cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting ready to buy a laptop to take with me on my photo trips.

Antonrides
Contributor

I'm getting ready to buy a laptop to take with me on my photo trips. Right now I just have a desktop with Corel6X pro. I mainly do landscape and wildlife photography. I'm also thinking about going to Adobe photoshop. Any suggestions on laptops and what software I should include. Thank You

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

What's your budget?  PC or Mac? 

If you're asking, then I'm going to assume you're not a heavy computer user, so you probably don't need a really strong processor.  That allows you to save money and/or reduce laptop size.  I would stay away from the paper thin (e.g. Macbook Air) options, they're just not strong enough for my liking, but I'm a "power user" for lack of better term.

There are just too many options to recommend something without knowing more.  Tablets are getting strong enough now to run basic editors (Lightroom can run on an Ipad).  Microsoft has their Surface Pro 3 out, which is supposed to be able to run Photoshop.

I guess first you need to decide what programs you want to run.  Photoshop is fantastic, but it's probably the most unused program on the market.  Everybody gets it because "it's the best", but doesn't learn how to use it.  I would start with Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop Elements.  It's more than enough to download your photos, do some basic developing, post them onto the web, etc.  Just about any laptop can do this.

Thanks and yes I'm going with a PC. Right now I'm thinking I'd rather be over gun then under and buying something new right away!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you accept the concept of software rental then you should look into the Adobe Photographer Bundle. Photoshop and Lightroom for $10/month. You can't buy Photoshop anymore; Adobe's new business model is rental.

If not, then I would recommend Photoshop Elements. Almost Photoshop at a reasonable price. No upgrade path though. When Elements 14 comes out you have to purchase again at full price.

There was a lot of furor on the web when the new Adobe rental concept was launched, but that seems to have died down. Almost all business software is rented.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
There was a lot of furor on the web when the new Adobe rental concept was launched, but that seems to have died down. Almost all business software is rented.

I predict that that will swing back the other way. Fads like that always do. The question isn't whether, but when.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any suggestions on laptops and what software I should include."

IMHO, as always, I would not even consider any Apple product thin or thick!  Get a WIndoze 8.1 machine and get the fastest processor and largest hard drive you can afford.  As to software get Photoshop Elements.  You don't sound like a Lightroom user and/or a Photoshop user either.  But if this proves to be inncorrect, PSE skills will easily transfer to either one later on.

If PS is in your future, it can be a hog for the procesor (faster processor Smiley Happy).  And photos can become quite large and numerous (larger hard drive Smiley Happy).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements