cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C100: Issue with duplicate recording

seanarmada
Apprentice

Hi all,

I've owned a C100 for a few months now and love it! I recently shot a conference and noticed something very peculiar:

Once I offloaded all my footage into Premiere Pro I noticed that for many clips it had recorded the same clip up to 4 times in a row, with different names (i.e. the same clip would end up being 00002.MTS, 00003.MTS, 00004.MTS, 00005.MTS). Naturally this ate up the memory on my SD cards fast. These duplicate clips were on the same SD card, not duplicates created on the card in the second slot.

To confirm I did NOT have dual slot recording on, I did activate relay recording so that it would switch automatically to the next card if need be.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on??

Thank you!

Sean

6 REPLIES 6

Mase2107
Apprentice

I had the same problem a couple of days ago. Today the clips didn't duplicate, but it cut a 12min take into 2 clips which is really frustrating. Did you ever find out what was going on?

No idea yet! I'm going to try turning off relay recording (both set to NO) and see if that helps. Also I haven't updated any of the firmware yet. Any idea if that helps?

Just a quick follow up. Someone provided this link on another forum and it totally makes sense: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?314634-Strange-duplicate-files

Not sure what your workflow is like but this could very well be the issue. I just dump the whole folder from the SD card to my hard drive and start importing through Premiere.

rayocon
Apprentice
We had the same problem on a C300. Shot several interviews and the files were duplicated on the CF card so it was recorded that way and was not during import. Files were duplicated 3-5 times. Strange thing was we shot b-roll after the interviews and none of those files were duplicated.

I also had this problem with my c300. Recorded two  interviews that each ran 15-20 minutes in length. On my CF card it reads,  three duplicate clips for each interview. And each size is slightly different. But i brought it into adobe and they are all working duplicates of each other. Very annoying and strange. Called canon and they had no answers for me. No i am testing on my cards to see if it happens again. If anyone can diagnose, much appreciated!

dbowker3d
Contributor

I think my first step would be to have the camera re-format both cards. Its possible that there is some small error happening on the header of the card, and that might cause the files to be duplicated. I mean, I've never seen this particular behavior with my camera (C100 Mark II) before, but just knowing that memory cards in general are a little more finicky, I'd start with that at least.

Beyond that, maybe resetting the camera to factory defaults? That's sort of the nuclear option but... I just would be nervous that at some point something critical gets over written, rather than duplicated.

Doug Bowker
www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com

Never underestimate the power of kindness.

Announcements