cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoombrowser EX

chzuck
Contributor

I so wish this program would not have all the extra junk!  All I want it for is to view my photos and EXIF data.  Is there a preferance page where I can remove or turn off the things I don't want?  I have a Rebel XT and Canon has abondoned me on using their software to download photos from my camnera with EOS Utility. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Chzuck,

Thanks for your reply regarding ZoomBrowser EX.

ZoomBrowser EX isn't compatible (at least reliably compatible) with Windows 10.

Is ZoomBrowser EX the only Canon software that you have or do you have the Digital Photo Professional (DPP) installed, too? (DPP is the best software that Canon provides for viewing EXIF data and AF points.)

If you don't have DPP installed, do you still have the original CD ROM that was included with your camera?

• With regard to the other Canon software that you'd like to remove, besides your EOS Rebel XT, do you have any other Canon cameras, printers or other Canon products that plug into your computer?
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Chzuck,

Thanks for posting.

Which operating system do you have on your computer?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Windows 10 Pro.

Hi Chzuck,

Thanks for your reply.

To connect your EOS Rebel XT to your Windows 10computer, you'll need to change the communication mode. To prepare your camera, please do the following:

With the camera disconnected from the computer, turn the camera on. Press the "Menu" button. Now select the [Wrench, Hammer, 2] tab. Scroll down to "Communication" and press the "Set" button. Select the [Print/PTP] and press "Set". This process is more completely described (and illustrated too!) on page 121 of your Digital Rebel XT Instruction Manual.

Now connect your camera to your computer and turn the camera on. Your computer should now recognize and have access to your Digital Rebel XT.

The EOS Rebel XT cannot communicate with Canon software when operating in this communication mode. Because of this, we recommend the use of the Windows Photos App.

This process works on Windows 10 computers most of the time, but because of differences in computer systems, it cannot be guaranteed. If your computer still can't detect your camera, I recommend the use of a CompactFlash card reader to transfer your images.

I think you got off track of my initial question.  By the way, the method you mentioned to download photos is extremely slow.  I use the import feature in Windows 10 by right clicking on the camera in My Computer.  It is much faster and far more convenient.  This feature does what I used to be able to do with the Canon software.

My original issue is with ZoomBrowser.  When I installed only the Zoombrowser software I end up with many other things I don't want cluttering up my PC.  What I want to know is how can I remove/disable the extra fluff.  The only thing I plan on using ZoomBrowser for is to look at the EXIF data.  Some other programs I have tried do not interpret the metering modes as well or the focus points.

Hi Chzuck,

Thanks for your reply regarding ZoomBrowser EX.

ZoomBrowser EX isn't compatible (at least reliably compatible) with Windows 10.

Is ZoomBrowser EX the only Canon software that you have or do you have the Digital Photo Professional (DPP) installed, too? (DPP is the best software that Canon provides for viewing EXIF data and AF points.)

If you don't have DPP installed, do you still have the original CD ROM that was included with your camera?

• With regard to the other Canon software that you'd like to remove, besides your EOS Rebel XT, do you have any other Canon cameras, printers or other Canon products that plug into your computer?

Do not have DPP installed, but will take a look.  I have the CDs that came with the camera and I have a Canon Power Shot ELPH135 and use Camera Window to download those photos. They are the only Canon products I have.

I installed DPP from my CDs and then updated.  Took a look at a couple of the upgrades and settled on 3.15.  For me verson 4.6.10 was too much and confusing.  For what I want 3.15.0 looks like the one for me. 

I had never bother with it because I thought it was only for those shooting in RAW.  Thanks for your recommendation.

@chzuck wrote:

I installed DPP from my CDs and then updated.  Took a look at a couple of the upgrades and settled on 3.15.  For me verson 4.6.10 was too much and confusing.  For what I want 3.15.0 looks like the one for me. 

I had never bother with it because I thought it was only for those shooting in RAW.  Thanks for your recommendation.

If you're shooting JPEGs, I have to suggest that you're making a mistake by choosing DPP 3 over DPP 4. Neither handles JPEGs as well as they handle RAW (an inevitable consequence of RAW's greater versatility), but IMO DPP 4 handles JPEGs much better than DPP 3 does. Yes, DPP 4 is more complex and harder to learn, with a more confusing user interface. But sometimes you get better results if you're willing to invest more effort. I think this is one of those times.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you for that recommendation. I may need to take another look at that one. Perhaps I will install that on my laptop and work with it.
Announcements