cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

SteveStone
Contributor

This fixed my issue with EOS Utility not working over USB cable to my R7, I'm running an intel based iMac so it may not work for an M* based mac

https://canon.jp/support/software/os/select/dc/EU-Installset-M31613dmg

I downloaded EOSU 13.16.1.3 from Canon USA support site. File date is 11/8/22. Need to select macOS 12 since Canon has only posted firmware update apps on the macOS 13 page as of this morning.

It works for MacBook Air w/M2 processor.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I just downloaded EOS Utility 3 Version 3.16.1.3 from the Canon USA site. The camera is directly connected to a USB/ThunderBolt 3 port using the Canon supplied USB-C to USB-C cable. At first, the camera was unable to connect to my Mac mini (2018) running Ventura 13.0.1. I then launched Apple's Image Capture tool which worked (for downloading images).

I then quit Image Capture and re-launced EOS Utility 3 and, lo and behold, the camera connected normally. I don't know if this workaround will help others experiencing problems but I thought that I would pass it along.

- Pie Lover

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 8.15.09 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-11-23 at 8.15.22 AM.png

Have you been able to do this with Wifi?

I am able to do this with USB cable directly attached, but not with Wifi.

I set the EOS Utility Launcher as an Open at Login item. At least for the time being, everything seems to be working as expected.

- Pie Lover

IScreenshot 2022-11-24 at 1.51.46 PM.png

can you send screenshot of after you have connected it to wifi (I got that done alsoe) but then the next thing is the EOS Utility. It shows a number of items which I can not click on.

eg. the image that you show in your post ‎on 11-23-2022 08:22 AM with Download images to computer and so on which you created with the USB cable, does it show the same way with WIFI and no USB cable

The used the Wifi setup menu in the camera and then connected the computer to the camera's Wireless Access Point (see below).

The EOS Utility 3 menu looks the same as with the USB cable connection.

- Pie Lover

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 2.05.05 PM.png

Not sure why the items are greyed out for me ... I looked at the permissions and they seem all to be correct. Well, I will go for my $44 firetablet setup instead 😞

Thanks for all your efforts!!!!

dawner008
Apprentice

I don't know much - first time trying to connect canon eos m50 to my mac air 2020. I have 1.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i3 and just updated to Ventura 13.0.1

I am unable to access any software to use canon as a webcam on the utility options. Is there currently another option that I can select that would work, if connected with a USB to simply use this as a webcam for recording an online course? For now? Thank you. Please speak beginner friendly language 🙂

While I haven't tested my Canon (R5) camera on Ventura using Canon's webcam software, I can suggest another option that works very well. It requires a recent iPhone model (I use an iPhone XS Max). See Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac.

Announcements