cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP RAW Burst Mode extraction error

jwDr26
Apprentice

Hi, I use RAW Burst Mode for the bird in flying. When extracting individual using DPP to save the file, It often corrupts the DPP. I cannot restart the DPP and shows a error code and "instruction error of memory". Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

A few questions: How big are your film rolls, typically? What type of computer and operating system and any other info you care to share, like RAM, HDD vs SSD, etc.? I ask because it sounds like a memory issue.

I use this feature quite a bit on our R6 mark II and have no problems extracting Raw files from the rolls in DPP 4 on my Windows 10 pro laptop. I usually keep my bursts short, like 1 or 2 seconds, and that is still 30-40 shots, including pre-burst, and makes for a 400-500mb file.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Hi,

Thank you very much for you response. My desktop is a MSI gaming machine with Windows 11 Home, 12th Gen Intel Corn i7-12700F, 32.0 GB RAM, 1.0 TB SSD and 2.0 HD.
I usually shoot around 100 shots and makes for a 1-2GB file.

Best,

@jwDr26 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you very much for you response. My desktop is a MSI gaming machine with Windows 11 Home, 12th Gen Intel Corn i7-12700F, 32.0 GB RAM, 1.0 TB SSD and 2.0 HD.
I usually shoot around 100 shots and makes for a 1-2GB file.

Best,

Thanks for getting back with us. Sounds like you have plenty of computing power.

Have you tried increasing the amount of memory available in DPP (Tools/Preferences/General settings). Also, as a test, reduce your burst size. 1-2GB is a big file and DPP can be quirky. As mentioned, my files are typically under 500MB and I have no problems, so see if you can replicate that with a smaller roll file. I know, that's not how you shoot, but we can see if it's size related.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I increased the amount of memory in DPP but no help. Thanks.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

If I understand correctly from what you wrote, you have no issue transferring the files to DPP or starting DPP once transferred with the problem only occurring when you are converting RAW to JPG within DPP.  Did I interpret that correctly?

DPP doesn't really care how the photos were acquired whether burst or a big folder of single shots.  I shoot sports using three 1DX bodies at an event and although I leave the bodies in high speed drive mode the image files are a combination of bursts and single to three shot.  The last basketball event I shot was senior night with both boys and girls games and the DPP folder is 67.6 GB in size and it had no problem with it.

One thing you might try is use batch mode to process the selected images as a group instead of one by one processing in DPP and see if that helps.  My work process is to view, edit, and mark selected images with a check mark 1.  When through editing that gallery, I select all check mark 1 images and batch process them to JPG and let that run in the background during which point I can work in a different gallery.  This allows for a much faster work process and MAY avoid the issue you are running into; I have never run into a problem doing individual saves while editing but it really slows the workflow for me.

I am using a HP Z840 workstation with twin Intel Xeon processors with 256 GB per processor and twin Nvidia workstation graphics boards so it is a "high horsepower" computer but I have also used a much less capable HP Z series laptop with a single I7 CPU and 32 GB of memory with large folders in DPP and it works just not as quickly or conveniently.

And when DPP fails with an abnormal exit, be sure to go into task manager and kill any DPP process left running.  Even in normal operation, DPP slowly builds its size in memory and becomes sluggish.  Although it never takes more than a very few percent of available RAM on my workstation, after an hour or so of processing the main DPP program is using several GB of memory and slows down so I habitually exit and restart DPP about once an hour.  This memory leak has been part of almost every DPP update I have used in nearly 20 years of using Canon 1 series gear with DPP.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hello, Rodger!

I'm pretty sure the OP is having problems extracting individual shots from a camera roll file. I'm not that familiar with the 1DX series, so not sure they will record Raw burst in rolls. So, sorry if I'm telling you something you already know 🙂 If you enable the feature in camera, the burst is combined into a single roll and comes into DPP as one file and you have to open the Raw burst image tool to extract and edit individual Raw files within the roll. There is no conversion option, only Raw extraction and if you try a Batch operation, only the first image in the roll will be converted.

Newton

Thanks Newton, Sounds like an interesting feature that maybe creates problems 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Roger, it's indeed interesting and makes for easy culling when you just need a few of the shots. I haven't had any problems with it and am at a loss as to why the OP is.

My wife and I both shoot bursts as a routine, not just for action. Usually, after two or three in the burst, the shot we want will be there. We both are unsteady and it usually takes a few frames for our "shake's" to settle down, even with proper holding technique. We can scroll through the file, extract the one or two we want, then dispose of the roll. Burst in general really helps us overcome our physical issues but I can see it helping anyone to get sharper images. Another feature of the film roll burst, at least on the R6 mark II, is pre-burst (when enabled). Man, do I like that! A half press takes 0.5 seconds of burst, which is about 8-11 shots depending on your exposure. How many times has your subject left in the middle of catching focus? Yes, the first few frames are soft, but the AF of these newer R's is nothing short of amazing and catches up by frame 3. Unfortunately, film roll isn't a feature (yet) of my R5, so I just have to edit and delete the regular way... Awwwww, poor me 🙂

Newton

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you running the latest version of DPP4?  Are you copying the files from the camera to your local storage?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements