cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing photos with Canon Connect app

greggp
Enthusiast

I'm using the Canon Connect app on my Android smartphone and it is paired with my EOS R5. 

Using the app, after picking 'Images on camera', can I choose where to import my images?  

I don't see any option for setting the location. After the import/upload is complete, and I pick the button 'Open photo app', my smartphone launches Google Photos but the imported photo isn't displayed.

After connecting my smartphone to my computer and putting it into file transfer mode, I can find the location of the imported photo. However, this is a hassle and something that I'll never do if I'm out in the field. One of the advantages of the app and it's import photos feature is to be able to share images immediately after they're shot. 

For this to work, I need to change the import location so the photo can be found by Google Photos or the Lightroom app, which I also have installed on my phone.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not sure how locked in your work flow is, but I would suggest a change.  Instead of going from the camera to a mobile device, and then to your computer.  Why don't you go from camera to computer, and THEN to your mobile device?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I am not sure how locked in your work flow is, but I would suggest a change.  Instead of going from the camera to a mobile device, and then to your computer.  Why don't you go from camera to computer, and THEN to your mobile device?

Makes sense and I already know how to do that. And that's exactly what I do 99.99% of the time.

I'm asking about the camera -> mobile connection when I don't have my computer. Like when I'm traveling and I don't want to lug it along. In the past, I'd wait until returning home from my trip and then I'd upload to my computer. I'll still probably do this but it would be nice to post a photo now and then before the end of the trip. The best option is to use my iPad, import the RAW, and edit in Lightroom.

Here's another scenario. I dabble in street photography. When I take a candid photo of a stranger on the street, I can usually sense when they are uncomfortable after noticing me. I will approach them and explain what I'm doing. Usually, I show them the photo and offer to delete it.  With the Canon Connect app, I can also offer to send it to them, via my smartphone. 

It would be nice if I could set the location of the photo when I import it from my camera to my smartphone.

Greetings,

Just sharing my set up.  its worth bringing multiple cards or a laptop with you when you travel.

I carry a yoga laptop, multiple cards and my Pixel when I'm on the road.  I transfer the days photos to the laptop every night.  Some of the photos get moved to my mobile for easy sharing "connect app",  This way I have 2 or more back ups of the entire trip.  When I get home I transfer everything from the cards to a NAS.  Virtually impossible to lose data like this.  I prefer my yoga to my macbook air since it has a built in card reader...  but I carry one of those too, so pretty much prepared for any situation. 

Like you I am also big on GPS.  My 6D2 has this.  I hope mirrorless will get there at some point.  I don't want another barnicle on a new body when the time comes. 

Its true that carrying this much equipment in addition to your camera gear can sometimes be a liitle much, for me though getting pics is almost as important as the experience.  1/3 of the time is spent looking through a lens.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I appreciate all of the advice. Or maybe not. You see, I already know how to upload to my laptop. I know how much equipment is practical when I travel on vacation with my family. I know how to use my 18 TB media server for storing my images. I know how to back these images up offline to multiple hard drives that are cycled weekly. 

I was simply asking if there was a way to designate the location of photos when they are imported to a mobile device.

is there?

@greggp wrote:

I was simply asking if there was a way to designate the location of photos when they are imported to a mobile device.

is there?

I've tried every version of this app since 2017 and it has never had this option and I doubt it ever will. I sideloaded it on my Kindle Fire 10 (2019 version) and to share images, I have to open my photos album and share from there. I've never used Google Photos, so I can't say if there might be a setting in that app to point it to where Canon Connect stores it's photos. On my Kindle, they go to a "photos" folder, which I never set it to do, it's just by default I guess. Also, when I select a photo, I get asked what app I want to open the file with. I know this is just a feature of the Amazon Android version, but still, it's a nice feature. It does seem to be more robust than the version of Android that is on our phones, which I would expect. I also use the ES File Explorer app, which allows me to browse my Android devices, similar to Windose file explorer, and it has a LAN feature that allows me to connect to all of the computers "shared" drives and foldrs on my home network, which allows for easy transfer (WiFi) to and from devices.

I know this doesn't help resolve your delima, but be assured, you aren't the only one that has complained about it to Canon and here on this forum. In fact, someone with a Canon logo beside their name said "No, you can't do that" on this forum. Do a search here or on Google, and you will see these questions and responses.

On a side note, there is reportedly a "paid" app that will do the job. It is called "Camera connect & control" and is available at Google Play and the Apple store. It is purported to be compatable with most cameras. Look at the reviews on Google Play.

I hope this helps, and I feel your pain 🙂

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

After working with this for a while, here's what I've found.

With my iPad running Camera Connect, picking 'Open photo app' launches Apple Photos. I have no control over the location but I can find the files with Apple Photos in an album named 'Canon EOS R5'. If the RAW image save option is set to RAW, the RAW file will display as a gray box in Apple Photos because it doesn't work with RAW. If I run Lightroom on my iPad, it finds the 'Canon EOS R5' album/folder and displays properly because Lightroom can work with these RAW files. 

With my Android smartphone running Camera Connect, picking 'Open photo app' launches Google Photos. When this is done, I don't see my uploaded images. And, I don't have the choice to pick RAW, it only works with JPGs. When I run Lightroom on my Android phone, I can pick the + button to add images to my library and it will find these recently uploaded images. Also, I can use the 'Files' app on my smartphone to navigate and find the 'Canon EOS R5' folder. The Canon Connect app put this folder in my phone's internal storage. I can move the contents wherever I want. In my case, I just move them to a folder with the same name on my phone's much larger SD card. Lightroom will find that folder there.

So for quick image sharing, my smartphone will work just fine. If I'm traveling and I want to spend a bit more time with post-processing, then I'm going to use my iPad because it works with the RAW files.

I'm so used to just uploading my RAW files from my camera to my laptop computer. Lightroom CC imports them to an external drive, which is connected to my Thunderbolt port. These are organized by date \YEAR\MONTH. If I've already imported the RAW file to Lightroom on my iPad, I won't need to upload it from my camera to my laptop. I just need to sync. However, I still want the RAW file stored on my external HD because it is the source from which I backup to with the routines I have created in Acronis backup software. So I'll need to figure out how to deal with this.

@greggp wrote:

After working with this for a while, here's what I've found.

With my iPad running Camera Connect, picking 'Open photo app' launches Apple Photos. I have no control over the location but I can find the files with Apple Photos in an album named 'Canon EOS R5'. If the RAW image save option is set to RAW, the RAW file will display as a gray box in Apple Photos because it doesn't work with RAW. If I run Lightroom on my iPad, it finds the 'Canon EOS R5' album/folder and displays properly because Lightroom can work with these RAW files. 

Where is the option to save RAW?  Do you mean in the camera?  

A6C1F6BC-A10E-4671-9858-36A1DEF5BBE5.jpeg

For me, it still transfers a JPG.  There isn't an option in Camera Connect.

@greggp wrote:

is there?

I believe that this is actually controlled by the OS.  For example, Apples Photos could not access local data, which can be accessed with Fiels.  It could also the reason why only JPGs are transferred, not RAW files.  Photos cannot open them.

Announcements