cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING Webcam Utility DOES NOT WORK with Mac M1 running Big Sur versions past 11.0

reeceguida
Apprentice

I want to save others the trouble: Webcam Utility will ONLY work for Mac M1 (AKA the 2020 models that don't have the Intel Chips) running Big Sur 11.0. Stop searching for a fix because there isn't one.

Canon: is adding support for this on your Webcam Utility roadmap? Can you PLEASE post a fix to your software? My only option is to revert back to Big Sur 11.0, and I can't do that because I don't have a backup.

I was so excited to use this beautiful camera for work/streaming and now I feel like I just put money in a paper shredder. I will glady return it for another if there's no promise of a fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CNSPRAYB
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I checked reddit to see if others had this problem.  The suggestion I received was to download the version of zoom designed for intel macs.  When I did this the new zoom program instantly recognized EOS Webcam Utility.  I don't know what program you were trying to use your camera for, but this fixed my issue.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

CNSPRAYB
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I checked reddit to see if others had this problem.  The suggestion I received was to download the version of zoom designed for intel macs.  When I did this the new zoom program instantly recognized EOS Webcam Utility.  I don't know what program you were trying to use your camera for, but this fixed my issue.  Good luck!

@CNSPRAYB, that works to get to the latest version (which is better that being stuck on the version before M1 macs came out) but then it automatically starts asking to update to the M1 version.  So, the only way to update is to reinstall the latest intel versoin if we wat to keep using the EOS Utility.  Again, better than nothing but still far from ideal.  

I appreciate that you took the time to find, and post, a work around. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CANON, WHY ARE YOU MAKING USERS IN FORUMS DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU??? This is embarrassing. You need to make  your software a priority. You sell $5000 cameras. Get your act together, bro.

Problem is on MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 the EOS Webcam Utility doesn't even show up after installation. The installation process creates a folder with only the uninstaller in it.

THANK YOU, after spending a good chunk of a work day and trying to debug the connection/streaming issue, this did the trick. 

eitanyb
Apprentice

It does! you just need to use it through OBS.

tokris
Contributor
Canon’s software development team should be fired, that is if they even have one.

kondratk
Apprentice

Almost one year later we have still to struggle with EOS Webcam utility, which Canon cannot fix, while other companies are actually making business on it. Is it so impossible to fix it? I dont think so.

Shame on you Canon!

Radykall1
Apprentice

No update on this yet?

yurko
Apprentice

I will have to sell Canon camera and buy Sony. There is no easy way no to find a browser that runs on rozetta. Can't use google meet meetings.

Zoom asks to update every time, no other apps supported on M1. 30-minute limit over hdmi, video delay over USB. 

Announcements