cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to shoot in RAW but am afraid of the post processing.

PhotosbyMJ
Contributor

What program should I use to process my RAW images? I'd prefer to use either the software that came with my camera, or a program I can download off the internet that's free. What works best that doesn't cost a fortune AND is easy to use given that I'm not that computer savvy?

Canon EOS 60D, 1100D
Canon EF 28mm f2.8, Sigma 30 f1.8 ART DC, Canon 'Nifty' 50 f1.8, Canon EF 85 f1.8 USM
Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS USM, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC OS USM
Yongnuo YN 568EX II flashes with 622C Tranceivers
5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
The DPP that comes with the camera is said by some to make slightly better RAW conversions than 3rd party programs like Lightroom. It does not have quite the functionality of Lightroom though.

I don't know about the free ones, but some are web based so you may be slowed by the Internet connection. But free is free.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You don't need to be computer savvy these days to use modern software. However, some software interfaces are more user friendly than others.

Canon DPP, which came free with your camera, is a pretty good program to start with. It's not the most powerful, but if you are just starting out it is a good start. You can download the latest version from the Anon support website.

Look here: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/dpp_tutorials.shtml

Adobe Lightroom is generally accepted as the top post processing program. You can download it for free for a 30 day trial.

Adobe offers a Photographer's Plan where you can rent Lightroom and Photoshop for $10 a month.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Way better, IMHO of course, is Photoshop Elements.  It is not free but you can find deals on it but if not it really isn't too expensive.  For the amateur or advanced amateur it is far better than DPP (free included software) and even Lightroom.

Lightroom is designed more for a person that takes 1000's and 10,000's of photos.  It has limited editing featuers.

PSE is also more user friendly that full blown Photoshop.  Which you can not purchase any longer as it must be rented from Abode on a monthly basis.

There is the free Gimpshop but it is the least user friendly of the bunch and has a steep learning curve.  But it is free.

Lightzone is a free copy-cat version of Lightroom.

But when you are ready for the best photo editing and RAW conversion software there is, there is nothing at the top except Photoshop.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hsbn
Whiz
You can use PICASA from Google. It's a great program, easy to use, tons of beginner features.
http://picasa.google.com/

You can also try Lightzone. It's FREE and easy to learn with a great online community where you can learn.
http://www.lightzoneproject.org/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@PhotosbyMJ wrote:

What program should I use to process my RAW images? I'd prefer to use either the software that came with my camera, or a program I can download off the internet that's free. What works best that doesn't cost a fortune AND is easy to use given that I'm not that computer savvy?

Digital Photo Professional, which I believe comes free with the 60D, meets almost all of my needs. Unaccountably, it doesn't include redeye correction, so I use Irfanview for that.

Version 4 of DPP includes some additional features not found in Version 3. But for reasons Canon has not revealed, it works only on files generated by a full-frame camera. (It's also a bit buggy, and its user interface is a daunting jumble. It's a potentially valuable upgrade, but not quite ready for prime time.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements