cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to restart M50 camera to every few hours to use EOS Webcam Utility

DavidBlaine
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have been using the EOS webcam utility for my M50 mirrorless camera and it works great (Intel silicon MBP 2019 on MacOS Ventura). For as long as I have had it, if the camera is ON and has been idle for a while, when I try to use the camera in Teams or other software, instead of my video I get this error screen that says "EOS WEBCAM UTILITY" with a cord and a red slash through it. Then, if I restart my camera, then it works again. Anyone else with this same problem?

Having to turn off and on the camera several times a day is a pain in the butt. I suspect the camera is going into some sort of idle mode where it isn't sending data through the USB. Is there a way to keep the camera on indefinitely?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“I suspect the camera is going into some sort of idle mode where it isn't sending data through the USB. Is there a way to keep the camera on indefinitely?“.  

I’m not sure if you want the camera to stayed powered up indefinitely. It is likely to overheat.  

I have only used the Webcam Utility with DSLRs.  When not actively in-use, the DSLR drops the mirror and the camera goes idle.  I always shut it off at the end of a call to conserve battery life.  

Would an AC adapter “cure” your issue?  I would doubt it.  Potential for overheating should take priority over battery life.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hey, thanks for the reply. I do in fact have an AC adapter. I guess I just have to turn the camera off when I am done using it and turn it back on when I need it.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements