cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What software do you use to download photos of CF Card?

LiamMason
Apprentice

Hey folks!

After being in storage for about 10 months I broke out my 7D, fully recharged the batteries and can't wait to catch up on some photography (except weather in Sydney weather right now is pretty wet and we're under a bit of a suggested stay at home advice, not quite a lockdown).

During those months I converted from a Windows laptop to a MacBook. I've hunted down the Canon EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional and installed.

Question for the community out there - is there a better software option for 7D/Macbook combo for getting photos off the CF card and for converting RAW to JPEG?

Be gentle, I'm a n00b here.

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Just use the EOS Utility and DPP.

Images can also be transferred using a card reader.  No special software is needed, the camera's media is seen as a mass storage device (disk).  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Question for the community out there - is there a better software option for 7D/Macbook combo for getting photos off the CF card and for converting RAW to JPEG?"

The best there is and the industry standard world wide is Lightroom and Photoshop.  You may find LR is all you need but if it isn't PS will do anything that can be done to a photo.

IMHO, the 7D is a great camera however, I am not a fan of the Macbook.  I would have preferred you stick with a Windows machine. Apple's OS cause way too many issues but whatever, check out LR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Just use the EOS Utility and DPP."

This also a viable solution.  Just keep in mind, if you need more post editing DPP4 will fall short. EOSU offers no editing feature.  But, best of all, Canon gives it to you for free!

EB

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For a newbie I suggest image capture and Photos. There is no need to use the Canon software, and Photos is a decent organizer.

I second the use of Apple's Photos.  It's included on all Macs and a great piece of software to get started.

As your needs progress, do check out Adobe Lightroom.  Photoshop only if you need to do complex image editing beyond what Lightroom would be capable of.

All will run a-ok on your Macbook.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

"Photoshop only if you need to do complex image editing beyond what Lightroom would be capable of."

PS includes Bridge which can do everything that LR can do with the advantage of PS in the background. No need for having  both or two programs if you don't want to.

EB
Announcements