cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canonusa
Administrator
Administrator

EOS-WEBCAM-TT3.jpg

Have you had a chance to use our EOS Webcam Utility Windows software?

We’d love to know what you think of it! Once you’ve had some experience with it, share your feedback below to get tips and tricks from our support team.

*Verified comments posted below this article will be given a "kudos" from the official Canon U.S.A. account and added to our the tips & tricks list below.*

original_monitor-image_03.png

*Image depicts available livestream viewing options*

Canon Tips: Using EOS Webcam Utility Software

• If the EOS Webcam Utility Beta software is already installed on your computer, please uninstall*the Beta version, before you attempt to install the EOS Webcam Utility 1.1 software on your computer.
  • The camera can only operate with one application on your computer at a time. If the video conferencing or streaming application you are trying to use cannot receive the video feed from your camera, close all other applications on your computer that may be connected to the camera.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility 1.1 software with the EOS M50 camera, we suggest that the LCD screen be open and faced towards the user to achieve optimal performance.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility 1.1 software with Facebook messenger on the Firefox browser, EOS Webcam Utility will not be listed as a function on your device. We recommend that you use the desktop version of Facebook messenger or utilize a different browser.

• We cannot guarantee the compatibility of the EOS Webcam Utility 1.1 with all video conferencing and/or streaming applications on the market. If you experience any issues, we recommend using an alternative video conferencing or streaming application and/or browser.

• Currently, if the Windows desktop version of Microsoft Teams app (v. 1.3.00.30866) is utilized and EOS Webcam Utility is selected as the camera device, Microsoft Teams will not function. You may use the browser based version of Microsoft Teams through Google Chrome browser to utilize EOS Webcam Utility with Microsoft Teams.

FIND THE RIGHT WEBCAM STARTER KIT

products-v2.png

Whether connecting with colleagues, academic peers, or family and friends, find the right webcam starter kit that works for you.

button-shop-now.png

176 Comments
DotC00m
Not applicable

Hello,

As many Canon users, EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 and 1.1 is not working at all with my 77D (Windows 10 Pro).
But the beta version is working well ! 
I tried all but still unable to lunch EOS Webcam Utility 1.1 (display nothing at all, even the picture "EOS Webcam Utility" is not displayed).

just notice that 1.1 is not displayed on OBS Studio, but display on ZOOM & Teams. And beta release is displayed everywhere and working.

STRANGE ....

Regards,
Morgan

toohoo
Scout

Hello,

did you delete my question?
I searched for the possibility to use the Rebel XSi as Webcam. In the list of supported cams it is mising. Does this mean there is no possibility to use the Rebel XSi as webcam? Please help how I should do this.

Thanks in advance, Thomas

cj_barnhart
Established Member

EOS Webcam Utility fails when using an off-the-shelf 20 foot USB 3.0 cable extension. My original post sought advice whether I needed to purchase Canon's IFC-500U II Interface Cable in order to get some distance between my 5D Mark IV and tablet computer. I got no response so I went ahead and purchased the cable which, in fact, solved my problem. The cable is 15.4 feet which is 5 feet short of what I wanted. However, it is 3X the length of supplied cable.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello toohoo

We did not delete your question. I replied to your first post, and I am including that information here as well in case you see this post first.

At this time the EOS Rebel XSi is not a camera that the EOS Webcam Utility supports. We appreciate feedback on updates to our cameras and software customers would like to see. We have a team that documents and handles customer feedback. I have already alerted them to this email, but if you want to contact them directly in the future they can be reached by going to our website HERE and selecting Feedback in the top left corner of the site. We do take customer suggestions and feedback into consideration when we are updating our products and processes.

We are not notified to future software, firmware, or hardware updates prior to them being officially announced by Canon. If you would like to be notified about updates you can also set your email preferences in your Canon account to receive EOS News. If you want to see a full list of currently supported cameras that is available HERE.

Daniela Montenegro
Not applicable

I´ve just download de webcam utility for my canon m200 and it doesnt work. Do I have to set up something in the cameera?

apereira
Apprentice

Is the M5 going to be supported soon?

cburn18
Not applicable

Hi - is it possible to use the M50 as a webcam completely via WiFi?
I'm able to use the EOS Utiiity over WiFi. But I also connnect to the internet via WiFi.

Thanks.

LazyP
Not applicable

I have been trying for days to figure out how to get my Canon EOS 60D working but everytime I am getting the screen with the red triangle. I have closed all applications aside from the software I am using to use my camera, I have uninstalled and then reinstalled while restarting every time, I have even updated the firmware for my camera but with no success. I have seen videos of this camera working for them on Youtube but for some reason I cannot get this to work. Please can anyone help with this issue.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

LazyP.jpg

Greetings, LazyP

If you're seeing an icon of a white camera with a red triangle, then it means that the camera's LiveView function and video signal is being used by another appliction or software.

I understand you state you have closed all applications aside from the software you are going to use with the EOS 60D, but there may still be another application running in the background that may be communicating with the camera.

Please check to see if there is any cloud storage service that may be running that would connect to the camera to where it may consider it a storage device, like iCloud or Dropbox.

If you are still experiencing issues, please feel free to reach out to our phone support team for further assistance at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

mattfraser
Established Member

The Canon EOS Webcam utlity is not working with with my Canon M50 Mark II and Windows 10 Pro.  Here is what I am seeing.  https://www.screencast.com/t/fgC7lIyA would love to get this working. 

CoryW
Not applicable
Can you create firmware that enables clean hdmi on M50 camera so we can use as webcam using cam link at 1080p vs low res on your webcam utility please.
Black Bars on left right top and bottom in native webcam feed
Not applicable

I have a t5i that works great in webcam utility. The issue is that the feed always has a shadowbox black underscan on all sides at all times, no matter the settings. Aspect ration doesnt change the issue. I have seen many people say just crop it in obs but it makes real issues in apps like zoom with a background. Any help would be appreciated!

Adrian R
Not applicable

Hey guys, i seen several of you post a error 77 issue with using a canon 80d and the webcam utility. I also had the same exact issue and i think i figured out a work around. If you use apreture priority or shutter priority mode then the error wont happen but if you put the camera in manual mode, the error happens within 2 minutes. That's one work around but not ideal since you won't have full control of the camera settings. I noticed that the shutter speed in both apreture priority and shutter priority mode were locked to 100. I then changed my camera to manual mode and set the shutter to 100 and i no longer get the error 77 shut down issue. So if you want to have full control of the camera settings by using manual mode, you need to set your shutter to 100. Hopefully Canon will address this issue in the next update but at least you have a work around until then. Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Adrian

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Black Bars on left right top and bottom in native webcam feed.jpg

Greetings, Canon Customer

When the camera is set to "Still Photo" shooting mode, black side pillars may appear to the border around the video source image. We suggest that you set the camera to "Movie" recording mode. Note: Some selected cameras may still display black side pillars bordering around the video source image, even if set to "Movie" recording mode. In case the camera is already in the movie recording mode, and the black border is still present, then unfortuantely there would not be an option to remove the border or expand the image to take up the entire frame. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Marloalfonso
Not applicable

Hello!

I followed all the instructions above and my EOS Webcam Utility is still not detecting my camera. I am using Canon 60D. I don't see the EOS utility either on my app tray. 

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Marloalfonso,

There are a couple of things to try. The first is to restart your computer. The EOS Webcam Utility needs a computer restart in order to work. Make sure you are selecting the Restart option by left clicking on the Windows icon rather than using the power button on the computer.

Another thing to check would be to try a different USB cable. If the cable has degraded it can start to cause communication issues. When you try a different cable it would be good to try a different port on the computer as well. If you need a new USB cable the EOS 60D uses a Mini-B to Type-A USB cable.

One more thing to do is to make sure your camera is set to Movie mode. Sometimes if the camera is still in photography mode it can cause connection issues.

mdashner
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using a Windows10 Pro machine and getting the camera icon with triangle error message indicating another app is getting the video feed. I believe I've turned everything off, but do you have any advice on determining what is still hooking the feed?

I have been successful with the same 60D camera and USB cable on a Mac.

I've also tried the same 60D and cable on another Windows10 machine with the same results.

A Windows utility that would help figure out what app has captured the camera video would be helpful.

Regards,

Dash

sbrutsch
Not applicable

Hi,
i have a new Canon EOS M50 and i will use it also as a webcam.

Running Windows 10 Version 2004 and the Canon Webcam Utility 1.1. But it's not working with the Zoom App. If have the EOS Webcam Utility listet but i can't acitivate the view. Zoom told me that he could not access the Camera. No other utility is running.
If i use Zoom with Google Chrome it works. But for my Work i must use the App.

How could this be solved?

Best Regards,

Stefan

gunnar
Not applicable

lenovo x1

I can't use 5d webcam on lenovo x1 gen8 (have tried 2 computers), freezes frequently for 5-6 seconds.  Works fine on a recent Dell.  Help would  be  appreciated. Any thoughts?

AussieJazz
Scout

Hello

I need your help, please.

I have an EOS 700D/Rebel T5 and am trying to install the webcam utility on a Surface Pro. The installation fails at the last stage. I have tried (a) disabling Windows Defender (b) installing as an administrator. Installation log file is below. Help!

=== Logging started: 11/02/2021 13:44:57 ===
Action start 13:44:57: AI_DpiContentScale.
Action ended 13:44:57: AI_DpiContentScale. Return value 1.
Action start 13:44:57: LanguageDlg.
Action ended 13:45:02: LanguageDlg. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:02: AI_SET_INSTALL.
Action ended 13:45:02: AI_SET_INSTALL. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:02: AI_DETECT_MODERNWIN.
Action ended 13:45:02: AI_DETECT_MODERNWIN. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:02: AI_EnableDebugLog.
AI_EnableDebugLog: Log disabled
Action ended 13:45:02: AI_EnableDebugLog. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:02: AI_DpiContentScale.
Action ended 13:45:02: AI_DpiContentScale. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:02: AI_ResolveKnownFolders.
Action ended 13:45:03: AI_ResolveKnownFolders. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: PrepareDlg.
Action ended 13:45:03: PrepareDlg. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: AI_BACKUP_AI_SETUPEXEPATH.
Action ended 13:45:03: AI_BACKUP_AI_SETUPEXEPATH. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: AppSearch.
Action ended 13:45:03: AppSearch. Return value 0.
Action start 13:45:03: AI_RESTORE_AI_SETUPEXEPATH.
Action ended 13:45:03: AI_RESTORE_AI_SETUPEXEPATH. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: FindRelatedProducts.
Action ended 13:45:03: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: LaunchConditions.
Action ended 13:45:03: LaunchConditions. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: AI_RESTORE_LOCATION.
Action ended 13:45:03: AI_RESTORE_LOCATION. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: AI_SETPROGRAMFILES.
Action ended 13:45:03: AI_SETPROGRAMFILES. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: SET_APPDIR.
Action ended 13:45:03: SET_APPDIR. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: SET_SHORTCUTDIR.
Action ended 13:45:03: SET_SHORTCUTDIR. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: CostInitialize.
Action ended 13:45:03: CostInitialize. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: FileCost.
Action ended 13:45:03: FileCost. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: CostFinalize.
Action ended 13:45:03: CostFinalize. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:03: MigrateFeatureStates.
Action ended 13:45:03: MigrateFeatureStates. Return value 0.
Action start 13:45:03: WelcomeDlg.
Action ended 13:45:18: WelcomeDlg. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:18: FolderDlg.
Action ended 13:45:21: FolderDlg. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:21: InstallValidate.
Action ended 13:45:21: InstallValidate. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:21: VerifyReadyDlg.
Action ended 13:45:21: VerifyReadyDlg. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:21: ProgressDlg.
Action ended 13:45:21: ProgressDlg. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:26: FatalError.
Action ended 13:45:48: FatalError. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:48: AI_SHOW_LOG.
Action ended 13:45:48: AI_SHOW_LOG. Return value 1.
Action start 13:45:48: FatalError.
Action ended 13:45:48: FatalError. Return value 2.

madpaddler
Not applicable

I am using a Windows 10 desktop and used the EOS Webcam beta version with no problems with my EOS 6D mk II. 

I have followed he insructions for downloading and installing the full version 1.1 and can't get it to work.  I have spent the last three (3) day on this.  I contacted Canon Tech support and Joel and I spent over an hour without any results. 

This afternoon, I tried installing the new version 1.1 on my wife's laptop also with the sam results. 

Could the fact that I get the same results on both a PC & laptop running Windows10 indicate that there might be a setting in the camera that is causing this problem?

If the keeps up, I wont have any hair left.

PLEASE help!

Walter Macedo Fialho
Not applicable

Good morning, I have a Canon Power Shot SX530 HS, I installed the EOS for use with a webcam but it doesn't work, it recognizes but the image doesn't appear. there is also no EOS Webcam Utility Windows for this camera. how should I proceed?

Gerry OBrien
Not applicable

I have a Windows 10-64 workstation that I use with Adobe and Quark software. It's a high-end machine with 128 GB of RAM, SSD drives, and two external spinning drives.

I have a 5D Mark IV, but I've never installed the EOS Camera software on this computer, but still the Webcam Utility will not give me video in Zoom.

I was able to get video a few times with the Webcam Utility and the 5D IV on my ancient Surface Pro notebook -- which stopped after the most recent Windows 10 update in February.

I spent hours on the phone with a Canon tech last year. No luck.

This is a beautiful camera. It takes amazing photos. And I feel awful that I need to go out and spend hundreds more on a far less capable webcam. **bleep** shame.

Ju1ius
Contributor

Using the Webcam Utility with my Canon 5D mk4 on my Asus Notebook (Intel) works just fine, did with the Beta as well as with the release.

Differently on my AMD (R9 3900X, AMD RadeonPro, 1tb m.2 SSD) workstation, just a black screen in every app that is supposed to be supported ,Teams, Skype, Zoom, Discord...

Has anyone ever managed to run this on app and this camera on a AMD system?

Ju1ius
Contributor
Canon support really seems to care... not.
Really what my experience is since I’ve used canon for the last 20years professionally. (Not that any of the other brand would be any different)
Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Ju1ius,

I apologize that you did not receive a repsonse more quickly. The EOS Webcam Utility can run on AMD systems. There are a couple of things to try. The first is to restart your computer. The EOS Webcam Utility needs a computer restart to finalize the installation. Make sure you are selecting the Restart option by left clicking on the Windows icon rather than using the power button on the computer.

The other thing is to make sure your EOS Utility is fully closed before starting your webcam software. When the EOS Utility and the webcam utility are both on at the same time it prevents the webcam utility from detecting your camera. That is because when they're both open at the same time they both try to use the camera at the same time. When you close the EOS Utility check your system tray as well. Sometimes it can still be running in the background.

One more thing to do is to make sure your camera is set to Movie mode. Sometimes if the camera is still in photography mode it can cause connection issues. Along with that if the issue continues try unplugging the camera from the computer, turn it off, take out the memory card, close the card door, turn back on the camera and check to see if the same thing happens. Sometimes software on the computer detects the SD card on the camera and tries to access it as a drive. When that happens it would cause the same sort of conflict as the EOS Utility. Taking out the card is a good way to get around that and the EOS Webcam Utility doesn't need the card to be loaded so it won't cause an issue there.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Gerry O'Brien,

There are a copule of things to try in a case like this. If you can sometimes get a video feed with one computer and not another the main thing to try would be a different USB cable. Sometimes if the cable has degraded it can cause the signal to be inconsisten or preven thte camera and computer form fully communicating. If you need a new USB cable the EOS 5D Mark IV uses a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to Type-A USB cable. That is a standardized cable type that should be available in most electronics stores or on most online electronics retailers. If you would like a Canon branded cable it is available HERE.

For sales related questions, like purchasing and when items will be back in stock, you would need to contact our sales team. They can be reached by chat on our sales web page or by phone at 1-800-385-2155 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Saturday. Since email is not a secure form of communication we do not handle sales or payments through email.

One more thing to do is to make sure your camera is set to Movie mode. Sometimes if the camera is still in photography mode it can cause connection issues. Along with that if the issue continues try unplugging the camera from the computer, turn it off, take out the memory card, close the card door, turn back on the camera and check to see if the same thing happens. Sometimes software on the computer detects the SD card on the camera and tries to access it as a drive. When that happens it would cause the same sort of conflict as the EOS Utility. Taking out the card is a good way to get around that and the EOS Webcam Utility doesn't need the card to be loaded so it won't cause an issue there.

One last thing is that if it is a work computer you may want to contact your IT team to see if they have set any limitations on USB devices or software that can be used with the computer. Some offices will limit those functions on work computers for security reasons.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Walter Macedo Fialho,

At this time the PowerShot SX530 HS is not a camera that the EOS Webcam Utility supports. We appreciate feedback on updates to our cameras and software customers would like to see. We have a team that documents and handles customer feedback. I have already alerted them to this email, but if you want to contact them directly in the future they can be reached by going to our website HERE and selecting Feedback in the top left corner of the site. We do take customer suggestions and feedback into consideration when we are updating our products and processes.

We are not notified to future software, firmware, or hardware updates prior to them being officially announced by Canon. If you would like to be notified about updates you can also set your email preferences in your Canon account to receive EOS News. If you want to see a full list of currently supported cameras that is available HERE.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi madpaddler,

If the EOS Webcam Utility isn't working on multiple computers there is one setting on the camera to check. Sometimes if wifi is enabled on our cameras it disables the USB port. So when you connect the camera and computer it would be good to make sure the camera wifi s turned off. To check that press the menu button on the camera, go to the first yellow wrench tab and select Wireless Communication Settings. On the next page choose Wi-Fi Settings and set Wi-Fi to Disable. Once you've done that back out of the menu and check to see if the same thing is happening.

If the issue continues it would be good to try a different USB cable. Sometimes if the cable has degraded it can prevent the camera and computer from communicating with each other. If you ned a new cable the EOS 6D Mark II uses a Mini-B to Type-A USB cable. That is a standardized cable type that should be available in most electronics stores and on most online electronics retailers. If you would like a Canon branded cabe it is available HERE.

For sales related questions, like purchasing and when items will be back in stock, you would need to contact our sales team. They can be reached by chat on our sales web page or by phone at 1-800-385-2155 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Saturday. Since email is not a secure form of communication we do not handle sales or payments through email.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi AussieJazz,

If the installation still isn't completing it would be good to double check the page you downloaded it from. The software for the EOS Rebel T5 is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the gray Drivers and Downloads button and the current version is EOS Webcam Utility 1.1.

If the issue continues the next step would be to try installing the EOS Webcam Utility on a different computer. Sometimes operating system settings or security software can prevent the installation and the best way to test if that is the issue is to try installing the software on a different computer. If it installs correctly on a different computer that indicates settings with your operating system or security software were the cause. If that is the case we would recommend contacting the maker of your operating system and security software.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi gunnar,

If the freezing it only happening on the Lenovo computer it is most likely related to the operating system or security software. Typically if the camera is freezing the same thing should happen on every computer you try. We would recommend contacting the Microsoft of Lenovo to see if there are any settings that need to be changed in the operaitng system.

One other thing to try would be to try a different USB cable. If the cable has degraded it is possible for it to have a strong enough signal to communicate with one computer and not another. I don't see which 5D model you have. If you have the EOS 5D Mark IV it uses a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to Type-A cable and if you have one of the older models those use a Mini-B to Type-A USB cable. Those are standardized cable types that should be available in most electronics stores and on most online electronics retailers.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Stefan,

There are a couple of things to try. Since the EOS Webcam Utility works in Google Chrome that indicates the camera and USB cable are working correctly. If they weren't the EOS Webcam Utility wouldn't work with any conferencing software. The first is to restart your computer. The EOS Webcam Utility needs a computer restart to finalize the installation. Make sure you are selecting the Restart option by left clicking on the Windows icon rather than using the power button on the computer.

The other thing is to make sure your EOS Utility is fully closed before starting your webcam software. When the EOS Utility and the webcam utility are both on at the same time it prevents the webcam utility from detecting your camera. That is because when they're both open at the same time they both try to use the camera at the same time. When you close the EOS Utility check your system tray as well. Sometimes it can still be running in the background.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Dash,

Since the EOS Webcam Utility works on your Mac it indicates the camera and USB cable are working correctly. On the Windows computer the main thing would be to make sure the EOS Utility (for importing photos and remote shooting) is fully closed. If that is open it would cause a conflict and make it so that EOS Webcam Utility wouldn't recognize the camera.

Ju1ius
Contributor
@Hazel_T
Thanks for coming back to me, though these tips where a bit too basic and I tried them all over the last year... one thing I didn’t try, because it was just too counterintuitive, was to use a different cable then the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to Type-A cable the 5D mk4 came with or the orange tethertool Superspeed USB I own, BUT just a regular MICRO-B to Type-A cable. I’m yet to determine if that means any loss in resolution compared to the intended one, but at least now I can use the camera as a webcam, works with every app imaginable... so far.
Corp_mtg_guy
Apprentice
Surprised to see someone using Canon 5D mk IV as a webcam. Is it somehow able to exceed the 30 minute sensor limitation (overheats past 30 minutes so video is automatically stopped) that applies to video recording? What Canon EOS camera can go over 1hour as a webcam? Is there a list by model that gives max time?
Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Corp_mtg_guy,

Thanks for checking in with us.

Any of our cameras that are compatible with our EOS Webcam Utility, including the EOS 5D Mark IV, can livestream for longer than 30 minutes when using EOS Webcam Utility and a USB connection. The camera is not recording in that configuration, so the 30 minute limit does not apply.

To see all the cameras that are compatible with EOS Webcam Utility, you can visit the link below and scroll down to the SELECT YOUR COMPATIBLE EOS OR POWERSHOT MODEL heading:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/eoswebcamutility