cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Utility producing 4:3 vs. 16:9 aspect ratio

sfgopher
Contributor

I have a Rebel T5i. I've installed the latest version of the webcam utility. I have a MAC. I've tried both Zoom and Google Meet and the results are the same. My video is displayed in 4:3 aspect ration vs. wide screen 19:6. On the sides of the video are 2 black bars. Any help in fixing this is greatly appreciated. 

I've followed the getting started guide and have my camera's movie recording size set to 1920 x 1080 (30 fps).

webcam image wide is off.png

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
You guys are talking about older cameras, which were designed prior to the standard TV broadcast signal switched from analog NTSC to digital Full HD.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My T5i was purchased in 2014, 18 years after the first HD broadcast. Also, it has an HDMI output, why add a black frame? Lastly, it records in 16:9, why not stream over USB in 16:9? Anyway, you are definitely correct that these are older cameras and because of that I don't have hope that Canon will return and fix the firmware. So, I've abandoned the Canon webcam approach.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
sfgopher

I am talking about over the air TV broadcasts. You need updated cameras that can output “Clean HDMI”
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sean003
Apprentice

Is there a resolution to this? I am encounting the same "Black bars" problem with my T3i using webcam utility.  I was very excited when I fifrst heard about the utility.  Sadly, if I cannot get rid of the black bars, the utility is completely useless to me.  Any help?

sfgopher
Contributor
As far as I’ve been able to see there is no resolution. I gave up and went back to the MacBook built in camera.

Nylou88
Apprentice

Hi sfgopher,

I was able to solve the issue by setting my camera's video recording setting to 720p instead of 1080p (exact setting: 1280x720, fps). It was the only way I was able to get rid of the black bars on the left and right side. Hope this helps.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements