cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canonusa
Administrator
Administrator

EOS-Webcam-FAQ-MAC-notool (1).png

*Verified Q&A comments that are commented below this artcile will be given a "kudos" from the official Canon U.S.A. account and added to the FAQ list below.*

Q: What are the supported Canon camera models for the official version?

A: In total there are 43 models -- refer to canon.us/livestream for the full list.

Q: What is the distribution for official version?

A: The beta version was only available in the USA. However the official version will be widely distributed in regions outside the USA. Please check the website of each country or region to see if it is distributed in your area, or contact your local service location.

Q: I want to use the software with high image quality. (I want to use FHD). 

A: The resolution using the software is generally 1024x576 when set to video mode.  Please note that this may vary depending on your camera model.

Q: Does continuous use of the camera generate heat?

A: When you don't use in-camera recording, the webcam functionality does not generate more heat than during normal shooting. But, if you use in-camera recording, it will generate the same amount of heat as during normal in-camera recording.

Q: Can I use the camera’s microphone?

A: No, EOS Webcam Utility software doesn't transmit audio through USB connection.Please use your computer’s built-in microphone or an external microphone separately connected to your computer. 

Q: What are the supported Mac Operating Systems?

A: Please refer to the below/attached image OR visit canon.us/livestream for the full list of supported Mac Operating Systems.*

Canon-WebCam-Utility-Instructions-Mac-Official-v22.jpg

*EOS Webcam Utility software does not support apps downloaded from the App Store. Please download the application from the service provider’s website where available.*

Q: What is the frame rate of the video stream?

A: The frame rate depends on the camera model, camera settings, laptop performance and the transmission speed specifications of your laptop and USB, etc., however in most cases it is up to 30 fps.

Q: Can multiple cameras be used with the EOS Webcam Utility software?

A: The software does not support streaming from multiple cameras simultaneously.

Q: How can I increase the output resolution on a USB Feed?

A: The resolution of the video stream through the USB feed cannot be changed. If you need a higher resolution output please consider utilizing HDMI options offered by your camera model, if compatible. Please refer to canon.us/livestream for information on clean HDMI output supported cameras offered by Canon.

Q: Does the EOS Webcam Utility Tool support 4K?

A: The software does not support 4K. If you need a higher resolution output please consider utilizing HDMI options offered by your camera model, if compatible. Please refer to canon.us/livestream for information on clean HDMI output supported cameras offered by Canon.

Q: How long can I stream using the EOS Webcam Utility software? Is streaming limited to 30 minutes?

A: The streaming is not limited to 30 minutes and you can stream until the battery runs out. If you want longer usage please consider an AC adapter and DC coupler as an option. Depending on the camera temprature, camera will automatically shutdown to protect camera device. To prevent overheating it is recommended to set the video resolution to 1080p.

Q: How can I sync the video and audio, or reduce the lag between video and audio?

A: EOS Webcam Utility does not control the sync of video and audio.

Q:Why do I get the EOS Webcam Utility logo in reverse on my video feed?

A:If the previewed image (EOS Webcam Utility logo) on the video feed is mirrored, it will depend on the video conference or streaming application you are using.

Q: What if my camera isn't listed but I tried it and it works?

A: The list of supported cameras includes the cameras that have been tested with the software. We cannot guarantee functionality of the software with a camera not included on the list.

Q: Can the software work via HDMI connection?

A: EOS Webcam Utility software does not support HDMI connection and only supports USB connection. Please check our website for cameras that support clean HDMI output and how to use them.

Q: Why do I see black border in my video feed?

A: When the camera is set to "Still Photo" shooting mode, black side pillars may appear to the border around the video source image. We suggest that you set the camera to "Movie" recording mode. Note: Some selected cameras may still display black side pillars bordering around the video source image, even if set to "Movie" recording mode.

Q: Is it possible to internally record video while streaming?

A: Yes, recording while streaming is supported.

Q: Is there are an internal record time limit while streaming?

A: Recording time while streaming and recording is limited to the cameras video recording time specification.

FIND THE RIGHT WEBCAM STARTER KIT

products-v2.png

Whether connecting with colleagues, academic peers, or family and friends, find the right webcam starter kit that works for you.

button-shop-now.png

158 Comments
Guiseppi
Not applicable

Hi, mine doesn't seem to be working. I have a Canon EOS 1300D (Rebel T6) and I downloaded the EOS Webcam Utility, followed all the instructions, and it just doesn't seem to work on my Mac (MacBook Air 2014). Whenever I plug the USB chord to the computer/Mac from my camera, the shutter completely shuts off automatically and every time I select the EOS Webcam Utility as my source for the webcam, I see a screen with a camera icon and a red dot at the bottom. Hope you can help because I really would like to use my Canon DSLR as a webcam. 

LJ1
Not applicable

Is support available for older Canon DSLRs? Canon XSi in particular ...

pmora
Not applicable

Where could I find the explanation for status screens error messages?

givoly
Apprentice

Hi,

I just upgraded my beta version to the official release (on macOS Mojave 10.14). 

Coming into this, I was very fearful of this move, because everything was working perfectly for me... 

And I already regret it!

Why? Well, two problems:

1. This version, you added black pillar boxes on right and left. The content proportions seem to have changed. It used to e 16x9. Now, it's not! My image used to be 16x9.(1280x720) Now, it's 16x11.25 (1024x720) with black boxes on right and left.

How can I fix this? Must I uninstall and reinstall the beta?

Here is an image showing the raw image coming into the web conferencing software...

2. The camera stopped working during a zoom call today. This NEVER happened with the beta software. I'm on a continuous DC-coupled battery, so the camera should never lose power.

TalPhoto-1.jpeg

Here is what webcamtests.com shows as details from camera:

Webcam Name:Quality Rating:Built-in Microphone:Built-in Speaker:Frame rate:Stream Type:Image Mode:Webcam MegaPixels:Webcam Resolution:Video Standard:Aspect Ratio:PNG File Size:JPEG File Size:Bitrate:Number of Colors:Average RGB Color:Lightness:Luminosity:Brightness:Hue:Saturation:

EOS Webcam Utility
None
None
30 FPS
video
rgb
0.92 MP
1280×720
HD
1.09 MB
620.87 kB
18.19 MB/s

38.43%
38.72%
38.69%
198°
5.10%

UPDATE (2020-11-13):

Because of these two problems, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the beta. This was a good thing. it immediately fixed the pillarboxes (black boxes on right/left of image) - these were not as much a nuisance with 1-on-1 video conferencing as they were with group meetings, where it really looks odd - and instead of having very high quality video, I had these strange pillar boxes. Also, the official version seems to shut down the camera after 30 minutes - this doesn't happen with the beta. So by downgrading, I fixed both of these issues. Thankfully, uninstalling and reinstalling the beta was painless.

Here's the result - it lowered the resolution from 1280x720 to 1024x576, but that's not a big price to pay. I would much rather the resolution be 1280x720... but not with those pillar boxes and shutting down EACH ~30 minutes...

Here's the resulting image and stats:

Photo-1 (1).jpeg

Webcam Name:Quality Rating:Built-in Microphone:Built-in Speaker:Frame rate:Stream Type:Image Mode:Webcam MegaPixels:Webcam Resolution:Video Standard:Aspect Ratio:PNG File Size:JPEG File Size:Bitrate:Number of Colors:Average RGB Color:Lightness:Luminosity:Brightness:Hue:Saturation:

EOS Webcam Utility Beta
None
None
22 FPS
video
rgb
0.59 MP
1024×576
???
896.42 kB
479.51 kB
10.21 MB/s

52.16%
51.91%
51.76%
22°
9.02%
AHC6D
Contributor
I have attempted to install this webcam software twice. I only see the uninstall utility in my Applications folder. Same results with both attempts. the installation recognizes my Mac iOS version. Any ideas about why this is not installing? Thanks, Alan
Harry Aaron
Not applicable

I'm using the EOS R with firmware 1.7 on a Mac Pro, and none of my streaming softwares (Zoom, OBS, Twitch Studio) are getting a feed from my camera with the 1.0 Official release of Webcam Utility. This is the message I'm getting:

1.png

Alan PAOLETTI
Not applicable

Big Sur just came out today. Would love to upgrade. My operating system but Big Sur is not shown as a supported os yet, does anyone know if this works yet and if not when we might have an update?

Mike Cargal
Not applicable

OK, I have the mac EOS Webcam utility installed.  So far, no joy.

I've tried my R5, and my 5dMk IV.  Using a 5k iMac on latest update of Catalina.

I've tried Zoom and OBS which both give the EOS Web Utility black screen with the X above a USB connector.  (just like Permalink)

When I tried Facetime, it wasn't listed as an option.

What is the simplest way to just determine that the software is installed correctly and communicating with the camera?

Once I've established that, I can try to work out what might be going on with a particular conferencing software.

So far the experience has been abysmal.  Just a dumb, blank stare back from the software with no indication whatsoever re: what to do to remediate whatever problem I might have.

(I'm not encouraged but the silence other posts have received in this forum, but I'll add my voice.)

wildeye7
Scout

Using a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 with the webcam utility. So far I had a video feed for about 10 seconds and ever since then I've gotten the status screen saying the LiveView is being utilized by another application. Problem being the only applications I have open are Firefox, OBS, and Preview (for troubleshooting the EOS Webcam utility). EOS Utility 3 is OFF and set to not open when the camera is plugged into the computer. Using Mac OS Mojave. I've restarted my computer as well as power cycled the camera to no avail. I also tried using the camera with Google Meet and had same issue. I've also tried relaunching Finder. What else can I do? Thank you

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.40.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-12 at 8.21.36 PM.png

Tim Peters
Not applicable
My devices: Macbook Pro 2016 // Camera canon 550dApple Single Dongle: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapterSatichi Multi Dongle: https://satechi.net/products/aluminum-type-c-multimedia-adapter?variant=2265695125513I power the camera with a dummy battery. The camera never freezes and work like expected when connecting with single(canon original cable "usb-mini -> usb" )  to  (Apple Single Dongle "usb-usb-c")BUT

Whem i use a Satichi Multi Dongle that support USB 3.0 the image often freezes or never starts (80% of the times). Why does this happen. I only have 2 usb-c and run a 1080p hdmi screen on the Satichi Multi Dongle and a 1440p dp screen on the dp-->usb-c adapter. So don't have i single port for a camera only left and thought the old usb 2.0 canon cable would be the bottleneck. (So confusing)I have noticed that when launch the camera with the Apple Single Dongle it runs well and i can replug it to the Satichi Multi Dongle and it will still work. But if i start with the Satichi Multi Dongle it doesen't. Seems like starting with the single connection with the Apple Single Dongle tell the software something. This makes no sense to me. Any hints or tips, this is so close to working.

Example image of setuphttps://ibb.co/Wz6X2j1
My devices: Macbook Pro 2016 // Camera canon 550d
Apple Single Dongle: link
Satichi Multi Dongle: link

I power the camera with a dummy battery. The camera never freezes and work like expected when connecting with single(canon original cable "usb-mini -> usb" )  to  (Apple Single Dongle "usb-usb-c")

BUT

When i use a Satichi Multi Dongle that support USB 3.0 the image often freezes or never starts (80% of the times). Why does this happen. I only have 2 usb-c and run a 1080p hdmi screen on the Satichi Multi Dongle and a 1440p dp screen on the dp-->usb-c adapter. So don't have a single port left for a camera only and thought the old usb 2.0 canon cable would be the bottleneck. (So confusing)

I have noticed that when launch the camera with the Apple Single Dongle it runs well and I can replug it to the Satichi Multi Dongle and it will still work. But if i start with the Satichi Multi Dongle it doesen't. Seems like starting with the single connection with the Apple Single Dongle tell the software something, not sure if the multiport confuses the software.
Also the camera seems to work more often if you use a normal battery instead of the dummy battery charger. 

This makes no sense to me. Any hints or tips, this is so close to working.

Dan R
Not applicable

Well this sucks! I was using the beta on my T3i and it worked great, and my camera wasn't even one that was supposed to work. When I saw that the full version came out and the T3i was included, I was really excited to download and install it. 

After it worked for a few minutes with bars on the sides, it totally stopped working. 

Is this just a ploy to get me to upgrade my camera? Is there a link to the beta version so I can downgrade?

JB78
Not applicable

Any word on support for Big Sur. I'm trying to get it working, but no luck so far.

JB78
Not applicable

Update - I got it working with Big Sur. I wasn't getting a picture with OBS, but when I checked "Use Preset" under the Video Capture Device settings, suddenly the image appeared. 

givoly
Apprentice

This forum is built using fairly old technology... No ability to reply, or track specific sub-conversations... or be notified if anybody replies to your comments or to mention any user by name via tagging...  

Anyway- response to @Dan R:

Yes, same thing I experienced. I uninstalled the official release and reinstalled the beta. I too have a T2i (that isn't listed as supported by beta or by official release) and yet it works perfectly with the beta and has pillar boxes for the official release and stops working after ~30 minutes. So I suggest you uninstall and reinstall from the previously downloaded beta release (if you have it in your downloads folder).

Marios
Not applicable

Hi everyone, first time today testing the webcam utility on my iMac Pro (i9) with BiG Sur update. It works with zoom and webex but it loses the signal very often. Im trying this with my 6D. I get the black screen with webcamutility logo. First I thought that it may be the cable (original in the camera's box - 1st time opening) and I tried another one but the issue still shows up frequently. 

hackeco
Not applicable

Does anyone have any idea how to get the autofocus working on 5d3?

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Guiseppi.jpg

Greetings, Guiseppi

Prior to connecting the EOS Rebel T6 to your computer, let's make sure that the wireless feature on the camera has been disabled. Afterwards, let's connect the camera back to your computer with the USB cable.

Let's also close any applications that may be running on your computer, or in your task tray that may be connected to your camera, or using the camera’s LiveView video signal. For example: EOS Utility or any other application that may be connected to the camera.

If possible, let's try testing a different USB cable and connecting the cable to a different USB port. If you are still experiencing issues, then I would recommend to reach out to our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

pmora.jpg

Greetings, pmora

You may click on the following link to access the Getting Started Guide where it will provide screenshots of connection issues you may experience. It will be on page 13 of the PDF document where it will show the screenshot, the cause of the issue, and a solution.

If you are still experiencing issues using your compatible EOS or PowerShot G-series camera with the EOS Webcam Utility, then I would recommend to reach out to our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

AHC6D.jpg

Greetings, Alan (AHC6D)

There isn't an executable file to run and open the EOS Webcam Utility. It runs in the background after it's been installed. After installation, you may reboot your computer and then attempt to use your compatible EOS or PowerShot G-series camera with your video conferencing application. The utility allows for your video conferencing application to recognize the Canon camera as a video source and webcam.

You may click on the Getting Started Guide which will walk you step by step with installing and using the EOS Webcam Utility.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

HarryAaron.jpg

Greetings, Harry Aaron

The image you're seeing is due to the camera’s LiveView video signal being utilized by another application. We would recommend to please exit or close any applications that may be running on your computer, or in your task tray that may be connected to your camera, or using the camera’s LiveView video signal.

Since you have tested a handful of streaming applications, then let's check to see if the EOS Utility application is running in the background. If it is, then please close the EOS Utility application to allow the EOS webcam Utility to communicate with your EOS R camera.

If you are still experiencing issues, then I would recommend to reach out to our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

Kenyon Gerbrandt
Not applicable

The key: Chrome browser using the web-based application and NOT the stand alone apps. So when you go to Zoom, you will see the big blue button that says "Launch Meeting" then the browser dialouge wants you to "Open zoom.us" click cancel. Then click "Launch Meeting" again and when the browser dialouge wants you to "open zoom.us" again click cancel. Now you should see a new option on the web page "Having issues with Zoom Client? Join from Your Browser (click the blue link text) Viola! You should now be able to access your canon EOS camera via the Zoom browser edition. IF you have already enabled the "Always allow zoom.us to open links of this type in the associated app" (this means that any meetings you access via the Zoom website automatically open in the Zoom app installed on your computer) you will need to go back into Chrome-->Preferences-->Privacy&Security-->SiteSettings-->zoom.us then click "Reset Permissions" this should then allow you to force the "Join from Your Browser" option directly on the website.

There is a very similar series of steps for using the EOS Webcam Utility with Skype. Again the key is Chrome browser and DO NOT use the installed app...use the browser! This works and I don't have to quit Google Drive or Dropbox. 

Gandalf
Not applicable

Having zero luck with EOS R on Big Sur *(11.0.1) trying to use FaceTime (5.0) on a 2018 Mac Mini. Could potentially be something I'm doing (or not doing), but there don't seem to be that many things I could do differently. 

Devrim
Not applicable

Hi everybody,

I started to use it as beta version for few months now. I have an EOS R and connecting the usb c cable that came with my cam directly to macbookpro 2018 version with i9 processor. I managed to use it not only with the browser versions but also the standalone versions of zoom, teams, webex and also my photobooth app shows it as an option and works really well with it also. Of course sometimes it just shows the webcam utility logo, but after shutting camera down and unplugging and plugging ı managed to get it working hence %80. I upgraded to big sur for few days now and it still works as before.

After Canon announced the official version I upgraded but even tough it works it seemed to have a lower resolution than before. I switched back to the beta version and voila. resolution turned back to what it used to be.

I just wanted to share my experience and I have some advice for future updates:

Some sort of interface will be really usefull for

-controlling ang checking the connection rather thar trying to find if it is connected.

-we can see the input resolution with options to choose with the right hardware and get rid of the software limitation and let us to upgrade connection if we choose to do.

-Last but not least we can have a image correction options as brightness or color correction 

and a question:

the resolution I am getting is seems better than they are saying is it possible to measure it in realtime?

I hope it helps,

best regards

Devrim Ulusal

[Removed email address to protect privacy]

dakota dotson
Not applicable

I keep getting the error message with EOS utility with the x mark on the cable. ive tried various cables and havent had any luck

Pierre-Antoine
Not applicable

Like many other people before it seems:

The utility worked once. I was able to use my DSLR once. Since then I am only getting the error message that mentions that the source is used by another device (the camera icon, with the red warning sign.).

I tried:

- closing absolutely everything

- re-installing the software

- re-starting

- changing usb port

- changing usb A to usb C adapter

nothing seems to work

Any idea on how to solve this issue? I am extremely frustrated.

PS: I am using the version 1.0 utility app with an EOD 60D, on a 2019 mac (usb-c only) with MacOS Mojave, on Amazon Chime Conferencing webapp.

2fifty6
Not applicable

Why does the webcam utility work with FaceTime in High Sierra but not Mojave onward? What's different about those systems? Is that something that a future version of the utility can correct?

ajbezark
Scout

I've got Webcam Utility working with my EOS M200 on a 2019 16" MBP in Big Sur (11.0.1). 

The M200 is set to 1080p at 30fps.

I'm getting an image on both Zoom and Google Meet. 

But when I check the "webcam" output:

1. The image seems to be entering the MBP at 640x360. 
  2. Frame rate is 25fps.
  3. Image is delayed by approx. 10 frames, very noticeably out of sync with audio. 

Is this expected behavior? Are there any settings I can change to increase the resolution, frame rate or speed of sync?

Any suggestions welcomed...

Shamurai
Apprentice

Got it working:

• Canon 6D FW1.1.6.
  • Big Sur (used Catalina installer).
  • 16" MBP.
  • USB cable with Apples USB to USB-C dongle.
  • Quit Google Drive and Dropbox.

That last step is very important (what made it work). Many thanks to others on this thread who poninted that out.  Worked with Zoom and OBS.

JonCollins
Not applicable

Connection Fails After Any Inturruption

The only way I've gotten the Webcam Utility to work correctly is to have the camara on with the cable connected when I boot up the computer. And if anything inturrupts the connection, I get the USB error status screen until I restart again as described. Is this a known issue? What could the problem be? Any help appreciated!

EOS R, 2018 MacBook Air, Catalina 10.15.7

Mark Strathmore
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'm using the latest EOS Webcam utility (non beta). 

I am on Big Sur with MS Teams as follows "You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.30874. It was last updated on 05/12/2020."

Even though the table in the FAQ above says that MS Teams app (not via Chrome browser) is supported on Catalina (and above, is my assumption altough that's just an assumption), I only see "Facetime HD camera" as the single option in Teams' device settings.

The utility works perfectly with Zoom on the same setup, so it's not a cable / camera issue, purely related to Teams.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark.

melfi28
Scout

I have a Canon EOS 80D and a Macbook Air 13in, Early 2015 running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7.

I have successfully run the Windows version of the webcam utility with this camera on my work computer, but with my personal mac I just downloaded the official non-beta webcam utility and after installing it when I connect my camera to the computer it does not recognize it. Neither the computer nor the camera recognizes they are connected. I have tried different ports on the computer and different cords and nothing seems to work. Again, I know the camera will work because I have used it with other computers with the webcam utility. Just can't get it to recognize it on my mac.

Anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions?

Thank you!

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

melfi28.jpg

Greetings, melfi28

You were able to confirm that the EOS 80D does work with your Windows 10 work computer when using the EOS Webcam Utility. You've already tried a couple of the troubleshooting steps that we would have recommended, like testing different ports and different cables.

Let's check to see if the Wi-Fi feature is enabled on the EOS 80D. If it's enabled, please disable the Wi-Fi feature and let's test the connection again to see if the EOS Webcam Utility will recognize the camera.

When trying to use the EOS Webcam Utility with the EOS 80D, let's make sure the EOS 80D is set to the video recording mode.

On your compute, let's check to see if the EOS Utility is running in the background. In case it is, please exit and quit the EOS Utility prior to using the EOS Webcam Utility.

We would also want to make sure that there are no other apps or services on your computer which may be communicating with the camera, like a Photos app, cloud based storage service, etc.

Please make sure the app you're tring to use the camera with as a webcam is listed on the list of apps tested by Canon: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility

You may also click on the following link to access our PDF set up guide, which will also provide some troubleshooting steps: https://downloads.canon.com/webcam-utility/Canon-WebCam-Utility-Instructions-Mac-Official-FINAL.pdf

In case you're still unable to get the EOS 80D to work with your Mac computer, then please reach out to our phone support team for further assistance. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

Michal from Poland
Not applicable

Hello, when will be update for OS Big Sur for mac?

Andy Wong
Not applicable

When I run my Zoom app on my 15 inch 2014 macbook pro running MacOS Catalina, EOS Webcam Utility isn't an option in the video settings. I've installed the 60D EOS Webcam Utility plugin, and even uninstalled and installed it again several times tryign to trouble shoot this issue. Still no success. Has anyone else faced this problem?

cmac7203
Apprentice

I am guessing that the Catalina version will not run on a Big Sur OS? My 80D is a no go on connection. 

• MacBook Air 2019 running Big Sur
  • 80D, firmware ver 1.0.3
  • Camera not visible in FaceTime, PhotoBooth, or any of the web-based sites (e.g., Zoom)
  • Canon EOS utility not running
  • wifi disabled on camera
  • Video recording mode is set
  • Al cloud storage apps disconnected and "off"
  • Have tried different ports and different browswers
  • USB cable was one off my T3i, and it works perfectly well with the EOS utility (maybe it doesn't with webcam utility?)

Radiohound
Not applicable

Hi - Just downloaded the Webcam utility for my EOS800D (used EOS Rebel T7i link) so I can use on Zoom to the family at Christmas. Shame no audio so was going to use laptop mic, but there is a massive delay in the video, so lip sync is impossible so end result unusable. Any ideas on how to illiminate the significant video delay?

Thanks 

uberboxer
Not applicable

Apples Facetime in High Sierra is supported, but no newer OSX versions.  Will this change in the future?

Is this the EOS Webcam Utility done being developed, specifically for the Mac OS, or will it be supported long into the future with new feature sets and improvements?

Thank you!

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

uberboxer.jpg

Hello, uberboxer

Canon is still supporting the EOS Webcam Utility and we will provide updates or changes if we see that it is something that would need an update. In the meantime, I can submit your feedback. Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer feedback are all taken in to consideration.

Thank you

craighaskins
Spectator

I love the new webcam utility. However, I cannot figure out how to remove the auto-focus box from the screen.  I have updte the T6i firmware and I'm running the latest version of webcam utility for my Macbook Pro. Please offer assistance.  

2020-12-28_11-45-29.jpg

Bill Simpson
Not applicable

I have the Webcam Utility installed and working beautifully with my Canon T6i and Macbook Pro. I can use it pretty much in anything. (Zoom, OBS etc.) 

Here's my issue. I use this to teach classes that last anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours. However every 30 minutes the liveview shutter cuts off and back on. Students see my video replaced by a "EOS Webcam Utility" fail image for about 2 sec then my video returns. Although this has been a manageable issue when leveraged against the far superiour quality of my Rebel T6i over the logi webcam I was using, I still would LOVE to stop this from happening.

Any ideas?

Bill

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

craighaskins.jpg

Greetings, craighaskins

It's odd to see the corner brackets appearing when using the EOS Webcam Utility with your EOS Rebel T6i. I would recommend to check and make sure that the lens is set to auto focus. Then, let's check to see if the camera is in the video recording mode or if it's in the picture taking mode. In case it's in the picture taking mode, let's switch it over the video taking mode to see if it clears up the screen to provide you a clean image.

In case that doesn't resolve the issue, feel free to reach out to our phone support team for further assistance. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

Kevin Fall
Not applicable

I'm using an EOS 7D with USB cable.  I use it both with Windows 10 and Mac Big Sur.

Windows 10 seems to be ok.

For Mac, it starts up fine and tends to work for about half an hour before indicating the USB is no longer attached.

(similar to a posting above it seems).

Power cycling the camera seems to fix this.

This problem did not seem to occur with the beta Mac version.

AMcDavid
Not applicable

Any idea when Big Sur will be supported? Would like to hook up my EOS Rebel T3i to try out this new feature. Thanks!

fredmiller
Established Member

I have a EOS M50 and the new webcam utility running on my mac version 10.15.7. connecting usb on the camera directly into a usb port on my iMac.

Initially, Skype and other software recognizes the camera and shows the image but it freezes quickly. I am then unable to use it as I want.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Fred

ajheyl
Not applicable

I have a canon D250 which I am to understand is the same cameral as the SL3.  I am using the software on MAC Mojave with no success.  Is this camer actually included in the software as n SL3?

dmnyc
Not applicable

Why isn't the t4i supported for the webcam utility?  t3i and t5i, but not the 4?

Any chance one of the downloads for those cameras will work with mine?

Thanks for any help,

David

yogastef
Contributor

Does anyone have a copy of the 0.9 version of the software they could email me please? stefanpod@gmail.com

I unfortunately deleted it during a reinstall of OSx and now I'm using the 1.0 webcam utility software this screen intermittently pops up when it didn't before

EOS WEBCAM UTILITY x ICON.png

not so professional looking while streaming, canon support hasn't complied with sharing that version of the software with onyl the new one available one the site, and help much appreciated..

Thanks team

Stef

Spade
Not applicable

I am trying to install webcam utility, i follow the steps but my files dont look like the files in th steps.. 

i find my camera m200 

I have HS op system on my mac which it automaticlly detects and i click on install WBU 

It goes into my downloadfolder ( often on top of other folders which is annoying) i click on it it goes through the steps to install

it ask permission and tells me the computer will need to restart when finished i say okay .. 

it claims to finish installing. 

It restarts my computer 

however when i go to my harddrive to open webcam utility its is just a folder 

when i open the folder it says uninstall EWCU 

there is nothing ??? 

what the hell is going on ? am i downloading the wrong file or what ?

mikeface
Not applicable

Just discovered that this utility works on Catalina in the non-chrome versions of the listed apps if SIP is disabled. Why can't they make this work with SIP enabled?