cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old rebel XS lens can't focus.

harvey936
Apprentice

I've messed with the setting had made sure it's set to autofocus and it still won't focus at all. I can't even get it to manually focus. Is there something else in the settings stopping it or should I get a new lens?

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens are you talking about? All the characters are significant.

If you tried focusing manually while in autofocus, you might have "dislocated" it and have to pop it back in place.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

To expand on KVB's post.  The issue may not be the camera but  the lens.  Older EF-S lenses cannot be manually focused if the switch is set to AF.  Attempting to do so causes the zooming mechanism to be dislocated, resulting in the lens not focusing.
So, please do advise if this is impacting a single lens or more than one, and what lens(es) they are.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Are you talking about the kit lens or do all lenses not AF. Most versions of the EF-S 18-55mm kit lenses can't be manually focused when set to AF. Unless the lens name description says "STM".

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is the trick. Do this gently.

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements