cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R10 and Webcam Utility on Windows 11

jleonard99
Contributor

Just purchased a Canon R10 for primary use as a webcam. Has anyone got the webcam software to work with the R10 on Windows 11? The Eos Utility software works fine, and I can record directly on my PC using this software.  When I try using the device as a webcam by selecting the Eos Webcam in my recording software, the R10 display flashes on-and-off (I see the picture then an icon and back), and eventually my recording software (Camtasia Recorded 2022) give a "Failed to Add Video Sampler" error.  I realize I'm out on the edge, the Eos WebCam utility is not listed in the "Software and Drivers" section of the Canon site for the R10 like it is for other cameras. I hijacked the webcam utility from another camera's list, so I expect to hear from you all that it doesn't run.  I searched the web and tried several different tips (e.g., close all instances of Eos Utility; try different cable; open back LCD panel, remove cap; etc.) but nothing worked.

Is Canon working on a fix? I purchased the R10 for use as a webcam. Prior to my purchase I saw no evidence that it would not work as a webcam.  Because I have a bunch of older EF-S lenses (my first Canon was a 20D) I thought that I'd stick with my way old investment. However, I'm not afraid to return the R10 and get something from another vendor if it will work as a webcam without this much pain. I'd much prefer to give my money to Canon!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jleonard99 wrote:

Just purchased a Canon R10 for primary use as a webcam. Has anyone got the webcam software to work with the R10 on Windows 11? The Eos Utility software works fine, and I can record directly on my PC using this software.  When I try using the device as a webcam by selecting the Eos Webcam in my recording software, the R10 display flashes on-and-off (I see the picture then an icon and back), and eventually my recording software (Camtasia Recorded 2022) give a "Failed to Add Video Sampler" error.  I realize I'm out on the edge, the Eos WebCam utility is not listed in the "Software and Drivers" section of the Canon site for the R10 like it is for other cameras. I hijacked the webcam utility from another camera's list, so I expect to hear from you all that it doesn't run.  I searched the web and tried several different tips (e.g., close all instances of Eos Utility; try different cable; open back LCD panel, remove cap; etc.) but nothing worked.

Is Canon working on a fix? I purchased the R10 for use as a webcam. Prior to my purchase I saw no evidence that it would not work as a webcam.  Because I have a bunch of older EF-S lenses (my first Canon was a 20D) I thought that I'd stick with my way old investment. However, I'm not afraid to return the R10 and get something from another vendor if it will work as a webcam without this much pain. I'd much prefer to give my money to Canon!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

How were able to use the regular EOS Utility to “record” something?  What type of cable did you use to record something, which I assume to mean record in an external device.

What directions are you following on how to use the EOS Webcam Utility?  What type of cable are you using?  Have you closed the regular EOS Utility and shut down the EOS Utility Launcher service?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply Waddizzle! The EOS Utility v.3 software provides a "remote shooting" feature that records video directly to the PC from a R10 connected via USB cable. This feature works great. Once I had this feature working, I installed the EOS Webcam Utility and tried recording using  the EXACT SAME cabling setup (R10 connected to PC via USB). Yes, I shut down both the EOS Utility and EOS Utility Launcher applications prior to trying the EOS Webcam. Still, the setup does not work. It seems to be a Canon thing - the LCD panel on the R10 flashes unexpectedly on and off when the Webcam software is active. Not good.

Why not use the EOS Utility v.3 software all the time? Most webcasting software permits recording of both the screen and the camera at the same time. The EOS Utility only permit recording of the camera. I'm looking for a camera that provides a driver that permits the camera to be recognized by other video+screen recording software.

Seems I made the naive mistake by assuming that a newer Canon camera would be compatible with older, well tested webcam software. I guess the R10 is too new and leapfrogged the webcam software.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi jleonard99,

The EOS R10 is not listed as a compatible camera for the EOS Webcam Utility so it is unlikely that will work. For the EOS R10 we would recommend using an HDMI cable to connect it to a capture card and then use capture software on your computer to output the video feed to your conferencing or streaming service. We do not make capture cards or capture software through Canon so there aren't specific ones we can recommend.

@Hazel_T - I'm willing to investigate using an HDMI cable and capture card as you recommend. However, when I visit the Canon web site (https://www.usa.canon.com/cameras/eos-webcam-utility) and scroll down to the Clean HDMI section, my R10 is NOT listed as a camera compatible with the Clean HDMI utility. Are you sure that this is a viable option? I'm already into this for $1000 for the R10 (plus lens). I'm concerned that I'm about to go deeper into the hole without a working solution. Does the R10 output clean HDMI (that is, an HDMI signal without all the camera info) without the need for the Clean HDMI software?

jleonard99
Contributor

Thanks @Hazel_T!  Yes, I saw that after I purchased the R10 that it didn't have a working webcam utility. Would you know if Canon is working on fixes? Seems crazy that the EOS Utility v.3 software detects and records from the R10 when connected to a desktop through a USB cable, but the exact same physical setup does not work with the EOS Webcam utility. Sounds like a simple software fix to me. Oh well...

stolleson
Apprentice

I too have been trying to use the camera as a webcam. I thought it would work and thinking about returning mine too. I bought mine a few days ago. Wonder if others have the same problem. How many signatures / posts do we need to get some software that works for use as a webcam? 

I have the same issue. I upgraded from a Canon 650D and now I'm regretting it. The old camera could stream to OBS.

It seems clear that it can send video, as there's a live preview in the utility.

Tempted to do a credit card chargeback as returns department not answering.

tbar23
Contributor

Same sentiment, but for the R7.

@Hazel_T provided the solution - expensive - but it works great. I purchased a HDMI-to-USB converter, for example (https://www.elgato.com/en/cam-link-4k). This device converts the HDMI output from the R10 into an USB input, and Windows picks it right up as a new "camera".  You'll want to uninstall the Canon webcam software (if you installed it). You'll also want to dig into the Canon menus on the camera and turn on "Clean HDMI" output, that is, remove all the info from your HDMI signal. The resolution is great, and as I understand it, much better than the resolution of the standard Canon Webcam software.  I plugged my external MIC directly into the camera, and the sound is passed cleanly through the HDMI-USB converter and into the PC all pretty and synced up nice. I wish I'd know this when purchasing the camera, I was disappointed that it didn't work as a webcam out of the box. BUT I'm quite happy now, the picture is clean and the HDMI-USB converter works really well for other potential camera - I purchased one for an old phone (which now works as another input) and my iPad (which lets me screen capture and draw, then feed into PC as another video input.)  I also discovered the "Open Broadcast Studio" https://obsproject.com/, a cool piece of software that permits multiple video inputs and lets you layer them on top of each other.  It's set up for streamers,and works great with the Canon R10 and the HDMI-USB adapter. ALL HOPE IS NOT LOST!  (thanks @HAZEL_T)

Announcements