cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canonusa
Administrator
Administrator

EOS-Webcam-Tips-MAC-notool (1).png

Have you had a chance to use our EOS Webcam Utility Mac software?

We’d love to know what you think of it! Once you’ve had some experience with it, share your feedback below to get tips and tricks from our support team.

*Verified comments posted below this article will be given a "kudos" from the official Canon U.S.A. account and added to our the tips & tricks list below.*

original_monitor-image_03.png

*Image depicts available livestream viewing options*

Canon Tips: Using EOS Webcam Utility Mac Software

• When using EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 software with macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and macOS 10.15 (Catalina) the following desktop applications will not list or permit EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 software to function on your device. Use Web-based client in Google Chrome instead of a desktop application: 
    • Safari (Use Google Chrome)
    • FaceTime
    • WebEx
    • Discord
    • Slack*

*Limitation applies when using EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 Software with macOS 10.13(High Sierra) and macOS 10.14(Mojave) and 10.15(Catalina)

• EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 software does not support apps downloaded from the App Store. Please download the application from the service provider’s website where available.

• The camera can only operate with one application on your computer at a time. If the video conferencing or streaming application you are trying to use cannot receive the video feed from your camera, close all other applications on your computer that may be connected to the camera.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 software with video conferencing or streaming applications, we cannot guarantee that it will be compatible with your device and/or the software applications you are using. If you experience any issues, we suggest using a web-based client version of the service or trying a different video conferencing or streaming application.

FIND THE RIGHT WEBCAM STARTER KIT

products-v2.png

Whether connecting with colleagues, academic peers, or family and friends, find the right webcam starter kit that works for you.

button-shop-now.png

231 Comments
Jorge Flores
Not applicable

Webcam utility is interrumped very frecuently on Big Sur using OBS and mimoLive. I'm using Canon EOS Rebel T6. 

I try using Syphon to connect but the video capture is getting freeze frequently too in both platforms.

Abraham De la Cruz
Not applicable

On MacBook Pro M1 I cannot activate my Canon EOS 77D as a webcam with the EOS 70D utility

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

AbrahamDelaCruz.jpg

Greetings, Abraham De la Cruz

Canon is still in the process of updating our EOS Webcam Utility software to be compatible with Mac OS 11 Big Sur running on Apple's new M1 processor. You may try downloading and installing the latest versions of our software for Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina to see if itwill work with your computer. On the software download page for your EOS 77D camera, please click on the drop down box for the operating system to change it to Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina.

In case it will not run on your computer or the camera is not recognized as a webcam, then I would recommend to occasionally check the software download page to see when updates do become available. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Link to the software download page for your EOS 77D:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Stephan
Not applicable

Thanks for getting the MacOS version of the software going!

What is the timeframe to add the Canon 5D Mark II to the list of compatible cameras?

Celia Yentzen
Not applicable

I've tried to use my Canon EOS6D Mark ii as a webcam via the EOS webcam utility through both Zoom and Streamyard, and I only get the status image with the camera and exclamation point.  I can't find the support forum for the EOS webcam utility, but can't.  Is this it?  

Also, I tried to attach an image but couldn't. 

Somebody please help. 

Andy Zhou
Not applicable

All,

Just want to share my experience with Webcam utility, hope it helps Apple users. Mine is MacBookAir M1. I managed to have both cameras (EOS T2i,  60D) working.

Webcam utility Mac will be installed w/o a problem, make sure you have rosetta on your Big Sur.

Since Webcam utility is in Intel architecture, so your camera apps should be Intel architecture as well. Zoom, OBS, WebEx all should be Intel version, if it prompts upgrade, ignore it. Then it will recognize the camera.

Best,

Andy

Animalslove
Not applicable
Please help..this happened during my live stream and I need to go on live tomorrow night. 

🦋 I can't get the new EOS Utility program download to work with my DSLR-CANON Kiss EOS x7i CAMERA on my MACBOOK PRO (Catalina). Started a few minutes into my live stream which I do through a program called Ecamm.

Shows as EOS Utility BETA where the video should be (me) and there is no DSLR camera connection, just my MacBook pro Facetime video in the Ecaam window.

I started a whole new live stream after restarting everything. It worked but only for about a minute. Then it just showed the words "EOS Utility BETA" with the black behind it in the window again.

Mini USB to USB-C Cable connects my DSLR to my Macbook Pro

Things I have tried:

Deleting all previous EOS Utility versions from my system.

I tried uploading the new version for EOS Rebel T7i and then tried Rebel T7 because that is what I had been told by Canon previously worked with my camera.

But although I can see the new EOS I still see EOS Utility BETA in the view window in Ecamm.

This set-up has been nothing but a hassle since I invested in this stuff. But I'm stuck with it for now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Animalslove
Not applicable
Please help..this happened during my live stream and I need to go on live tomorrow night. 🙏

🦋 I can't get the new EOS Utility program download to work with my DSLR-CANON Kiss EOS x7i CAMERA on my MACBOOK PRO (Catalina). Started a few minutes into my live stream which I do through Ecamm Live to YouTube. 

Shows as EOS Utility BETA where the video should be (me) and there is no DSLR camera connection, just my MacBook
Pro Facetime video in the Ecaam window.

I started a whole new live stream after restarting everything. It worked but only for about a minute. Then it just showed the words "EOS Utility BETA" with the black behind it in the window again.

Mini USB to USB-C Cable connects my DSLR to my Macbook Pro

Things I have tried:

Deleting all previous EOS Utility versions from my system.Beta still show in my Applications folder even though I've tried to remove it. The new version of EOS Utility is also in the folder.  

I tried uploading the new version for EOS Rebel T7i and then tried Rebel T7 because that is what I had been told by Canon previously worked with my camera.

But although I can see the new EOS I still see EOS Utility BETA in the view window in Ecamm.

This set-up has been nothing but a hassle since I invested in this stuff. But I'm stuck with it for now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Chris McDuffie
Not applicable

I've found another workaround for those M1 MBP users. I've downloaded OBS (streaming software), configured it to work with Canon Web Utility, then use OBS as a webcam in Zoom. Problem solved.

Third
Not applicable

Im using Macbook Air (Big Sur) and I downloaded EOS for my Canon G7X, but cannot use it for zoom or OBS. It just shows the screen prompt with the red X sign. Hope you can help fix this issue. 

Thank you.

EricHeins
Not applicable

Hello! Still waiting for a Webcam Utility update to work with M1 Macs running the latest Big Sur. Seems like Canon has had plenty of time...

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Third,

At this time the PowerShot G7X is not a camera that the EOS Webcam Utility supports. We appreciate feedback on updates to our cameras and software customers would like to see. We have a team that documents and handles customer feedback. I have already alerted them to this email, but if you want to contact them directly in the future they can be reached by going to our website HERE and selecting Feedback in the top left corner of the site. We do take customer suggestions and feedback into consideration when we are updating our products and processes.

We are not notified to future software, firmware, or hardware updates prior to them being officially announced by Canon. If you would like to be notified about updates you can also set your email preferences in your Canon account to receive EOS News. If you want to see a full list of currently supported cameras that is available HERE.

EricHeins
Not applicable

Hello! Still waiting for a Webcam Utility update to work with M1 Macs running the latest Big Sur. Seems like Canon has had plenty of time...

Are there any updates in the works to fix this?

Thank you in advance

2020 M1 Mac Mini, EOS 80D

EricHeins
Not applicable
Hello Hazel_T! Do you have any information on my above question? Thank you so much!
A Laparra
Not applicable

I'm using a 5d MK II with a Mac and there is no option to download this sadly. Will this become available???? 

Treadpool
Not applicable

Hi - Is there a beta or something we can try for Mac M1 support? I have a Canon M50 and just got my M1 - now there's no EOS Webcam Utility option in Zoom. Any eta at all for us on this? Currently using OBS to feed, but there's some audio lag vs the video now. 

mjmvisser
Apprentice

If you're on a Mac and the Webcam Utility is not working, try closing Google Drive, Dropbox and any other file sync apps. It seems these apps aggressively try to connect to the camera so they can upload photos, and this prevents the Webcam Utility from connecting.

I couldn't figure out how to prevent Google Drive from connecting to my camera, so I just uninstalled it. Maybe there's a better solution, please reply here if you've found one.

RobertMit
Not applicable

I have an M1 Macbook Air. I've tried installing the EOS webcam utility. It says that it's installed and needs to restart. Once the computer restarts I see an EOS Webcam folder, but it contains only the EOS Webcam Uninstaller. Am I missing something?

maico996
Not applicable

I'm running Big Sur 11.5.1 on my MacBook Pro with a 5D MkIV. While I was not even able to download the WebCam software from Canon's site, I was able to find a beta version by searching with Google. I installed the beta version and the utility is working in MS Teams (not the web version). In order to utilize auto-focus you have to push the "Start/Stop" button and then half-press the shutter button. This also allows you to change shutter speed, aperture, ISO and change the focus point using the touch screen. I haven't really tested it fully so I don't know if I'll have the 30-minute hiccup but at least it's working!

Canon, it's been a million years since Big Sur was released...we're all waiting..............................

ianrua
Not applicable

I just downloaded and tried using it with Facetime on a 2019 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.2 and Facetime does not detect the camera... any idea when this will be fixed?