is.  It should include a budget and also let us know if you own any other gear.  The camera you are considering is 11 yrs old.  Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but you may be able to buy something newer with the features you are looking for at an attractive price.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This list should also be helpful.

What lenses are compatible with Dual Pixel CMOS AF? (EOS C100 Mark II) (custhelp.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements